Bob Ramsey speaks!

At the end of this afternoon's show, Bob Ramsey and Mike Claiborne discussed the flap about Ramsey's statements regarding SLU's upcoming conference-switch "decision." Ramsey said that he does NOT recall endorsing a conference for SLU to move to, and he would be happy to discuss the topic with callers, but he doesn't want to hear about any more third-hand stuff. (Claiborne, of course, indicated that he likes the MVC option, and he suggested that Ramsey prefers the A-10 option. Ramsey didn't dispute that, but he remained non-committal.) Also, Ramsey said that when he was on KMOX with Bernie Miklasz and Earl Austin Jr. last week, Earl was all for the A-10, Miklasz "was on the fence," and he didn't exactly finish stating where he stood, himself, at the time.

would that be a fair representation of where he stood? When this was blowing up on the board....people were stringing Bob and Cusamano up because they took my calls....I didn't hear the KMOX thing. I think when a caller gets on the air and raises an opinion and the host simply says..well..that's one way to look at it....or...'i can see both sides' I don't think that is endorsing an opinion. I've no problem with what Bob or Frank said on the shows I listened to.

I didn't hear what Bob said either on KMOX or KFNS, so I never got in an uproar about it. I don't recall saying anything about Ramsey. In fact, I feel my "report" of his comments and the end of today's Gameface was neutral. I just summarized what Ramsey and Claiborne discussed at that moment and didn't suggest one way or the other what he may have said on an earlier occasion.

Moreover, I suspect a caller may have broached the topic earlier in the show, but I wasn't listening to all of that. I just posted what I heard so that those fans who did complain about Ramsey's alleged statements could judge for themselves.

Personally, I think that as Ramsey is the "Voice of the Billikens," he should at all times be an ambassador for the program and should never voice an opinion about the program that is outside of the goals of the program (I'm not saying whether Bob has or has not done that; I'm just stating a principle). You would never hear Missouri's Mike Kelly even vaguely suggest that it would be in Missouri's interests to drop down a level in conference affiliation unless it was something the athletic department desired. What I'm saying is that Ramsey shouldn't even take the devil's advocate view if it's outside of SLU's intentions. I know he believes he can divorce himself from being the voice of the Billikens during his talk show, but he's mistaken; people take his word to be inside information, even if it really isn't.

On the other hand, I suspect that some listeners may have taken his stance out of context; it may be absolutely true that he made no endorsement of SLU to the Valley (or the A-10) but did gush about the MVC, which he also works for.

I'm not ready to call for Ramsey's head, but by the same token, I may not be easily convinced that he is a big Billikens fan at heart -- it could be just a job to him.

We do not hear anything said by anyone related to the university....why?? If SLU came out and said Yeah A!) all the way, then if things feel through and for whatever reason we needed to look at the MVC, then SLU would be at a disadvantage.

So The clamps are on at SLU this includes Brad, and other administration personnel as far as saying anything in public. However Bob Ramsey has a different situation being employed by both MVC and SLU. I just wish he would be up front in the first place. ie "I have an opinion, but due to circumstances regarding my employment, I cannot be candid, and therefore I will not comment."

Glad to hear Rammer explained where he stands today. I think that he has done a good job on Billiken basketball, but I don't know that he has any strong feelings towards the program. My feelings are as stated last week...SLU is a paycheck for him.

I listened to his afternoon show in my car the day the A-10 thing came out in the post. Ramsey did say the best thing for SLU would be to go to the A-10. He went on a 10 minute rant going over all of the "advantages" of the MVC, he may not have said "I think the MVC is a better option" but he did say "the MVC is the better option." Claiborne came to this conclusion as well. This was done before he took any calls, it was at the start of his show.

On the KMOX show Earl was the only one to come out and say the A-10 was better. "On the fence" Bernie and Ramsey hardly even mentioned the A-10 in their comments, they only went over the so called advantages of the MVC and said something to the effect that the MVC would be better. They refused to even analyze the A-10 at all, positives or negatives.

They might not have come out and completely endorsed the MVC but by only talking about the MVC and mentioning all the positives it brings, they made their feelings known to the audience.

Sorry

I don't think Ramsey said "I think the MVC is best for SLU." He did go over all the "positives" of the MVC and through his argument came to the conclusion it was better. He all but endorsed the move, Claiborne did finishing his thought.

theTorch said: "Ramsey did say the best thing for SLU would be to go to the A-10." Why was there so much misinformation about Ramsey's position. Just shows you can't believe everything you read. I feel we have the best broadcaster of all the area schools and he has been a good supporter of the Billikens. I really think he wants to appear as objective as possible on the call-in radio shows. When he is doing Billiken broadcasts, that is his time to root for the Bills. When he is doing call-in radio, he wants to project as objective, impartial, an image as possible. I would like a little more pro-Billiken flavor, but I'm satisfied with his stance.

