Tatum Rally on Wednesday

A welcome rally of students (and anyone else interested) will gather in front of the quad around 4:00-4:15 pm to show support for Jayson on his campus visit. He will be walking by with his dad at 5:00 pm. Wear SLU Blue. Band and cheerleaders will be present. Maybe get some cheers going

Spread word about his campus visit on social media.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A welcome rally of students (and anyone else interested) will gather in front of the quad from around 12:00-1:00 to show support for Jayson on his campus visit. We do not know exactly when he will be walking around campus, but we figured to go ahead with that time frame anyways. Wear SLU Blue. Maybe get some cheers going, possibility of photo ops with the Legend himself.

Spread word on social media.

Wouldn't Tatum be in school at that time?

Wouldn't Tatum be in school at that time?

Possibly, though I and others figured he might take off school for the campus visit? Unfortunately we don't have a way of knowing for sure.... if anyone has any insider info on this please share. It would either be in the middle of the day if he takes off of school, or around 4-6 if he comes after school.

Possibly, though I and others figured he might take off school for the campus visit? Unfortunately we don't have a way of knowing for sure.... if anyone has any insider info on this please share. It would either be in the middle of the day if he takes off of school, or around 4-6 if he comes after school.

Call his dad at CBC. He might tell you, seriously.

It would also be a nice reminder to his dad that we really want Tatum

He seemed to be enjoying the chants and everything at the all century game.

Do we know that he will be walking around campus? I only ask because it seems he goes down to SLU pretty often so not sure if that is something they do every time or if he may just stay by Chaifetz.

Wouldn't the athletic dept tell you where and when. You'd think they'd love to have a large contingent of fans cheering for JT.

However, if you only end up with 40 fans it'll look pretty bad imo

40 fans would be great. Then again ... with proper planning it could be much more.

Wouldn't the athletic dept tell you where and when. You'd think they'd love to have a large contingent of fans cheering for JT.

However, if you only end up with 40 fans it'll look pretty bad imo

The athletic department coordinating it might be a violation.

40 fans would be great. Then again ... with proper planning it could be much more.

40 fans would be bad. It would suggest that something was tried and the best we could do was 40. Better to have no fans and a normal visit then a half assed showing.

40 fans would be bad. It would suggest that something was tried and the best we could do was 40. Better to have no fans and a normal visit then a half assed showing.

I agree. Go big or go home. Better to just have people that see or run into know we would love to have him come here. Given the game turnouts, I doubt you can get enough students together for a good rally.

I agree. Go big or go home. Better to just have people that see or run into know we would love to have him come here. Given the game turnouts, I doubt you can get enough students together for a good rally.

It really depends on if I can figure out what time he is coming. I have several sources I'm waiting for to get back to me, but if I can't find out that might be the case. Still trying to organize but it is difficult when many students could care less...

Kshoe's correct a small turnout would be an embarrassment and better to not do anything. Someone suggested free Pizza or BBQ at the Fetz, but what's he going to think, are they here for the food or me? He will get something special at the other 3 schools, ie Calipari could probably fill Rupp if he put out the word he needs help in landing him. My pitch would be to do nothing and let him compare the big rallies at the big 3, then tell him, "yeah, they're all great BB schools with great fan bases, and they'll still be great whether you go there or not, but you come to SLU you'll help us build our greatness and never be forgotten."

If we can't get a few hundred students and/or alumni to come out and cheer for the #1 recruit in the country ... then really if you were JT would you want to come here?

The point of him coming here rather than the big boys is to be a home town hero, to establish a legacy in StL that will last for years to come. How can this be true if we can't get a few hundred people out for a rally?

Who do you mean by "we?" I'm hoping that a major benefit of this exercise is to re-establish the connection between St. Louis (the city, not the school) basketball fans and the school. You can't even get a ticket at the door for Chaminade basketball games. Althoff, when they play in smaller venues, will be a tough ticket next year. This enthusiasm for high school basketball can absolutely be transferred to the college level. But you have to get some of your high school stars to stay.

If you're counting on the enthusiam of the general student population to tilt the recruiting scales, you're looking in the wrong direction . This is a provincial town. Fans love rooting for local guys. But those fans are off-campus, not on it. The students will eventually come along for the ride.

A few hundred's still going to look like chump change if the other 3 Powerhouses pull out all the stops. As I stated, Calipari could get SRO to welcome him to Lexington, Coach K could probably get a couple of thousand or more into Cameron, and the Dean Dome would be hopping as well. We don't have the degree of fanaticism or the numbers to compete at this level. I think Tatum probably is aware of this as well, so why even try. Maybe give every student on campus a sticker we love JT to walk around with all day. But to expect students and alumni to show up in any kind of significant number is unrealistic at this point.

If he was a Beals or Lee type we wouldn't even be an afterthought at this point. Obviously, by him putting us in his final 4, he's thinking of other than the usual factors that come into play when the numero uno player makes his choice. I believe these are in no particular order: 1.) Status choice to impress his AAU or Mickey D peers (kind of like whiz kids choosing between the Ivies), 2.) Basketball tradition which is closely related to number 1, 3.) Coach and staff as in how can they prepare me for the next level, 4.) Allegiance to the school, ie has the kid been a lifelong fan of any school, this often comes into play as in I've been wanting to be a Blue Devil from the first time I saw them on TV, 5.) TV exposure, 6.) Maybe availability of family and friends to see him play, 5.) Coed attraction and other social amenities, 6.) Facilities, 7.) Educational demands, which I'll wager aren't all that much at UK and am not sure about Duke either. Probably been tightened up at UNC since their unresolved scandal. There are probably more to be added to any player's check list, but I'd think these are the priorities.

Where would SLU fall in this checklist if he had to rate each one on a scale of 1-10? Pretty low I'd guess, so to be in his final 4 there must be an "out of the box" factor he's considering. I'd say it's rare for a young man with his future to be giving a lot of consideration to "community service" if you will, but that's what he'd be doing if he chose SLU. And if he chooses the Billiken hat, this is an amazing young man with a ton of character.

In regards to my above post, I wonder if he's questioning what might happen to UNC by the time the fall of 2016 rolls around. Now, the NCAA knows they've admitted to massive academic fraud, is that where it stops? No penalties for one of the nation's top programs, just because they are a top program? That's wrong, but so accepted under today's moral code, it's scary. It shows you can cheat, lie, etc and just because you're too big too fail you can get away with it.

Who do you mean by "we?" I'm hoping that a major benefit of this exercise is to re-establish the connection between St. Louis (the city, not the school) basketball fans and the school. You can't even get a ticket at the door for Chaminade basketball games. Althoff, when they play in smaller venues, will be a tough ticket next year. This enthusiasm for high school basketball can absolutely be transferred to the college level. But you have to get some of your high school stars to stay.

If you're counting on the enthusiam of the general student population to tilt the recruiting scales, you're looking in the wrong direction . This is a provincial town. Fans love rooting for local guys. But those fans are off-campus, not on it. The students will eventually come along for the ride.

I agree that Tatum coming to slu would do a ton for attendance, fan excitement, connection to the city, etc.

But this thread is about a fan rally during an on campus visit. I can't see how any group other than students could pull it off.

It's hard when a lot of students don't know or don't care. I don't think anything has been posted on social media about his visit. I like the sticker idea. Still trying to see what I can do, at least getting word out there to students that the number one recruit in the world is visiting would be beneficial.