Top 144

GM was a winning team last year. LS was a .500 team. Both were middle of the pack in the A10. We were in the cellar. I know on here we are working hard to forget last season ever happened, but I doubt national writers are quite as committed as we are at this. Even for writers who know Goodwin and French, I am sure they look at last year's results to evaluate the returning/supporting cast and conclude there is just not anything there.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, slu72 said:

It's definitely getting interesting for whether we get named or ignored. If, as Bauman points out, the guy sticks to his conference rankings we could be coming up in the near future, or maybe not. Although, it's hard for me to understand how we'd be rated lower than both GMU and LaSalle in the conference. Since this guy is giving OSU so much credit for their incoming recruits, you'd expect he'd do the same for SLU with Goodwin and French coming on board.

....along with our 3 (4) transfers.  Slu 72, it's not a question of IF he will stick "to his conference rankings."   That is the way that site does it.  We are now in the position of (1)  coming in in the top 76, with either Richmond or St. Joe not making the top 144 or (2) Richmond and St Joe both coming in as top 76 teams and us not even being a top 144.  I think option (1) will play out.

1 minute ago, bauman said:

....along with our 3 (4) transfers.  Slu 72, it's not a question of IF he will stick "to his conference rankings."   That is the way that site does it.  We are now in the position of (1)  coming in in the top 76, with either Richmond or St. Joe not making the top 144 or (2) Richmond and St Joe both coming in as top 76 teams and us not even being a top 144.  I think option (1) will play out.

You'd think so. But this is SLU hoops we're talking about, and it wouldn't surprise me to be on the short end of anyone's stick. It's hard being a Bills fan. I really haven't done any research on either Richmond or St. Joes other than read Taj Mahal 79's posts about the A10, since he really does study the league. From what he's written on here supposedly St. Joes gets some injured key players back from IR. So, who knows what the guy does with that info. Richmond, I gather lost some key guys but have no idea who they're bringing in to replace them. As for us, yes this guy may give us some marks for Goodwin and French. But how much credit for the transfers will determine our fate.

20 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

GM was a winning team last year. LS was a .500 team. Both were middle of the pack in the A10. We were in the cellar. I know on here we are working hard to forget last season ever happened, but I doubt national writers are quite as committed as we are at this. Even for writers who know Goodwin and French, I am sure they look at last year's results to evaluate the returning/supporting cast and conclude there is just not anything there.

We were not in the cellar... 11 out of 14. 

You can be a SLU fan and still believe that a national writer who makes a ranking list might slight us because he doesn't completely appreciate the changes on the team or doesn't completely know about them.  Why would you question if someone is a SLU fan over an opinion of someone else's opinion?

5 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

You can be a SLU fan and still believe that a national writer who makes a ranking list might slight us because he doesn't completely appreciate the changes on the team or doesn't completely know about them.  Why would you question if someone is a SLU fan over an opinion of someone else's opinion?

Because he's a mouth-breathing moron.

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Bottom third of the league = cellar. At any rate, we were dead last on kenpom, dead last in SRS, and 13th out of 14 in RPI. To pretend like we weren't terrible last year or like national writers don't pay attention to this stuff is just silly.

1 minute ago, hsmith19 said:

Because he's a mouth-breathing moron.

But at least he doesn't pick Richmond to be, at least, 68 spots better than us in this ranking system.  I see you are in the Blue big donation seats.  I hope you are the only one in that section of big donors that has your opinion.

Just now, bauman said:

But at least he doesn't pick Richmond to be, at least, 68 spots better than us in this ranking system.  I see you are in the Blue big donation seats.  I hope you are the only one in that section of big donors that has your opinion.

I'm not talking about where I would rank SLU nationally. I'm talking about where this national writer who has no connection to SLU is going to rank us. What part of this are you having trouble with, exactly?

8 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

Bottom third of the league = cellar. At any rate, we were dead last on kenpom, dead last in SRS, and 13th out of 14 in RPI. To pretend like we weren't terrible last year or like national writers don't pay attention to this stuff is just silly.

Golly, how did they miss it regarding Oregon State, 5-27/1-17?  My definition of cellar at least doesn't just pick numbers out of the air.  I don't think I have ever seen cellar defined as bottom 1/3 of something

Just now, hsmith19 said:

I'm not talking about where I would rank SLU nationally. I'm talking about where this national writer who has no connection to SLU is going to rank us. What part of this are you having trouble with, exactly?

You are just a lot smarter than me!

3 minutes ago, bauman said:

Golly, how did they miss it regarding Oregon State, 5-27/1-17?

It's almost like national writers might look at the Pac 12 as a bigger conference than the A10, or look on their 4* guard more highly than our 4* guard. Gee, who ever could have imagined that?

1 minute ago, bauman said:

You are just a lot smarter than me!

When it comes to predicting how this writer will rank us, yes, I think I am being much more realistic. But if you turn out to be right and this writer ranks us in the top 75, I will be the first to admit you were right and I was wrong.

2 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

When it comes to predicting how this writer will rank us, yes, I think I am being much more realistic. But if you turn out to be right and this writer ranks us in the top 75, I will be the first to admit you were right and I was wrong.

