A little birdie told me

that Brad has had over a hundred applications or contacts come across his desk since Coach Beane resigned.

UB didn't see this coming. Must have had a good offer to leave for private business.

We are feeling good about LS and AK, but you never know.

Don't be surprised if Chris Sloan is the next assistant, and Drejaj the DBO.

mhg

No offense to Chris but, in his time as basket ball operations dude, has he developed the contacts, eye for talent, and ability to seal the deal that we need in an assistant coach? Beane came in with a bit of recruiting pedegree. Is Chris an upgrade?

Again no offense and no knowledge of the answers to the questions I've posed........

I would be very disappointed if Chris were selected as an assistant, let alone the lead assistant. Thorpe and Beane are both very solid assistants who know how to recruit, and they have the accomplishments and street cred. Chris is two/three years from being the third assistant, in my book.

Bonner, Claggett, Irvin, Dillard, Tate, McCauley, and Randall all have superior credentials and coaching experience to boot, to name a few off the top of my head. If you are bumping from within and are only hiring a third coach, possibly, but we need either a lead or second assistant at this point.

I would interpret a Chris hire as an administrative step to save costs, not the direction the basketball program should be taking at this juncture.

>Don't be surprised if Chris Sloan is the next assistant, and

>Drejaj the DBO.

>

How about someone with NBA contacts/experience? A former NBA player? A former NBA assistant? That'd go a long way with recruits. The NBA is a goal of quite a few recruits, and having someone on the staff with those connections would go a long way in helping them.

I don't claim to know whether Sloan is a good coach or not, but I thought he was from St. Charles County (please correct me if I'm wrong). This is a growing area and I believe the talent on those teams will continue to improve over the next few years. If Sloan has some connections with coaches out there it could be a plus for him.

That said, Brad needs to hire the best applicant...or at least a coach who's the legal guardian of some 6'8", 240 lb. monster.

It comes down to who UB is comfortable with. Knowing Brad as I do (and I don't) I don't think he would bring in an assistant for connections with any one recruit or even a supposed pipeline to JUCOs or AAU kids. Just not his style.

I believe will pick someone he knows and trusts. The way he is so tight lipped about recruiting with us and the media, I believe it is more important to him to have someone who has his back, and can work with more than anything else.

UB knows CS well. It is a natural for him to pick him over someone he doesn't know well, but can supposedly bring in a 'playah'. UB trusts his system, knows how he is going to go about his business and that is how it will be.

Do we like it....no. It's no fun to talk about, having to snoop here and there for information, not really knowing what is up.

I personally am dying til we get this recruiting class done. It is so pivotal to our progress. Absolutely HAVE to follow this freshman class with two more definite, can't miss players. Seems like LS is one. Will Knollmeyer be the other? Who will be the third? Will coach stop there?

This is fun.

mhg

The St. Louis area has a couple young former Billikens as high school coaches, like McCluer's Erwin Claggett and Maplewood's Corey Frazier.

Both have strong ties to the St. Louis Eagles program. If a school were to grab all or most of the D-1 talent in the Eagles program — including but not limited to Scott Suggs, John Brandenburg, Jesse Perry, Kramer Soderberg, Ron Waller, Sean Rakers, Brett Thompson, Jared Swopshire and Courtney Belger — that school could win a lot of games.

The Billikens probably also have to consider Anthony Bonner, who has been rumored to be wanting to coach at SLU. Having one of the most successful players in school history around as a coach couldn't hurt, especially if he can help develop post players.

- Nate

AB wants to coach? I recall someone on the board telling them he did, but the money wasn't right, ie he could make more in Europe. Now, having no idea what UB is looking for in his AC, AB would seem to be solid choice on a lot of fronts. One of the few St.Louis area natives to make the NBA, the only Vashon grad to make the NBA, etc. But who knows what UB is looking for, or if he and AB even get along. I just hope he considers him, as on the surface it looks like AB could pay huge dividends in terms of recruiting and player development.

3star,

I agree. I like Chris Sloan, but SLU needs some recruiting experience and Chris doesn't have it.

I'd "check into" Mike Garland, who was not renewed at Cleveland State

after three years. Prior to that, Garland was a seven-year assistant at Michigan State under Tom Izzo. I'm assuming Coach Soderberg would know Garland from his days at Wisconsin.

imo, this is a critical hire for Coach Soderberg.

I agree this is a big hire. UB needs to land a guy that can help take us to the next level. Whether it is AB or someone else. I will be disapointed if we just make the easy moves up.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

If we were going to move Thorpe and Grunk up, Quitman would be interesting to fill in the bottom spot. He should have some good ties to the Chicago area.

There are so many guys that are possiblities.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I completely agree that this coaching slot is key for Brad's program. My fear is that rather than bring in a seasoned candidate with established recruiting connections, Brad promotes his existing coaches and hires Drejaj to fill Sloan's spot. It would be consistent with Brad's m.o.

great connections to the area? Corey Tate at Mineral Area College has a good resume with stints as a grad asst. at Missouri, assistant coach at MAC and head coach last year. He is well thought of locally by most high school coaches and players and I would think knows the juco game. Just a thought.

but I don't think the profile of our next assistant should be focused on JUCOs. We've been down this road before. SLU will NEVER be a major factor with JUCO players until they add a P.E. major.