Top 144

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

https://www.planetizen.com/node/81603/27-typical-patterns-urban-and-suburban-development

You're welcome.

PS: I don't see either Richmond or SJ as worthy of the top 70 this year, but at least one of them is going to make it on this list.

Didn't you just say 4 days ago (Friday at 11:07) that Richmond will make the list and SLU will not?   Correct me if I misunderstand your post, but it seems like you are now saying SLU will make the list along with either Richmond or St. Joe?  If so, welcome to the bandwagon, although I know we are only talking about some writer's ranking and not actual team performance.

5 minutes ago, bauman said:

Didn't you just say 4 days ago (Friday at 11:07) that Richmond will make the list and SLU will not?   Correct me if I misunderstand your post, but it seems like you are now saying SLU will make the list along with either Richmond or St. Joe?  If so, welcome to the bandwagon, although I know we are only talking about some writer's ranking and not actual team performance.

Wow, I really must be having trouble making myself clear here. Yes, I said earlier that I think both schools will make the list and we will not. What I am saying now is I don't think either SJ or Richmond really deserves to be as high as top 70. But now enough of the list has been revealed for us to know that at least one and possibly two of those schools will make it that high, even though I personally do not believe they deserve it. And yes, I am still leaving open the possibility that you are right and SLU will make the list and bump one of the other two off, as farfetched as I think that is at this point.

1 hour ago, hsmith19 said:

Wow, I really must be having trouble making myself clear here. Yes, I said earlier that I think both schools will make the list and we will not. What I am saying now is I don't think either SJ or Richmond really deserves to be as high as top 70. But now enough of the list has been revealed for us to know that at least one and possibly two of those schools will make it that high, even though I personally do not believe they deserve it. And yes, I am still leaving open the possibility that you are right and SLU will make the list and bump one of the other two off, as farfetched as I think that is at this point.

I think we will know pretty soon.  I would expect the two A-10 schools not named URI, VCU, Dayton or St. B (I can't believe the Bonnies are going to be better than us),  will both be named in the next 7 or 8.  Do you really think it is "farfetched" for both St Joe and Richmond to be in the top 72 and SLU being 145 plus ?

I just noticed the possibility that SLU might be # 72 or said another way SLU72, as in one of our frequent posters!

There's a whole bunch of schools between 144-73 that I think this year's Bills could handle quite easily. As I read your posts on this topic you've narrowed it down to 2 out of 3 A10 schools that should be named in the near future. I'd agree and think for us it will come down to how much of a stench did we leave in this guy's nostrils over the last three years.

St Joe in today at # 72.  That leaves one spot in the A-10 still up for grabs:;  either Richmond or the Bills.  I say SLU in the next 7-8 teams with Richmond left out.  By the way, the analysis of St. Joe makes them sound like they will be a tough team to beat if they can stay healthy this year.

Just about every poster on Billikens.com has been in agreement that the upcoming season will be a down year for the A10. The 144 has 72 teams to go, and as Bauman has pointed out the two A10 teams already listed were projected to be the 9th and 8th place teams in the conference. If Bauman's correct, that leaves 7 A10 teams in the top 72, which is pretty solid. Of course, these 7 teams could be given the next 7 spots all in a row, which would not be so solid. However, it's doubtful that will happen. Point being getting 9 teams in the top 144 is pretty good for a down year.

Based on what TajMahal 79 said about Richmond, I believe SLU will be the one this guy thinks is gonna suck. Richmond does return some of their core players who on paper appear to be more talented than our returning core players. No surprise there. But while he gives credit to the teams ranked between 144-70 who are reinforcing themselves w/ transfers, he must not think too much of ours. Also, he must not think too highly of Goodwin and French. As I stated earlier in this thread, the stench of our last three seasons is gonna be hard to shake.

After originally picking us to come in at #76, when the list got to that number without us, on 8/28 I amended my pick to #65 for us and a few times since then i predicted  us at # 64 or 65.  Looking at the list this morning after the three-day weekend, I see that they have now listed some big names below either us or Richmond.

Syracuse is #69 with its top rated recruit #151; Ok St is #68 with a top recruit of #105; Temple is #67 with its top recruit #156; and today Vandy is #66 with its top two recruits #103 and #149.  The Vandy write-up also discusses an old friend (Larry Austin Jr.) who transferred from Xavier after not getting a lot of playing time there.

We are now at the point where either Richmond or SLU will be #65 or better while the other school will be considered as 145 +++.  With our 4  1/2 transfers and our two highly rated recruits I just don't see how they could rate Richmond as at least 80 spots better than us, especially after Richmond lost its star player.  If they do, then they are clueless.  If they don't, then they know what a lot of us know (hope).

We need this season to start and the recruiting season to end.  I want both Gordon and Watson, but I also want the endless (and in some cases mindless) speculation on those two to end.

Go Bills!

11 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

Richmond returns four of their top six players from a top 100 team. I don't think they deserve to be top 65, but they were pretty good last year and aren't a totally new team like we are.

JJ is top 150, Goodwin and French are top 100. I believe Bess AD and Foreman were top 150. I would take betting odds on this team which is the most talented team on paper starting 5 than any other A10 team right now

1 minute ago, Glorydays2013 said:

JJ is top 150, Goodwin and French are top 100. I believe Bess AD and Foreman were top 150. I would take betting odds on this team which is the most talented team on paper starting 5 than any other A10 team right now

I expect national writers to look at things beyond just high school recruiting numbers, and the list to this point suggests as much. You can't expect somebody with no connection to SLU to ignore last year's results or pretend like returning starters don't matter.

4 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

I expect national writers to look at things beyond just high school recruiting numbers, and the list to this point suggests as much. You can't expect somebody with no connection to SLU to ignore last year's results or pretend like returning starters don't matter.

But the rankings?

Can someone explain to me why either SLU or Richmond will make the cut?

Because no way in hell, I dont care whos drinking what kool-aid, is SLU on the same level as Texas southern, UoSanFran, Albany, and Idaho. Besides, this also means a below .500 record. 

12 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

As to be expected, I disagree with your "can't expect."  Rothstein did and he's a respected national writer.

I think we will know shortly, in the next few days.  No matter which school (SLU or Richmond is left out) I think the Top 144 editors are making a mistake since both of those teams will be better than quite a few of the lower 45 of so teams which made the list.

I don't think Rothstein ignored anything. I'm sure he took all of the above into his equation. Glory is now saying (yet again) that recruiting rankings are the only thing that matters, and I don't think you can expect any decent national writer to agree with that.

11 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Can someone explain to me why either SLU or Richmond will make the cut?

Because no way in hell, I dont care whos drinking what kool-aid, is SLU on the same level as Texas southern, UoSanFran, Albany, and Idaho. Besides, this also means a below .500 record. 

I don't think either team will be below 144 at the end of the year. But if you don't know much about our transfers and look at our terrible RPI and other numbers from last year, I can see how you would bump us off the list. I don't really see a rationale for bumping Richmond off the list entirely. Yeah, they lost two senior starters, but they were a pretty balanced team last year and spread the scoring around.