Jim Whitesell

JMM28

Looks like the flirtations with St Johns are back again.. .

1. If Jim Whitesell comes to #stjbb, it will be as a an assistant coach, not DOBO to replace Moe Hicks. Whitesell is a Rick Majerus disciple.

2. Steve Lavin is targeting SLU Associate HC Jim Whitesell to fill the vacant spot on #stjbb staff, per a source. Strong X's + O's pedigree.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't say i know much about the relationship between Whitesell and the other coaches and/or players, but it sure seems from a distance that there's a good dynamic going on with him on the staff. Seems like it'd be a real loss.

Of course, a vacancy on the staff could be a blessing in disguise (paging Mr. Tatum).

My observations last year --- at Temple, at GeeDub, in Brooklyn and even on TV --- seemed to show a happy couple when Whitesell and Crews were in the picture/in timeouts. I specifically watched this due to Crews getting the interim tag "over" Whitesell, who had been with Majerus at SLU longer. This also made last year's flirtation with St. John's somewhat expected; why stay at a place that obviously has said you ain't going any higher here. But it worked well.

It's mid-summer and things are progressing to towards another season so I guess the time is right. All the larger muscle movements (hires, conferences, etc.) have been completed. This would not be unexpected for me if Whitesell were to move. I will trust Crews to have a back-up plan at least thought about for the time being.

Tatum has yet to coach at CBC or wherever he currently is right? Cant's see that hire happening right now. But what do I know.

-if Whitesell leaves I wonder how it would impact recruiting?

-in my very limited talks with him he seems like a good guy

-turnover happens, hope if it happens it does not disrupt too much

-interesting, a NBE school after a SLU coach....

Looks like the flirtations with St Johns are back again.. .

1. If Jim Whitesell comes to #stjbb, it will be as a an assistant coach, not DOBO to replace Moe Hicks. Whitesell is a Rick Majerus disciple.

2. Steve Lavin is targeting SLU Associate HC Jim Whitesell to fill the vacant spot on #stjbb staff, per a source. Strong X's + O's pedigree.

And if we were in the Big East, we probably wouldn't even be having this conversation... :angry:

A very wise man (OkiBiliken) once said "I don't get up or upset about the assistants." (This was in response to my surprise at us getting Uncle Brad who was just fired from the head coaching position at Wisconsin.) Whitesell might be great for the bills but his job is probably among the easiest to replace.....

Adam Zagoria is reporting: "Can confirm that Jim Whitesell will likely join the #stjbb staff as an asst replacing Moe Hicks and the staff will shuffle assignments"

-can "confirm" something is "likely", is this guy a weatherman?

Adam Zagoria is reporting: "Can confirm that Jim Whitesell will likely join the #stjbb staff as an asst replacing Moe Hicks and the staff will shuffle assignments"

Is it 50/50? Or he may or may not be joining St. John's?

Here's what he says:

Adam Zagoria @AdamZagoria 35m

Can confirm that Jim Whitesell will likely join the #stjbb staff as an asst replacing Moe Hicks and the staff will shuffle assignments

But there's also:

Quinn Rochford @QSTJHoops 4m

Jim Whitesell is getting close to accepting job as assistant for #stjbb, per @JonRothstein. #sjubb

And a response:

Zach Braziller @NYPost_Brazille 3m

Heard its a possibility but not necessarily close @QSTJHoops: Jim Whitesell is getting close to accepting job as assistant for #stjbb,

TheUNewsSports @TheUNewsSports now

#SLU associate head coach Jim Whitesell appears to be headed to St. John's, per Jon Rothstein of WFAN 660 (CBS)

Figured that. Harriman goes for money, Whitsell looks to be doing the same...

At what point do the powers that be realize the pattern?

I'm sure they've long realized it. The question is whether they either care or have the ability to do anything about it (depending on which power it is).

Speaking of Harriman, saw this on ESPN. Really pisses you off when you see that we lose good coaches and in this case even better players because of money.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9525480/nebraska-cornhuskers-freshman-tai-webster-okd-ncaa

Yeah, that hurts. Wasn't it the amazing Porter Moser who suggested to the Nebraska coach to take a look at Harriman? :angry:

On the plus side, at least our assistants are in demand - Moser getting a HC job, Harriman, Jensen and now Whitesell. That is better than some of the assistants from the past who went nowhere or made lateral moves - Beane, Thorpe, some guy named Grunkermeyer?

Hopefully the Whitesell departure will be a good opportunity to expand our recruiting contacts. I have often felt that is long as we are in the A-10 and hopefully the Big East someday, it makes sense to have an assistant with strong East Coast connections.

it is not realistic to expect anyone to stay at an assistant's coach job when he / she gets an offer to be Head Coach somewhere at a significant multiple of his /her current salary. It is the way it is, should be expected if and when such offer comes.