Top 144

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, CenHudDude said:

Any guesses as to whether the Billikens will make CollegeSportsMadness top 144? 

Only if their writers have a clue.  At this point, I don't think many non=Billiken fans really understand the amount of change this team has undergone since last year.  Obviously, we could always be drinking too much blue cool aid, but I really think this is going to be the most fun team to watch since the Highmark/Claggs/Waldman era or the Gray/Douglass/Bonner era.

I think bauman is right spot on -- the issue will be do their writers really know?  Personally, I think we should be but the question is will these writers take a leap a faith as most of us have?  I am guessing no but if they do, the ranking should include Rhode Island (three returning good guards), the Bonnies (two returning good guards), VCU (because they are VCU), and Dayton (see VCU).  I also believe La Salle gets Top 144 based on their returnees and the loss of Price which I think is addition by subtraction.  The rest:

St. Joe's:  has a chance if they try to factor in returns from injury.  Kimble,  Newkirk.  Et. al.

Richmond:  I would think not.  Buckingham and Fore are okay but they lost too much with Cline and Jones.

Umass:  no fuoking way.  Program upheavel.

Duquesne:  ditto Umass.

Fordham:  triple ditto. 

Davidson:  I think so, I don't think Peyton Aldridge is enough but they have a nice nucleus back and that 4* point guard.

GeeDubya:  No.  Yuta is not enoupha.

Mason:  doubt it.  Not as bad as the triple dittos but not good enough IMHO.

Saint Louis:  I doubt it.  And I'm not too wrapped about that -- again I think we use the OOC to shape the team, understand who does what and when, set the rotations and aim for extended success in the conference season.  I'd like to see a post-season bid on the line in March but have not embraced that idea as a "do or die" situation.  I am ecstatis the [dead] years are long gone and fading in the rear-view mirror. 

I think we crack it this year, but it will be in the 130-110 range. I don't think this blog goes too deep into analysis but because of the programs our transfers came from I'd expect them to give us some respect. Also, Goodwin's high rating should help. Not sure what they'll say about French. If we don't make it, and there's a chance we won't, it's nothing to get too excited about.

20 hours ago, bauman said:

Only if their writers have a clue.  At this point, I don't think many non=Billiken fans really understand the amount of change this team has undergone since last year.  Obviously, we could always be drinking too much blue cool aid, but I really think this is going to be the most fun team to watch since the Highmark/Claggs/Waldman era or the Gray/Douglass/Bonner era.

Even if the writer is aware of all the players that Ford and company have brought in, our transfers have underperformed their high school rankings and our coach has a national reputation for underachieving with good talent.  We'll get picked to finish between 8th or 9th in the conference until we prove otherwise. That will be the justification for leaving us out of the top 144.  More motivation for our guys.

10 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Even if the writer is aware of all the players that Ford and company have brought in, our transfers have underperformed their high school rankings and our coach has a national reputation for underachieving with good talent.  We'll get picked to finish between 8th or 9th in the conference until we prove otherwise. That will be the justification for leaving us out of the top 144.  More motivation for our guys.

I'd be stunned if the A10 coaches or media pick us to finish 8th or 9th. We finished last year at 11th and they are all well aware of what we had on the bench and as signed LOIs. They'll pick us to finish 4-6.

1 minute ago, kshoe said:

I'd be stunned if the A10 coaches or media pick us to finish 8th or 9th. We finished last year at 11th and they are all well aware of what we had on the bench and as signed LOIs. They'll pick us to finish 4-6.

I have to agree. Not because of our improvement but because of a down year in the A10.

19 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I also project us to finish 4-6 but since the media has yet to agree with the consensus on Billikens.com, I'll assume the schism will continue.

43 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I also project us to finish 4-6 but since the media has yet to agree with the consensus on Billikens.com, I'll assume the schism will continue.

To be clear, I project us to finish top 3. The media will pick us 4-6.

2 hours ago, kshoe said:

Kshoe, you are a wise man!  I agree with your top 3 and I think we will have come together as a team by the end of the regular season so that we have a real shot at winning the conference tournament. NCAA here we come.