Fair enough

1 hour ago, hsmith19 said:

This is a good point. While I hope this season has better results, this reminds me of the build up to the 2005-06 season. We were terrible in 2004-05, but we were optimistic for the next season because Kevin Lisch and Tommie Liddell were coming in as freshmen. Admittedly, Lisch and Liddell weren't as heralded in the rankings as Goodwin and French, plus SLU didn't have 4 transfers becoming eligible. Nevertheless, most, if not all pundits had us in the lower tier of the A-10, likely because we sucked the year before and most pundits don't have a great understanding of all recruits. What happened? Lisch and Liddell both made the All Freshman team, and Ian Vouyoukas greatly improved to the level of being named First Team All Conference, and we finished 4th in the conference.  

I'm not expecting to be picked in the bottom half of the league in most predictions in the preseason, but I'm not going to flip out if someone is lazy and doesn't do a deep dive into our team and picks us lower.

1 hour ago, ACE said:

11th or 14th...we still sucked.

3 minutes ago, bauman said:

Golly, how did they miss it regarding Oregon State, 5-27/1-17?

Oregon St. was ranked higher than us by both Sagarin and Pomeroy last season,  they return everyone from their team last season, get back a injured star player who missed almost the whole season and add a top 40 recruit.  It isn't hard to see how people would think they might be ranked higher by this site.  

When I saw how many A10 made it earlier in the countdown I thought we would make it.  If we don't make it it in the next few teams we are getting left out.  Oregon State's situation is actually really similar to ours.  I think we are getting a bigger infusion of talent overall, but I can see how many looking at the rosters from 30,000 feet can think the Beavers are in better shape.

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

Oregon St. was ranked higher than us by both Sagarin and Pomeroy last season,  they return everyone from their team last season, get back a injured star player who missed almost the whole season and add a top 40 recruit.  It isn't hard to see how people would think they might be ranked higher by this site.  

When I saw how many A10 made it earlier in the countdown I thought we would make it.  If we don't make it it in the next few teams we are getting left out.  Oregon State's situation is actually really similar to ours.  I think we are getting a bigger infusion of talent overall, but I can see how many looking at the rosters from 30,000 feet can think the Beavers are in better shape.

Actually, at this point and since Davidson was included at # 84, the only comparisons that need to be made are between Richmond, St Joe and SLU.  Whichever of those 3 teams the editors of Top 144 believe to be the weakest of the three will not be included in the top 144.  The other two will be, both probably in the next 10 or so rated teams.

Another of our opponents make the list around the mid-point.  Houston in today at #74, Oregon St at #77, joining Davidson, #84.  hs...19 has us at +144, I had thought we would come in in the mid-70s (I predicted 76).  Now it is looking more like #65 for us.  I guess it really doesn't matter which one of us is right as long as we outperform what many are predicting.

Moving away from T Watson being an alien, McBroom getting married and the SLU hospital looking suburban (whatever that is) and back to more SLU MBB related issues, FL Gulf Coast was just named #73 and the only Atlantic Sun school that will make the list.  That leaves only one more one-team conference to get a spot-I think that will be Bucknell in the Patriot Conf.

The analysis of recent teams has been interesting in that the Top 144 writers have been focusing on large scale additions to those teams.  FL Gulf Coast makes the list despite not having any top 100 recruits.  They are coached by an old friend, Joe Dooley, who was speculated to be the Bills HC after Mr. Wonderful got canned.  I will take T Ford any day over Dooley.  

The remaining 72 spots will be taken by the following conferences with their number of teams yet to be named in ( ).

ACC  (11); Amer East (1); AAC (6); A-10 (6); Big 12 (9); Big East (7); Big Ten (9); Colonial (1);  CUSA (1) MWC (3); Pac 12 (6); SEC (9); WCC (2) and one likely going to the Patriot Conf.

My original thought was us at #76, but once that spot was filled I revised my "prediction" to #65.  I'd be happy with that, although I think we will be better by the end of February.

28 minutes ago, bauman said:

Moving away from T Watson being an alien, McBroom getting married and the SLU hospital looking suburban (whatever that is) and back to more SLU MBB related issues, FL Gulf Coast was just named #73 and the only Atlantic Sun school that will make the list.  That leaves only one more one-team conference to get a spot-I think that will be Bucknell in the Patriot Conf.

The analysis of recent teams has been interesting in that the Top 144 writers have been focusing on large scale additions to those teams.  FL Gulf Coast makes the list despite not having any top 100 recruits.  They are coached by an old friend, Joe Dooley, who was speculated to be the Bills HC after Mr. Wonderful got canned.  I will take T Ford any day over Dooley.  

The remaining 72 spots will be taken by the following conferences with their number of teams yet to be named in ( ).

ACC  (11); Amer East (1); AAC (6); A-10 (6); Big 12 (9); Big East (7); Big Ten (9); Colonial (1);  CUSA (1) MWC (3); Pac 12 (6); SEC (9); WCC (2) and one likely going to the Patriot Conf.

My original thought was us at #76, but once that spot was filled I revised my "prediction" to #65.  I'd be happy with that, although I think we will be better by the end of February.

https://www.planetizen.com/node/81603/27-typical-patterns-urban-and-suburban-development

You're welcome.

PS: I don't see either Richmond or SJ as worthy of the top 70 this year, but at least one of them is going to make it on this list.