A little birdie told me

the only way i want a juco coach coming in here to fill our open coaching spot is if he is bringing the next coming of bill russell with him.

glad to hear that you are keeping your emotions in check. I feel the same frustration with UB right now that you do, or at least sense you do. My concern is he is just so rigid in his beliefs/system he may lack the flexibility to win at this level. Nothing wrong with doing things your way when you're a HC, see J. Wooden, coach K, Bobby Knight, etc. but you better show some results before you can expect everyone to buy into it without any questions. If you insist your way is the best but do not produce the desired results, you either need to change or you need to go. It'll be interesting to see how this spring recruiting plays out.

We need a guy with a track record of recruiting academically qualified players out of high school because that's the type of kid we're able to sign, by and large. If he has some experience at the juco level, that's fine too because we occasionally we draw from those ranks. So we need somebody like Coach Beane basically. Beane had two years as an assistant at Illinois State and three years as an assistant at SEMO in addition to his juco coaching stint.

I hope we're broadening our focus beyond Illinois State and SEMO though. There's a lot of talent in Indiana and Michigan that we could be tapping into. Instead those players go to places like Butler and Western Michigan and make the all-conference teams.

Exactly. We need a coach that will be comfortable with what SLU and UB are about. No way we want an NBA pipeline or JUCO hotshot. We need Coach Beane+, good in practice, works hard at recruiting, won't pull any Quinn Snyder stuff and smart.

Could this be Anthony Bonner? Sure, or any of the other mentioned above perhaps. But the qualities I cherish more than the obvious 'connections' we know of are the abilities to challenge the players in practice, encouraging them to be better than before. The things we as fans don't see.

mhg

no dewey, i think you missed my point. i dont want a previously successful juco coach that might find future talent. i have no use for juco coaches in general mainly because slu will never be successful chasing juco players because of the inequities the ncaa rulebook for juco transfers.

i said i would take the juco coach that brings with him the next bill russell (that qualifies). i.e. bring us a bigtime differencemaker or else apply elsewhere.

as many have stated, if this next assistant coach cant successfully find the high school players that take us to next level, then we are taking a step backwards or at best treading water.

that said, it would not surprise me a bit that the next asst coach is chris sloan. now before we get all excited, that isnt necessarily a bad thing. first off he knows the system already. second, one would think he also has picked up a lot over the last two seasons just being a part of coaching meetings and discussions. third, he is connected locally and knows the local scene. fourth, everyone starts somewhere.

now is chris my top choice? without knowing the other candidates, how can anyone really comment. sure it would be great to reel in a big fish recruiter. but i dont think we should discount what is already here either.

second, someone mentioned drejaj moving in in some capacity. i think that has a lot of merit. if drejaj attacks that job like he attacked his playing days, we know he would be a hard worker.

it will be interesting to watch play out. while it is always hard being a billiken fan, it is also always a roller coaster ride as well.

a successful coach is a successful coach.....no matter where they are coaching

the primary responsibilities of assistant coaches in my opinion are:

1. RECRUIT - just because they are recruiting to a certain institution does not mean they cannot recruit if given slightly different parameters -- JUCO coaches recruit high schools, those connections with high school and club coaches are useful regardless if they may be recruiting a different type of kid at the JUCO as compared to SLU

2. COACH - they must be able to understand the Head Coach's system and be able to help the Head Coach implement and teach the system. A good relationship with the Head Coach is important.

3. PREPARATION - the assistant coaches do much of the primary game prep for who we play. I think the more experience here the better! The ability to study tape and effectively game plan is essential.

After 2 years, a coach's relationships with existing recruits will be done. Relationships with coaches and the ability to coach within our system is much more important. An experienced coach will also give us another basketball "mind" on the staff when it comes to game planning etc.

Wasn't Beane a juco coach at one time? Just because they've coached at the juco level doesn't mean they can only recruit juco players. For instance this guy has 2 players on his roster out of Chicago Westinghouse ... Every school that has kids that don't qualify ... has kids that do also. If the juco coach already has a relationship with the HS coach ... he can get any level of player

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I have talked to people down at Moberly CC and they said Bernsen will not be coming back to them next year as they just found out last week. They would tell me but said he was interviewing for a job in St. Louis. This is the only college job in St. Louis unless he interviewing for the MICDS job but I don;t htink he has any ambitions in going back to high school to coach. I think he would be a great higher, he has been around and Brad needs somebody with experience, not somebody like SLOAN who has none and Randall who really doesn't have much compared to Bernsen.

for those of you not wanting to look it up,

jans graduated from loras college about 15 years ago when brad was head coach there. he was the captain of the team and the leading three point shooter.

until he recently took the illinois state assistant job, jans was the head coach at chippola juco. the same chippola where frericks and newborne came. he also tried to send the billikens the very good ohio state wing guard, jek'ell foster as it came down to slu and ohio state if my memory serves me correctly.

interesting name.

and not crazy about him. The profile that I'm looking for is one who has experience recruiting for 4-year institutions and in the Midwest. I think the hire should come from either the MVC, MAC or CUSA.

By the way, thanks so much for "explaining" your "classical rhetorical trap". I think most 10-year olds can digest tired, silly questions like that. You really need to come up with material that people haven't heard a million times.

The answer to you old parrotted line is that the cad is the person asking the question.

How about the offer? Why don't you just ignore my posts, and I'll do the same? Otherwise, poor Steve will have to keep locking up threads because of you.

And maybe you could leave people's families out of this. All that requires is a little class and polish. Do you have any? Let's show the board what you've got!

You just can't help but highjack another thread on the board for your own Quixotic war against me. You are suffering from a pathetic need to get the last word in. I'll leave you be, poor sick Footes. Don't answer this post and it'll end here. I don't think you can help yourself though. Good luck.