2 hours ago, kshoe said:

Agreed.  Media seems to only want to talk about us getting 2 top 100, which I can could see why.  But they fail to look at just how big AD and Bess will be, along with Foreman and the bench whom have already won themselves a few leagues games. 

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Agreed.  Media seems to only want to talk about us getting 2 top 100, which I can could see why.  But they fail to look at just how big AD and Bess will be, along with Foreman and the bench whom have already won themselves a few leagues games. 

In fairness to just about anybody's views...its' incredibly difficult to predict how this team will do since it's possible 7 of the top 8 players on this team played a combined total of 20 college games in the last calendar year, but I definitely think we'll be good.

The recent practice videos where we never missed a shot and slowed down in mid-air during the dunks only make me that much more certain.

33 minutes ago, kshoe said:

In fairness to just about anybody's views...its' incredibly difficult to predict how this team will do since it's possible 7 of the top 8 players on this team played a combined total of 20 college games in the last calendar year, but I definitely think we'll be good.

The recent practice videos where we never missed a shot and slowed down in mid-air during the dunks only make me that much more certain.

I'm going to have to agree with you there.  I analyzed this practice video against practice videos over the past ten years and we'll be better. My only 2 concerns are what if Gordon's practice video is better and he then decides to complete all his courses early so he can be a grad transfer?

Just sayin' it could happen.

Just pulled up the Top 144 website.  Our potential opponent Washington U comes in at #136.  Here is what they say about #142 Illinois State transfer Yarbrough.

Who’s In:
Milik Yarbrough might be the most impactful addition of the six new players entering the Illinois State program. Yarbrough is a former All A-10 Freshman team member from his time with Saint Louis and shares a resemblance to MiKyle McIntosh both in terms of size and style of play. At 6-6 and 230 pounds, he will be able to play both forward positions, but he will most likely see a majority of his minutes at power forward. The redshirt junior can use his size and strength to score in the post, but also can play on the perimeter. After being a key piece for Saint Louis as a freshman, Yarbrough saw his minutes and production decrease in his sophomore season. He averaged 10.0 points and 4.8 rebounds in 23.7 minutes per game as a freshman and dipped to 7.7 points, 4.6 rebounds, and 19.3 minutes per game as a sophomore. He did, however, increase his three point percentage significantly from 20% to 35.7 percent despite increasing his attempts. Yarbrough looks poised to crack the starting lineup and will provide ISU with an experienced versatile scorer which they desperately need after Hawkins and McIntosh’s departures.

41 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Just pulled up the Top 144 website.  Our potential opponent Washington U comes in at #136.  Here is what they say about #142 Illinois State transfer Yarbrough.

Who’s In:
Milik Yarbrough might be the most impactful addition of the six new players entering the Illinois State program. Yarbrough is a former All A-10 Freshman team member from his time with Saint Louis and shares a resemblance to MiKyle McIntosh both in terms of size and style of play. At 6-6 and 230 pounds, he will be able to play both forward positions, but he will most likely see a majority of his minutes at power forward. The redshirt junior can use his size and strength to score in the post, but also can play on the perimeter. After being a key piece for Saint Louis as a freshman, Yarbrough saw his minutes and production decrease in his sophomore season. He averaged 10.0 points and 4.8 rebounds in 23.7 minutes per game as a freshman and dipped to 7.7 points, 4.6 rebounds, and 19.3 minutes per game as a sophomore. He did, however, increase his three point percentage significantly from 20% to 35.7 percent despite increasing his attempts. Yarbrough looks poised to crack the starting lineup and will provide ISU with an experienced versatile scorer which they desperately need after Hawkins and McIntosh’s departures.

Also led the A-10 losing the ball going to the hoop.

24 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Also led the A-10 losing the ball going to the hoop.

Will be interesting to see how his career goes.  I always felt that he could have been a special player under a good coach.  Could also see a scenario where he flames out completely.