>theTorch said: "Ramsey did say the best thing for SLU would

>be to go to the A-10." Why was there so much misinformation

>about Ramsey's position. Just shows you can't believe

>everything you read. I feel we have the best broadcaster of

>all the area schools and he has been a good supporter of the

>Billikens. I really think he wants to appear as objective

>as possible on the call-in radio shows. When he is doing

>Billiken broadcasts, that is his time to root for the Bills.

> When he is doing call-in radio, he wants to project as

>objective, impartial, an image as possible. I would like a

>little more pro-Billiken flavor, but I'm satisfied with his

>stance.

That was a typo I meant to say MVC.

Even given that, I think Ramsey is a very good supporter of the Bills. On his broadcasts he is enthusiastic and fun to listen to. If we want to recruit more fans, Ramsey helps with his game broadcasts. I stand by Ramsey and hope he continues to broadcast the bills for a long time. You can keep Mike Kelly, thank you very much.

In regard to his apparent support of the MVC, that may also be due to a lack of pertinent information. From the posts above, he seems to have changed his mind (see Thicks..."Ramsey prefers the A-10 option").

Bob Ramsey is a hired gun. I would think that this is a definite example of "conflict of interest" ... he cannot or should not offer an opinion on the subject topic (SLU's Conference Affiliation) because it will be interpreted as "inside information" or as an official position. Whoever said he should have declined to comment was probably right on. Maybe his reasons for favoring one over the other are as another described that as the voice of the Billikens he would have to "travel" to Rhode Island, Virginia, DC, Rochester and other places that involve somewhat more difficult travel than driving to Peoria, Des Moines or Evansville.

I would think that a national commentator's opinion would be more unbiased .... like Dickie V., Jay Bilas, like them or not, these guys would be commenting more from a national podium, separated from personal interests. Jon Miller, arguably one of the best baseball voices in America, got fired here in Baltimore because he candidly discussed the Orioles during his telecasts. Owner Peter Angelos didn't like it and Jon was gone ... replaced by "Oriole Way" shrills Jim Palmer and Michael Reghi. Who constantly say Larry Bigbie is the next big AmericanLeague star. Puh-lease!

Rammer's also in a position in the local market that makes his offering an opinion much more difficult for the reason noted above. I woudl suggest that in that case, he get a less representative person to argue the Billikens side ... maybe it Frank, maybe its Earl, who knows.

As far as the old Alma Mater is concerned, they are going to have to remain silent on all this for now. I think they've positioned themselves as much as they can hope to. I think they're in a reactive mode .... they've gone as proactive as they can and until those dominoes fall, they can't do any more. I favor the A-10 but see it as a stepping stone for now. Holidng out hope for the Midwest Papal Conference but realizing that MU and DePaul are cornerstones of that dream and if they stay with the Bigger East, the dream cannot materialize.

I think you have to be looking forward and ahead, and I do not believe the MVC offers that. I also don't believe that staying with the diluted CUSA is an option either. Neither is going it as an independent. That leaves, to me, the A-10 as the only real viable option ... for now. I agree with the torch's rant (excellent post by the way) on just saying no to the MVC.

C'mon Tommie!!!!!!

Only half ... that is good for a KFNS show ... most of them are 25% advertising ...along with 50% of the host gushing gaga over a product. I love it when they spend 30 minutes explaining why this mortgage lender is the best in the world ... after 20 minutes of patting themselves on the back for their great segway into the mortgage lender. 30 minutes later the whole thing over about a different mortgage lender.

About Bob Ramsey ... I like his game broadcasts ...but he cannot be the voice of the Billikens if he is at anytime going to say something counter to the company line. Period ... just a fact of life ... every job has things we don't like and this should be one of them for Bob. His only opinion must be the same as the Schools.

thicks said, "I'm not ready to call for Ramsey's head, but by the same token, I may not be easily convinced that he is a big Billikens fan at heart -- it could be just a job to him."

i am. after him saying last year that the billikens were the worst billiken team in 20 years and now even letting this mvc b.s. mushroom, imo he cannot be "the voice of the billikens". if it is just a job to him, then find someone who is passionate and bleeds billiken blue 24/7. the voice of the billikens has to believe brad soderberg and sing even louder "we can win championships."

One of the discouraging things I read in regard to future conference changes, was that the Big East was considering increasing the exit fees for schools wanting to leave the conference. Did anyone else hear or read this? If true, once Marquette and DePaul join, it may be harder for them to leave in a few years to join another conference. Then again, exit fees are only one part of the equation.

Here's a link to an article posted today.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/foot...es_on_bc_again/

I understand and that is your choice .... I do similar things with other people .... sometimes even this guy as well ....

But what's you take on my point ... that the Rammer is too connected to the program to be offering an "unbiased" opinion? Now, I don't know what he said (exactly) and it really doesn't matter that much in the grand scheme of things, because he has defenders and attackers of this statement all the same. Meaning ... to me... that he should have been savvy enough to stay out of it and decline offering an opinion. Just my take ..........

I was counting the "gushing over a product" as part of the advertising. Sometimes they play pre-made advertisements (commercials) and sometimes the hosts read/record/improvise advertisments. Unless something noteworthy is going on in the basketball world, it's very hard to listen to KFNS for long stretches.