A10 signs new media rights deals

kappy96

Saw this in this mornings edition of the Sports Business Daily. This is very encouraging.

• A-10 Signs Eight-Year Media Rights Deals With Three Networks

By John Ourand, Staff Writer

The Atlantic 10 Conference has signed eight-year media rights deals with ESPN, CBS Sports Network and NBC Sports Network starting with the '13-14 season. A formal announcement is expected to come today. Financial terms were not disclosed. Bevilacqua Helfant Ventures represented the A-10. The conference keeps a significant amount of digital and sponsorship rights, which it plans to use or sell separately. Under the new deals, the A-10 will double its number of national basketball game broadcasts to 96 (73 men's and 23 women's).

Saw this in this mornings edition of the Sports Business Daily. This is very encouraging.

• A-10 Signs Eight-Year Media Rights Deals With Three Networks

By John Ourand, Staff Writer

The Atlantic 10 Conference has signed eight-year media rights deals with ESPN, CBS Sports Network and NBC Sports Network starting with the '13-14 season. A formal announcement is expected to come today. Financial terms were not disclosed. Bevilacqua Helfant Ventures represented the A-10. The conference keeps a significant amount of digital and sponsorship rights, which it plans to use or sell separately. Under the new deals, the A-10 will double its number of national basketball game broadcasts to 96 (73 men's and 23 women's).

How good a deal this is will be in the details. How many games are on ESPN? What rights do we have to broadcast other games on local t.v.? How much does the deal pay (compare to the current deal and deals that conferences like the Big East have or are negotiating). Are we going to be a focal point for NBC and CBS Sports or just an afterthought?

Many of these things may take quite a while before we know how good a deal it is.

How good a deal this is will be in the details. How many games are on ESPN? What rights do we have to broadcast other games on local t.v.? How much does the deal pay (compare to the current deal and deals that conferences like the Big East have or are negotiating). Are we going to be a focal point for NBC and CBS Sports or just an afterthought?

Many of these things may take quite a while before we know how good a deal it is.

NBC is creating a new channel: NBC Billiken network - filled with left slanted opinions of Billiken basketball...at least its 24/7 Billiken basketball coverage.

At the very least, it would be extremely difficult for this not to be better than the current TV deal.

linda bruno saddled the conference terribly. the woman had absolutely no vision no guts. we (the a10) is still suffering from some of her small decisions.

At the very least, it would be extremely difficult for this not to be better than the current TV deal.

Totally agree. That being said, when it was first announced however many years ago, the current t.v. deal was hailed because it immediately meant more money. It didn't take too long into the first season when we realized the deal sucked because we couldn't get many games on local t.v. anymore. Hopefully our voices have been heard and there won't be any negative surprises this time around.

NBC is creating a new channel: NBC Billiken network - filled with left slanted opinions of Billiken basketball...at least its 24/7 Billiken basketball coverage.

Sounds great. Hopefully it's right next to the Longhorn network on my Uverse channel listing. There is nothing more exciting than flipping past highlights of some Texas game from 8 years ago against and knowing that some portion, however small, of my monthly AT&T bill is going towards that channel!

A10 website has details.

-8 year deal

-14 ESPN family games (as far as I can tell this is the same as the current deal)

-25 CBS College Sports games

-25 NBC Sports games

-ESPN/CBS for tourney final

-CBSCS for tourney semis

-NBCSN for tourney quarters

No mention of what it means for local rights or online service.

Sorry wrong the press release does say,

"A10 sponsorship rights and digital rights to games not selected by the national partners, both of which were incorporated in previous agreements, are NOT include in the new deals, giving the league flexibility in its active discussions to determine future platforms for its inventory."

HUGE

A10 website has details.

-8 year deal

-14 ESPN family games (as far as I can tell this is the same as the current deal)

-25 CBS College Sports games

-25 NBC Sports games

-ESPN/CBS for tourney final

-CBSCS for tourney semis

-NBCSN for tourney quarters

No mention of what it means for local rights or online service.

When they say 14 ESPN games, they are talking about games between two A-10 teams, correct? Several years ago, it seemed there was always an A-10 game on Thursday at 6 p.m. It would be nice to have a regular slot like that again, plus some Saturday afternoon conference games.

When they say 14 ESPN games, they are talking about games between two A-10 teams, correct? Several years ago, it seemed there was always an A-10 game on Thursday at 6 p.m. It would be nice to have a regular slot like that again, plus some Saturday afternoon conference games.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2012/10/58698/

Sorry wrong the press release does say,

"A10 sponsorship rights and digital rights to games not selected by the national partners, both of which were incorporated in previous agreements, are NOT include in the new deals, giving the league flexibility in its active discussions to determine future platforms for its inventory."

HUGE

This is where we should see much improvement from the previous contract. I am hopeful that this will greatly reduce the non-televised games going forward by giving us us more local-TV games that aren't picked uo by the national networks.

Is the ESPN3/Mobile part new? I think it is as that was the worst part of the last deal in that all the internet rights were sold for a song to CBS who treated them like PPV. Seems like they learned that "exclusivity" is bad and negotiated more open deals.

The NBC Sports part is new as well. It is not "all A-10, all the time" but it is better than the last deal.

Some financials released today, 40 mil total, 5 mill per year split among the teams, about 312k per season.

I'm glad we got a new deal with hopefully more games on TV but this seems kind of low. I know we don't have football but I was hoping we could get around a million per year per school. You would think a conference with Xavier, Butler, VCU, Dayton, UMass, Richmod, Rhode Island, Saitn Joseph's, and even us SLU could get more $$. These are names that college basketball fans across the country a familiar with.

Did some reaserch and :

- Big East basketball schools are currently getting 1.5 million per year and that will likely grow with their new contract.

- Couldn't find dollar amounts for the MVC or WCC but we get more national games than either of them. I'm guessing the $$ don't look good in those contracts or they would be online somewhere.

I'm glad we got a new deal with hopefully more games on TV but this seems kind of low. I know we don't have football but I was hoping we could get around a million per year per school. You would think a conference with Xavier, Butler, VCU, Dayton, UMass, Richmod, Rhode Island, Saitn Joseph's, and even us SLU could get more $$. These are names that college basketball fans across the country a familiar with.

Did some reaserch and :

- Big East basketball schools are currently getting 1.5 million per year and that will likely grow with their new contract.

- Couldn't find dollar amounts for the MVC or WCC but we get more national games than either of them. I'm guessing the $$ don't look good in those contracts or they would be online somewhere.

Perhaps the bb only schools in the BE get a boost by the BE telling the networks if you want the football then you have to pony up for the bb also - just a guess.