Big East Talk

Fansince59

-so what you are saying is we are not the only program that has problems at the table??

-that SLU game at Hinkle was a blast

Believe it or not, it has happened elsewhere - and at the only place where problems at the table could spill out into a heated situation with players, coaches, and fans all jammed in the same small quarters right after the game.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

+1

We had a great time that weekend.

Hinkle is a fun place. The architectural quirks can make for some unusual moments. A few years back (pre-Big East rivalry), Xavier and Butler had a controversial finish there. The clock stopped twice for long stretches - once with about 45 seconds left, and again with about 14 seconds left. Xavier was up 1 during all of it. The last play of the game was a scramble for the ball that resulted in Butler ending up with it and laying it in with 2 seconds left - so the long stoppages clearly helped the home team. The refs were called over to the table and rewound to the stoppage at 14 seconds, determining that it was exactly the amount of time remaining on the clock, and saying Butler's layup would have been released with 0.1 seconds left - so they called the game over at that point, taking away Xavier's last remaining chance. The worst part is that had they noticed the stoppage earlier in the last minute, Butler never would've had a chance for the last put-in. It was nuts.

Anyway, the visiting team has to walk through the concourse (really a hallway) to get to their locker room, and the ramps down from the upper deck lead down there. So the ushers have to hold off the fans from exiting while the visiting team heads into the locker room. It was on the side where visiting fans sit, so there was a mix of Xavier and Butler fans on the ramp as the team walked by and it got heated, especially after Kenny Frease started beating up a Pepsi machine and drinking fountain. A guy next to us on the ramp started talking ###### to my wife and her sister while we were held up, and this carried on to the parking lot with them all shouting back and forth at each other. I've never seen anything like this before or since, and it could've only happened at Hinkle.

Kenny Frease? No, I don't believe it. That is MB's great white hope. Dare I say, what you are describing could be described as "thuggery"... if only Kenny were of a different race.

Kenny Frease? No, I don't believe it. That is MB's great white hope. Dare I say, what you are describing could be described as "thuggery"... if only Kenny were of a different race.

At least Kenny learned his lesson. If you are going to fight, fight an inanimate object. You're less likely to get hit.

at this time it is highly doubtful the Big East will expand. The conference schools like being at 10 as it provides a true round robin conference schedule of 18 games. If there ever is an expansion I have to imagine SLU would be at the top of the list.

One big benefit Butler had is that it is not a Catholic school. There was no requiement when the conference was formed that all conference members had to be Catholic, it just kind of worked out that way. Inviting Butler was attractive in that it got rid of the "Catholic schools only" perception. The real battle was Creighton based on their geographic distance from the East Coast schools. However, A) they draw 17K or so a game and B) their President sits on Marquette's BOT gave them the boost they needed. SLU's negative: well, some mentioned him already.

Dayton is not an option to join, even if invited. It would be interesting to see who the 12th team would be if SLU got the 11th spot....or maybe they stay at 11 and play a 20 game conference schedule. That gets rid of one buy game against North Carolina A&T or someone like that.

For now SLU needs to make the best of A10 membership and keep building the all around athletic program. Significant progress has been made since the CUSA days and that's awesome to see. Chris May deserves a ton of credit for his leadership.

White pelican, there is the not inconsiderable issue of money. When you go to the A10 post conference games you accumulate money credits that will be paid over a certain number of years. Dayton and SLU have significant money to be paid to them by A10 due to their appearance in post conference games. If they quit A10, they forfeit this money plus may be charged an exit fee as well. This may amount to a very significant amount of revenue lost by the school. I am not sure of the details (how much over what time and or what exit fee) but it is a considerable amount, in the millions.

White pelican, there is the not inconsiderable issue of money. When you go to the A10 post conference games you accumulate money credits that will be paid over a certain number of years. Dayton and SLU have significant money to be paid to them by A10 due to their appearance in post conference games. If they quit A10, they forfeit this money plus may be charged an exit fee as well. This may amount to a very significant amount of revenue lost by the school. I am not sure of the details (how much over what time and or what exit fee) but it is a considerable amount, in the millions.

Ok, thanks Old guy. I forgot about those NCAA credits accumulated.

Ok, thanks Old guy. I forgot about those NCAA credits accumulated.

While old guy is right that there are NCAA credits to be aware of, he is dead wrong if he thinks those should be a determining factor in staying put in the a-10 vs the big east.

Every NCAA game an a-10 team plays in the NCAA tourney is worth about 1 million. The big east is rumored to pay each member about 3 million from its tv deal. The a-10 is rumored to pay around 750k. Let's round that to a 2 million difference. That means Dayton's great run last year in the NCAA tourney is worth the equivalent of 2 years in the big east.

Anybody with any long term thoughtfulness would choose a tv contract that guarantees an extra 2 million per year over a one time payment of 4 million. Same goes for SLU, which has about 4 million tied up in NCAA credits from the past 3 years.

Billiken Law, if I may ask, what does this statement mean?

Dayton is not an option to join, even if invited.

Unless I'm missing something obvious, why if invited would they not join?

What I have been hearing is that a Big East invite would require a significant increase in athletic funding across the board, something the university is not prepared to do. Plus, the conventional wisdom is that Dayton believes it can be more successful in the A-10 in the long term than in the Big East. If you remember their time in the GMC they were the dregs....and they remember that.

What I have been hearing is that a Big East invite would require a significant increase in athletic funding across the board, something the university is not prepared to do. Plus, the conventional wisdom is that Dayton believes it can be more successful in the A-10 in the long term than in the Big East. If you remember their time in the GMC they were the dregs....and they remember that.

Thanks for filling it in. That stuff wasn't apparent to me.

Dayton reportedly fully funds their secondary sports, and have had a lot of success, to the detriment of their Mens basketball team. This according to Dayton posters on other boards. I don't see why they would have a problem funding their AD. Their Olympic sports are probably funded at BE levels now.

I highly doubt any of this is true.

Dayton would love to be in te BE and would commit the necessary financial resources if asked. The question for them is whether the BE wants an overlapping market with cinci and whether Xavier will actively keep them out of the conference.

I highly doubt any of this is true.

Dayton would love to be in te BE and would commit the necessary financial resources if asked. The question for them is whether the BE wants an overlapping market with cinci and whether Xavier will actively keep them out of the conference.

I seriously doubt it too. Butler renovated Hinkle but that was in the works prior to their joining the Big East. They haven't significantly increased the profile or funding of their non-revenue sports at all.

Fox Sports seriously needs viewers. I would think Dayton would be a solid city to look at. The marketplace overlaps geographically but not realistically. Very few Cincy TV's tune in Dayton games, and likely the same in Dayton for Xavier games. Cincy is a multi-college team city, with supporters for Kentucky, Cincinnati, Xavier and Ohio State. So on a good day the Cincy market is fractured. Dayton would be OSU or the Flyers. I wouldn't be surprised if Dayton TV ratings were better than Xavier's. But yes, Xavier holds the trump card. It seems to me that they would welcome a rival to their party.

Media reports say that Fox is going to bid on the Big Ten package that currently is owned by ESPN when it is up for negotiation in two years. If Fox gets a piece of the Big Ten, guess which channel gets the Big East game when there is a conflict with a Big Ten game, Fox Sports, FS1 or FS2?

Yes, if Fox is not making their projected amount of revenue form Big East, it is not likely to renegotiate the TV contract with Big East at the same price level. If they have a better, higher revenue option, they are likely to reduce the standing of Big East and give the best coverage to the higher revenue option.