SLU_Nick

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

No it isn't.

Illinois could be self-sustaining with the right coach from the State of Illinois keeping Illinois players home.

Indiana is not similarly self-sustaining. Lou Henson once chastised Bobby Knight:  "He raids our state."

I agree with 3-Star that Cuonzo Martin is probably the best current choice potentially out there for Illinois.

Indiana and OSU are the best jobs in the B10. Illinois is in the middle somewhere. I don't even know how you can make an argument aside from, "well if they did this and this and this, and if this goes right and this goes right..." -- which I guess is what you are attempting to say? 

8 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Indiana and OSU are the best jobs in the B10. Illinois is in the middle somewhere. I don't even know how you can make an argument aside from, "well if they did this and this and this, and if this goes right and this goes right..." -- which I guess is what you are attempting to say? 

Huh? Did Michigan State leave the conference? I would say MSU are a top 5-7 program overall.

1 hour ago, majerus mojo said:

Huh. Illinois has a great class coming in which should remain largely intact. Mizzou is a dumpster fire 

We will see if that class remains intact.

What I am trying to say is if you are a coach looking for your last job, Illinois is the better job by far.  

If you are looking for a job that will get you in line for one of the top 10 jobs in the country in 5 or 6 years, Mizzou is the better job for that right now.  It will be the job where you can show a dramatic improvement quickly.  Mizzou's basketball facilities are better than the Illini's. Plus, you don't have to compete with Michigan St, Indiana, Michigan, Maryland, Wisconsin Ohio St. and Purdue for spots at the top of the conference.

I don't like Mizzou basketball, but I have to admit that job actually has some things going for it.

41 minutes ago, brianstl said:

We will see if that class remains intact.

What I am trying to say is if you are a coach looking for your last job, Illinois is the better job by far.  

If you are looking for a job that will get you in line for one of the top 10 jobs in the country in 5 or 6 years, Mizzou is the better job for that right now.  It will be the job where you can show a dramatic improvement quickly.  Mizzou's basketball facilities are better than the Illini's. Plus, you don't have to compete with Michigan St, Indiana, Michigan, Maryland, Wisconsin Ohio St. and Purdue for spots at the top of the conference.

I don't like Mizzou basketball, but I have to admit that job actually has some things going for it.

I'd be surprised if IL loses any recruits.  It seems that they are going to be able to attract an outstanding HC who should be able to keep the recruiting class intact.

Interesting thing happened on Illini Scout writer's Twitter feed yesterday.  Derek Piper tweeted

Just spoke w/ @JavonPickett. Told me he will stick with Illinois. Said 2017 recruits texted right after news. Expects group to stay together

Took it down about an hour later supposedly because Pickett claimed to have not said it and asked that Piper take it down.

• davidnark changed the title to I hope tilmon decides to go to slu now
45 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Interesting thing happened on Illini Scout writer's Twitter feed yesterday.  Derek Piper tweeted

Took it down about an hour later supposedly because Pickett claimed to have not said it and asked that Piper take it down.

Illini message boards are going crazy with rumors about us being in Tilmon's ear. 

26 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

Illini message boards are going crazy with rumors about us being in Tilmon's ear. 

People can be telling Tilmon to go to SLU now without anyone from SLU being in his ear.  There are people in Tilmon's circle that are pro SLU and were pro SLU when Tilmon committed to the Illini.  They can tell Tilmon whatever they want, whenever they want and no NCAA violations are committed.  It isn't that hard to figure out who these people probably are and why they are pro SLU.  It has nothing to do with bags of money.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

People can be telling Tilmon to go to SLU now without anyone from SLU being in his ear.  There are people in Tilmon's circle that are pro SLU and were pro SLU when Tilmon committed to the Illini.  They can tell Tilmon whatever they want, whenever they want and no NCAA violations are committed.  It isn't that hard to figure out who these people probably are and why they are pro SLU.  It has nothing to do with bags of money.

Obviously I agree with that. I just find it hilarious that they believe SLU would dip in NCAA violation territory because Ford is at the helm. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, prebilliken said:

Obviously I agree with that. I just find it hilarious that they believe SLU would dip in NCAA violation territory because Ford is at the helm. :rolleyes:

I thought Kansas was his 2nd choice.  I think ILL is putting a full court press on all the recruits to stick with their LOIs and promising that they will bring in a big-time coach.

3 hours ago, prebilliken said:

It's not fair for SLU to do what programs like us do and get away with!!! 

20 minutes ago, bauman said:

I thought Kansas was his 2nd choice.  I think ILL is putting a full court press on all the recruits to stick with their LOIs and promising that they will bring in a big-time coach.

If you believe the internet, Tilmon was thisclose to flipping to SLU, then he got caught taking money from $LU and quickly said he was going to actually go to Kansas, then Groce and Jamal Walker flew to East St. Louis and swayed Tilmon back to Illinois. 

7 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

If you believe the internet, Tilmon was thisclose to flipping to SLU, then he got caught taking money from $LU and quickly said he was going to actually go to Kansas, then Groce and Jamal Walker flew to East St. Louis and swayed Tilmon back to Illinois. 

Hahahahah 

30 minutes ago, bauman said:

Why would you want to risk staying with a coach who may not want you? Especially a big name coach... more likely to recruit over you. 

As far as I am concerned, this is beyond me and is probably not going to follow the rules of reason. Tillmon will do whatever he decides to do. If he comes to SLU we will celebrate, it not, it will be so bad. I agree he is a great player and would be a great addition to the Bills, all else is in the air.