What do we want out of the 4 spot this season?

I would be happy if we good just have somebody that could get defensive rebounds consistantly, an occasional off. board, play solid D, hit Tommie and Dwayne on the outlet pass, and not be totally lost on the offensive end. What do you want or expect from the 4 spot this year?

I agree- we're not counting on offensive numbers from the 4 spot this year. We need a rebounder and someone who does the intangible kinds of things that would make a team tick. Someone who plays like Sloan or a taller Luke would be a help, and hopefully that's what our freshman are this year. Anything more would be gravy, and we'd be foolish to expect anything at all from JJ.

Let's not be mis-understood as saying we need another Ross Varner. However, you're right about his screen setting abilities. I'm just thinking that is a quality along with rebounding that I'd sure like to see in our four.

We're on the same page- there wasn't a whole lot else besides the screening ability that Ross offered, aside from being an oustanding practice player, a 4.0 student and a great guy. I would hope for much more in the way of production.

SLU has had a history of really good fours. To name a few like Frerichs, Baniak, or Tadyshak type or if you go back to my era Eugene

Moore- Carlos Skinner. I am a Brad backer but it remains to be seen if any of his players are tough enough to set screens or rebound as his

main focus; we have far too many players drifting to rhe perimeter and unwilling to penetrate. I hate to agree with Grawer who felt(in my

opinion) bigs were only useful to get the ball back to the guards; but every baseball team needs a catcher and every basketball team needs a four who can add to the mix or at a minimum rebound- we can't pull TL

to the board to rebound because no one else has a passion for the ball

I'd like a 4 that comprised all these attributes into one player

Bigg Butt of Donnie Dobbs

Deadeye of Ryan Leuchtefeld from Outside

AB's rebounding vigor

Jeff Harris' finishes inside

Big Rich Niemann's FT shooting ability

Ross Varner's Screen Setting

Big Mel's shotblocking skills

Jamal Johnson's thunderous dunks

& Tony Manuel's big glasses for good measure

I would like someone who the other team has to be aware of so that they can't gang up on IV. Granted once LM was inserted we got off the dreaded streak. However, he still didn't pull any bigs away from IV. Now if we had a guy who could get the rebound and finish they couldn't do that, or a big who could hit the 10-16 footer they couldn't either. The few times I've watched Shaw of SIU play, he's been that type. He can hit that 10 footer. They have to be aware of him.

.. I sure hope you are right about Danny and/or Luke. I am also hoping this is the "make year for Polk. One of those has to step up and add another option to the outside game or it will be a rough year for Lisch trying to escape the clutching and grabbing of his defenders no matter how tough the picks and screens are. I would hope that by mid-season .. by the end of the non-conference slate .... we are ready to gladly accept these three as they show progress because if they don't, they're all on their way to "JJ land."

I want someone who can screen and step out to hit the open shot as a bonus but mainly someone who is tough and can rebound. We need another down low force to prevent King Vouk from being triple teamed. If we get someone down there who the other team has to worry about, then I'm happy. Have other teams care about boxing out and keeping a hand on. If the 4 can grab some rebounds and draw defenders off Tommie, Kevin, and Ian, then the scoring will take care of itself.

We are very fortunate that we have options. That alone is much more than we have had for the past few years. Each will bring their own skills and abilities. We are just going to have to wait to see which one develops as the starter. I expect that there will be development and improvement from year to year. Just having the presence of a 6'8" forward, with back-ups, on the court will make IV better and also make our 3's better. As for the type of player they should be: I would like them to watch films of Steve Novak.

A Steve Novak? That wouldn't take any pressure off Vouk. He's soft as a PF and rebounder, but shoots well. I would hope that Dustin is that type of player (if not that level of talent), not our PF. You're right in that we are finally starting to have options there instead of just someone thrown in to fill a gap.

i would love any of our players to be the shooter that novak is, but he was a weak power forward besides that aspect most of his marquette career. he was pure gunner. i would rather our starting small forward be steve novak but our power forward be anthony bonner.

As long as I've been watching the Billikens ('98), the one thing the teams have always lacked is confidence. And that directly affects the scoring. Whether it's the coach or the players, remain to be seen, but our teams never seem to have that swagger. For instance, last year we couldn't hit the broad side of a barn for awhile...which i think is directly attributed to the players confidence. They were young, inexperienced, and I think coach got on them. Coach loosened up, we started hitting shots, then all of a sudden we are in contention for the A-10 championship. We have the best roster I've ever seen at SLU coming in. With that comes the confidence of players like Tommie, Kevin and Ian. That will be contagious and will, hopefully, allow the next scorer to emerge. The players have the tools, and I really don't think they are lazy. They just need to believe they can do it (and be put in a position to do it...which is coach's job).

77 ppg would put the billikens in the top 30 in the country in scoring in all of d-1 teams. and of those top 30 teams from last year only 13 were top 10 conference teams (Duke, Washington, uconn, tenn, memphis, north carolina, gonzaga, florida, george washington, maryland, florida state, colorado, and iowa state.)

ironically of the 13 teams above, the billikens went to the wire last year with all three that they played.

realistically, imo, if we average 67 a game that would be a massive improvement and likely very noticable compared to last year.

I want 51 from KL, TL, and IV also ... too bad we won't get it. I'll be very happy if we get in the low 40's from the 3 of them combined.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman and loyal subject of Billsboy and all ex D1 players and coaches everywhere. You da man Billsboy