SLU Baseball in some hot water?

TheBand

When I was in college, the baseball players were the absolute worst. Appears things haven't changed.

+1

John Rocker was more the norm than the outlier in baseball circles. My son was the batboy for a Braves farm team for two years when Rocker was in their system. He told me stuff that made his NY City comments look like child's play.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Such ignorant comments, a real embarrassment to the university.

There probably is nothing that can be done to the players, though the university environment might become a lot more hostile to them. Some may leave on their own.

The coaching staff will probably get the worst of it.

And people wonder why African-Americans don't play baseball more. There are plenty of reasons. But in a sport predominately played by white kids from Florida, Texas, and the plains states, I'm sure these ignorant and racist temperaments are much too common.

Such ignorant comments, a real embarrassment to the university.

There probably is nothing that can be done to the players, though the university environment might become a lot more hostile to them. Some may leave on their own.

The coaching staff will probably get the worst of it.

And people wonder why African-Americans don't play baseball more. There are plenty of reasons. But in a sport predominately played by white kids from Florida, Texas, and the plains states, I'm sure these ignorant and racist temperaments are much too common.

Nice way to paint with a broad brush in your last statement. Stereotypes are terrible, allow me to stereotype entire states of people. Dick

Or because it is a hard sport to play in (poorer) urban areas...either way.

The "Why don't more black kids play baseball?" question is certainly a complex one, one that's been asked for quite a while now, and one with a lot of factors. This incident is probably more effect than cause, though.

Regardless, black D-I high school baseball prospects aren't coming to SLU anytime soon.

Nice way to paint with a broad brush in your last statement. Stereotypes are terrible, allow me to stereotype entire states of people. Dick

Funny (sad) that the comments referenced in the original post don't draw your ire, but rather a comment about some people from the state of Texas gets you worked up - :wacko:

I wondered if he was involved when I saw the headline. He wasn't on the team yet, was he?

He's listed as a freshman. So are both of the team's black players, interestingly enough.

Funny (sad) that the comments referenced in the original post don't draw your ire, but rather a comment about some people from the state of Texas gets you worked up - :wacko:

you ACE.

I don't appreciate being painted as a racist because of where I live. I don't tolerate racism so it's a grave insult thus the ire. You can't seem to glean such details

###### you ACE.

I don't appreciate being painted as a racist because of where I live. I don't tolerate racism so it's a grave insult thus the ire. You can't seem to glean such details

Unfortunately, the same people who actually believe these generalizations (elsewhere) now paint all of STL with the broad brush of "they're all racist"

I dont agree with what was said, but this was clearly a free speech issue. I dont think SLU has any ability to discipline without creating some legal issues for them. This was a private text message conversation and not a public statement representing SLU.

Free speech means the government cannot repress your speech. A private university can certainly pull your scholarship, your right to play baseball, and/or your right to attend their university, as they should. The problem is that ignorance along these lines is a learned behavior, most often from parents. We can fully expect some equally ignorant parents of players to come to the defense of their racist boys. The whole things is an unfortunate event for the university and an embarrassment to all alumni.

I think the best comparison here is what happened at the University of Oklahoma last year, where members of a fraternity were shown singing a very racist chant in a video. Students were expelled from the school. At the time, I read several people write that since OU is a state school, the students would have a decent chance of success if they had filed suit to contest their dismissal on a free speech basis. At the same time, I remember telling people that at a private school like SLU, the school could have dismissed the students without any strong pushback on a free speech basis. I'd say that generally applies here. If this was a law school exam or bar exam question, I could write a few sentences to suggest that SLU should be subject to the same treatment as a state school, but I'd generally think SLU could dismiss the students with impunity, at least on the free speech front.