Top 144

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, bauman said:

Come on SLU 72 and hsmith19.  Raise your hands.  Not going back to check , but it seems like B Roy might also need to raise his hand.:rolleyes:;)

Hand raised, Bauman. Without going back thru this thread to check my predictions my recollection at first was I said somewhere between 130-110, then I went to like 109-90, then I think I said somewhere in the mid 80's. After the 80's passed and it went to the low 70's, I said no way we make it now. The past three years are just too much to overcome coupled with the uncertainty of how all these new guys are gonna mesh.  Ranked 58 blew my mind. I mean that is sniffing dance territory if things break just right for us. Of course, this guy is just predicting like we all are at this point, but it is good to get  outside reinforcement that our expectations for this year may be realistic. I also think we're going to be better than the next A10 team cited, Dayton or Richmond. Can I lower my hand now, Bauman?

Thought we would squeak in at the 130s. Color me surprised that CBM and Linday's are as enamored with our incoming talent as we are. I'm not buying the 58th overall ranking for a 4th place A10 team, though. Our conference simply isn't that good this year for 4th place to translate into an RPI of 58. We'll be lucky to get one team in the top 25.

4 hours ago, bauman said:

H, we have pretty much had a running (but good natured) battle about which team will be left out of the Top 144, Richmond or SLU.  Did I win a beer from you at a Billiken game? 

Now I am finding it hard to believe that Dayton will be predicted to finish above us in the conference.  They don't have much going for them except their reputation.

Yeah, you win. Props to you for having faith that our influx of talent would get its just due. And props to NYB for knowing the answer all along but not lording it over us until the very last couple days.

37 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Thought we would squeak in at the 130s. Color me surprised that CBM and Linday's are as enamored with our incoming talent as we are. I'm not buying the 58th overall ranking for a 4th place A10 team, though. Our conference simply isn't that good this year for 4th place to translate into an RPI of 58. We'll be lucky to get one team in the top 25.

Agree. We'll either do better than fourth in the conference or we won't be top 60 nationally.

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

Hand raised, Bauman. Without going back thru this thread to check my predictions my recollection at first was I said somewhere between 130-110, then I went to like 109-90, then I think I said somewhere in the mid 80's. After the 80's passed and it went to the low 70's, I said no way we make it now. The past three years are just too much to overcome coupled with the uncertainty of how all these new guys are gonna mesh.  Ranked 58 blew my mind. I mean that is sniffing dance territory if things break just right for us. Of course, this guy is just predicting like we all are at this point, but it is good to get  outside reinforcement that our expectations for this year may be realistic. I also think we're going to be better than the next A10 team cited, Dayton or Richmond. Can I lower my hand now, Bauman?

Yep, put it down.  Actually, since you thought we were going to make the list until it passed the mid-80s you probably never needed to raise it-my mistake!

I agree with you that we are going to be better than Dayton and Richmond, maybe even the Bonnies by the time the A10 tournament gets here.

A fun year after having to endure the "dead" yrs.

13 minutes ago, bauman said:

Yep, put it down.  Actually, since you thought we were going to make the list until it passed the mid-80s you probably never needed to raise it-my mistake!

I agree with you that we are going to be better than Dayton and Richmond, maybe even the Bonnies by the time the A10 tournament gets here.

A fun year after having to endure the "dead" yrs.

Thanks for the pass on the raise the hand deal. I never would have expected 58 and to be graded above the likes of Wisconsin, Auburn, Vandy, et al. I was a little worried, though, as I thought you were going to make me write on the board 500 times, "I will never doubt the Billikens again".

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Thanks for the pass on the raise the hand deal. I never would have expected 58 and to be graded above the likes of Wisconsin, Auburn, Vandy, et al. I was a little worried, though, as I thought you were going to make me write on the board 500 times, "I will never doubt the Billikens again".

72, you are showing your age.  They don't have boards to write on anymore in school rooms.  In fact, some schools are not even teaching cursive.  Twenty years from now everyone under 30 will sign their names the same way---"X"   Aahhhh, progress!

6 minutes ago, bauman said:

72, you are showing your age.  They don't have boards to write on anymore in school rooms.  In fact, some schools are not even teaching cursive.  Twenty years from now everyone under 30 will sign their names the same way---"X"   Aahhhh, progress!

Cursive is the new secret code for us senior citizens. Right, Old Guy?

Congrats to all posters in this thread!!!  We have made it 15 pages without any major flare-ups (Thicks did reprimand me on page two when I attempted to get the thread back on topic).  Fifteen pages almost solely related to Billiken Basketball and not other unnamed schools and Head Coaches.  Fifteen pages without any posts from "Coaches" both past and current.  A welcome relief!

This is almost as much fun as I expect the season to be.  Hopefully the bandwagon is getting crowded.  Just save room on the wagon for Gordon, Thatch and one more '18 commit.

One final thought; even when our friends 120 miles west have their number called, can we refrain from any, and I mean any, comments

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

We all agree that several A10 teams 'on paper' won't be as good as last year. But unless you take a very deep dive into college hoops, it is difficult to determine how many other schools in other conferences will be in a decline this year. Once OCC is over we will have a better idea of the league status. 

1 hour ago, bauman said:

Congrats to all posters in this thread!!!  We have made it 15 pages without any major flare-ups (Thicks did reprimand me on page two when I attempted to get the thread back on topic).  Fifteen pages almost solely related to Billiken Basketball and not other unnamed schools and Head Coaches.  Fifteen pages without any posts from "Coaches" both past and current.  A welcome relief!

This is almost as much fun as I expect the season to be.  Hopefully the bandwagon is getting crowded.  Just save room on the wagon for Gordon, Thatch and one more '18 commit.

One final thought; even when our friends 120 miles west have their number called, can we refrain from any, and I mean any, comments

<_< Okay, now you're just grandstanding and are edging off topic, yourself.

29 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

I had to teach my highschooler cursive.  He couldn't print fast enough and was failing tests as a result.  It's not a waste of time.  It's still damned necessary.   

Nope, it was a colossal waste of time and totally unnecessary. I can't remember the last time I wrote anything other than my name in cursive, or even for that matter the last time I wrote anything out by hand. I'm glad you helped your son solve his problem, but it probably would have been a better use of his time to learn to type and request that he be allowed to type his exam answers. It's completely crazy how much time was wasted for so many years on the penmanship BS. Now those kids are the adults running around who can't even pass the U.S. citizenship test.