Lindy`s

BLIKNS

Kind of wanted to wait to post this,seems with the arena photos and news about Liddell,but will now.Lindy`s seems to think that Husak will start at center.Wish we would hear soon if Ian V. will have to sit out any games.

I thought that it was already a done deal that we know that Ian will have to sit out the first 10 games. Am I just dreaming that up or wasn't their a ruling that already came out. Reggie B. will also miss the first 3 for the Villanova phone card fiasco.

I never understood these phone card scandals players have.

You can go to any gas station and get a $10 card and that gives you about 500-600 US long distance minutes. Unless your calling Mongolia or some other obscure place that might be expensive to call, how much time can you spend on the phone?

I don't think the penalty for Ian has been assessed yet by the NCAA, but in the rules they now want 10 games to be the max suspension. 10 games is probably what he will get.

From just the one pickup game I've seen with Bryce, he seems to already have a defensive presence. He deferred to others at the scoring end, but even Izik couldn't go right at him and score - Bryce would just swat it away...without fouling. I'm sure Frericks has the better all around game, and Zorba too, but Bryce might turn out to be the sleeper of this recruiting class. Time will tell.

What's wrong with dubbing a nickname on this site? As soon as you read "Zorba", you should know exactly who we're talking about - unless you've never heard of the movie "Zorba the Greek." I assume most on this board have. Likewise, to me, Ike is a natural moniker for Izik. Did they call H the H-bomb in Vegas? That probably originated here. In any event, no disrespect is intended with any nicknames I use with our program...

First of all, I'd never heard of "Zorba the Greek," so I had no frame of reference to know that you were nicknaming Ian Vouyoukas, "Zorba," because of that. When I first read that, I didn't know who the heck you were talking about and only figured out it was Voyoukas by process of elimination. Second, I think it's demeaning and racially stereotypical -- what can I do to dissuade you from branding him with that moniker? Why don't you just call him, "Ian"? Isn't that easier to type than "Zorba"?

Giving someone the nickname Zorba is not racist. I'm surprised that someone wouldn't know the reference. Its the most famous Greek reference in the world.

Wasn't Claggett the Venice Menace? What are we trying to say...that people from Venice, IL are menaces? Thats very insensitive. I have an aunt who lives in Venice and she is extremely law abiding.

I also think referring to "dropping an H bomb" is also extremely insensitive. Do you know how many people would be killed if he actually dropped an H bomb. How could we make light of such a thing. Did you think H wanted to kill people?

Thank god the sensitivity thought police control the country now.

I'm sure that I will get slammed now.....oh, well.

Are OK I suppose if they are watching for profane posts. Giving Ian the nickname of Zorba is hardly falling into what I would even fathom as questionable. However, then again for me, I believe that political correctness can and does go over the line in many times. In other words, I'd say lighten up a little and try enjoying life. The board is meant for fun...giving Bills players nicknames is supposed to be fun part of the board, and Zorba is not an over the top nickname at all!!!

It's been years since I've seen "Zorba the Greek" but I don't seen to recall him being an ax murderer. If Ian finds it offensive, that's one thing. If a few goofs on a message board find it offensive that's quite another. I don't recall who it was that said this is racist but who ever did say that I'd have to call a total goof. The last time I check their is no Greek race. If celebrating the ethnic heritage of a player is a problem then we are all in trouble. Did anyone object to celebrating AD's Albanian background last year? I seem to recall calling him the Albanian Agressor. Hey Thicks, Did you clear "Capitol D" with mister Clark?

Btw Zorba is alot easier to type than Hippocrates.

It has been posted that team members read this board. If so... maybe team members may check out how he feels about the nick name Zorba and if he likes it then the pep band can play the theme song at the games. It could be a lot of fun.

I'm not the kind of person who demeans with racial stereotypes. You have me confused with others. Secondly, if you haven't seen the movie, how can the nickname be demeaning for you? Thirdly, I didn't know that Greeks were a separate race, and to be identified as one would be demeaning. I believe we owe much of what is good about western civilization, and the ideas of our founding fathers to them. Lastly, what is wrong with nicknames? For example, clearly the concept of an H bomb, or any bomb, is disturbing to many. Yet H bomb was a term of endearment for H Waldman, and to drop bombs from 3 pt range is a kudo to a developed skill. Please take a deep breath and find another windmill other than me.

I have just completed a memo to my editors asking them to expunge the name "Joe Pollack" from the Post-Dispatch archives. How they could let such ethnic insensitivity go on for so long (especially given the newspaper's clear leftist leanings!), I'll never know.

i've decided to stay out of this discussion simply because i have already been branded as "a bitter man" by thicks, billiken rich and of course "the bradley center" courtside. i do not need to add racially insensitive to my profile as well.

;-)

Actually, I've told Darren to his face that my nickname for him is "Capital D." Additionally, I've told some of his teammates, as well, and explained my reasoning.

My thought is that if those who want to call Ian "Zorba" are willing to say it to his face and explain to him the significance of it, then I have no more qualms about it. I don't have any plans, beyond the misgivings I've already expressed, of limiting the behavior, unless the young man, himself, tells me he objects to it. I won't use the nickname, but you guys can knock yourselves out with it, unless I get other word from the "powers that be." I won't use it myself, though, because I don't care for it.

To me, "The Venice Menace" to describe Erwin Claggett when he did something to hurt the opposition wasn't demeaning or stereotypical, nor does it suggest that all residents of Venice, Ill., are menaces (note the "the"). The term H-bomb wasn't a nickname for H Waldman; rather it described the effect of Waldman's hitting a three-pointer. "Zorba the Greek" feels different to me. But that's the last I plan on saying about it.

Have a nice day.