Jamal Walker - Now or Later?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, FromDaEastSide said:

Don't really trust Matter but this is interesting.

That is indeed interesting, if true. The whole weekend it was reported Tate and Ford were recruiting in Columbia. I figured Van Macon and Bailey were out recruiting elsewhere but who knows. 

1 minute ago, kshoe said:

That is indeed interesting, if true. The whole weekend it was reported Tate and Ford were recruiting in Columbia. I figured Van Macon and Bailey were out recruiting elsewhere but who knows. 

Is there a limit on the number of assistants you can have? Obviously there are financial considerations, but wasn't sure if there's a NCAA rule

4 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Is there a limit on the number of assistants you can have? Obviously there are financial considerations, but wasn't sure if there's a NCAA rule

Yes. Only 3 can actively be involved in recruiting so for all practical purposes 3 is the number. You can hire others to do more grunt work but Walker would  be well above that.

7 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Yes. Only 3 can actively be involved in recruiting so for all practical purposes 3 is the number. You can hire others to do more grunt work but Walker would  be well above that.

Thanks. I figured as much. If that's the case, not sure it would be a "no-brainer" to pursue Walker. Ford seems to have put together a staff that is delivering players.

31 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

I think everyone owes that STL Insider an apology. If he is right and SLU is trying to get Walker, I think it goes unsaid that SLU is trying to get Tilmon....

Nobody thinks we are not interested in Tilmon.  Just some things are better off unsaid when you are talking about a kid already signed with another program.

9 minutes ago, WestCoastBilliken said:

And if that is the case then we can hire walker since per above you can only have 3 assistants active in recruiting  

That would effectively be a demotion for Bailey. He'd likely quit before being relegated to a non recruiting role.

keep in mind that he may be a "player developer" right now but to have any future in this game you have to be a part of the recruiting scene.

When Crews/Platt was here, we had endless drama. Unless I am wrong I saw none of that this year. I thought what they did on the recruiting front and how the team transformed as the season progressed was short of being a miracle. As much as I love to get Jamal, an alum, I say keep the present coaching staff intact. 

27 minutes ago, kshoe said:

That would effectively be a demotion for Bailey. He'd likely quit before being relegated to a non recruiting role.

keep in mind that he may be a "player developer" right now but to have any future in this game you have to be a part of the recruiting scene.

Woa woa...don't you think we had just a little player development this year? How did this team that was designated most likely to not win a conference game actually win those 5 games? Yes, recruiting is key, but we have a hornet's nest next year with a whole bunch of new faces and all thinking they are going to turn this team around! These guys will need to be taught the TF way to do things, to improve their FT shooting, play tough defense, etc. 

let's not be moving assistants in and out of the program just to land one guy. Can the new guy do the same in practice as the old guy?

if you ever went to practice, you saw what a zero Platt was there, even worse than what he did with recruiting.

Lets leave the assistants up to TF. He picked them all for a reason, and it's working just fine, thank you!

36 minutes ago, tarheelbilliken said:

When Crews/Platt was here, we had endless drama. Unless I am wrong I saw none of that this year. I thought what they did on the recruiting front and how the team transformed as the season progressed was short of being a miracle. As much as I love to get Jamal, an alum, I say keep the present coaching staff intact. 

endless drama would of at least made it interesting. It was closer to endless misery.

Article in the Post-Dispatch said,

"Assistant coach Jamall Walker, who has served as interim head coach since Groce was fired, will remain on Underwood’s staff."  

Makes sense.  I bet Underwood didn't have a choice on Walker (at least this year).  Walker comes with the job and $3M.

12 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Perhaps Bailey is looking for other opportunities - who knows.  If Underwood keeps Walker for only one year I think that would be a bit awkward.

With all this Walker talk from other sources saying he will stay, I honestly get the feeling that they are trying to tell that on media to fans and recruits, with no real statement from Walker to pressure Walker into staying. Walker has no relationship with Underwood and Underwood just proved himself to be disloyal to OSU after a speech that he is going to stay with them (OSU). I can see Walker not wanting to work with him. The guy did well at SFA but he wasn't loyal to the other assistants from OSU or his recruits

2 hours ago, Billikenbooster said:

Woa woa...don't you think we had just a little player development this year? How did this team that was designated most likely to not win a conference game actually win those 5 games? Yes, recruiting is key, but we have a hornet's nest next year with a whole bunch of new faces and all thinking they are going to turn this team around! These guys will need to be taught the TF way to do things, to improve their FT shooting, play tough defense, etc. 

let's not be moving assistants in and out of the program just to land one guy. Can the new guy do the same in practice as the old guy?

if you ever went to practice, you saw what a zero Platt was there, even worse than what he did with recruiting.

Lets leave the assistants up to TF. He picked them all for a reason, and it's working just fine, thank you!

Try to follow along:

- Text from Dave Matter suggests SLU offered Walker a position. If true, the only person that could have done that was Ford.

- A discussion of how that could be possible given you can only have 3 assistants with recruiting responsibilities and a hypothetical discussion of who would leave if Walker was to come in.

- This wasn't fans trying to get rid of any coaches or anything like that, just a logical discussion of what would have to actually happen for Walker to come here.

21 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Try to follow along:

- Text from Dave Matter suggests SLU offered Walker a position. If true, the only person that could have done that was Ford.

- A discussion of how that could be possible given you can only have 3 assistants with recruiting responsibilities and a hypothetical discussion of who would leave if Walker was to come in.

- This wasn't fans trying to get rid of any coaches or anything like that, just a logical discussion of what would have to actually happen for Walker to come here.

Agree. I think we all know Ford is going to be setting up something HUGE. I think the new developments for the facilities are going to be under construction soon and more recruiting news. I also am thinking, and something that wasn't brought up before, I think Ford has a BIG contract, and it is secret because if the SLU population knew about it, they would be pissed with the cutting that just happened. Therefore they kept it under wraps to avoid saying the obvious, that a top level SLU team can bring in a lot of the students we want/ have been declining