Asst Anthony Beane resigns

TheBand

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

to change an asst coach the day before the spring signing period. There has to be another shoe to drop on this one. Just too coincidental. I could understand it if he were going to another program, so that he could let a potential recruit know that he was going to there.

As much as I would love to have AB on the staff, I bet there is another coach coming who knows how to coach a certain someone who is at this time unkown to most of us.

Stay tuned.

I have no inside info on this. Just pure conjecture.

mhg

Just to throw out a couple of possible replacements for Coach Beane. More than anything else the new guy has to be a RECRUITER .... we need players. Brad has been around enough to handle the St. Louis area.

1) Lance Randall(sp?) former Billiken Director of BBall Operations who left suddenly about two years ago to replace his father at a Wisconsin high school (Oshkosh-West).

2) Tim Buckley, most recently the HC at Ball State who was replaced this month by Ronny Thompson. Buckley is a friend of Brad's and has been an assistant at both Wisconsin and for Tom Crean at Marquette. Buckley was 143-139 in six year at Ball State.

3) Jay Spoonhour, even though I think he has a real good shot at the SEMO job.

Why wouldn't Bonner be a great hire?

He brings instant name recognition to the program. As a black male who came out of inner city St. Louis he provides a role model for area recruits that they can easily relate to and emulate. He has no coaching experience but he has played pro ball for 15 years. That is more than enough basketball knowledge. AB was always a disciplined and tireless worker on the court throughout his college and pro career, he would bring that attitude to the kids here.

Anthony graduated in 4 years - as an accounting major! No shortcuts there. What a great example for any inner city kid. He made the NBA, and still got a tough degree in 4...ready for life if he couldn't play hoops for a living. He would be my first pick. I had to edit this - graduating in 4 is way above average, even for the suburban kid with every advantage. Anthony hit the books and worked on his game endlessly.

He was Tim Buckley's assistant at Ball State and I'm not sure if Jamal has been hired anywhere yet. I think Soderberg should hire someone who's African-American to replace Beane.

By the way, Buckley was hired today to be an assistant for Steve Alford in Iowa City.

What about Lance Randall, who previously coached for the Billikens. I believe he is looking for work. I think he accomplished all he wanted with the high school team his dad used to coach. He has a lot of experience and many connections. I think he would be a logical fit.

I have gotten the opposite impression from him. He has been offered coaching jobs, albeit at lower levels than SLU, even a JC HC job and declined them. He has young kids and doesn't want the schedule that a college coach would have to keep at least not now. Who knows though.

i dont even think a college degree is required let alone a masters degree. i know keith legree was already an assistant coach at cincy while he finished up his b.s. at cincy.

i believe the job will go to either lance randall or chris sloan.

however, that said, it wouldnt surprise me to see some sort of recruiting tie in coach. it is the way the system works whether we like it or not.

right now we'd take Satan if he had a 6'9" qualifier who could pull down 8-10 rpg, score 8-10 ppg, and defend in his pocket. That said, why not AB? One would think any bigs out there would love to learn the game from a veteran of the NBA wars. I just wonder if this isn't recruiting related somehow, ie we're not signing anyone we really wanted/needed this spring. So UB and Beane came to an agreement to part amicably. It's generally an Asst Coach's job to do the heavy recruiting and if he's not producing, well....hasta la vista baby. But that's all speculation and we'll probably never know for sure. Does anyone know of any of our current players who were really brought in by Beane?

Thinking similar thoughts Booster, but on a different tack. We're not signing anyone we really wanted, and it was Beane's job to land them. Beane's departure just further reinforces my fear that for next year our team is pretty much in place right now,ie our roster will not be improved by addition of a decent #4 and/or perimiter sharp shooter. We better hope for a ton of player development over the summer.

It is counter productive to speculate because no one on here really knows the reason the coach is leaving. I would just hope that we bring in someone with lots of energy who can sell kids on playing for the Billikens. I don't know that either AB or Claggs would be interested, but if they are then either one would be welcome additions. Frankly, I am willing to wait and see what the spring recruiting season brings in the way of help for our team. It's far too early to think about jumping off the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.

I clarified by saying it was speculation. Who knows maybe his dad or father in law owns a car dealership and he's taking it over. The timing is odd, though, wouldn't you agree? The day before spring signings begins? Guess this is the point: If Beane's been a recruit's primary link to SLU and has established a relationship w/him, which you have to agree is SOP, and then the AC quits before he's signed, would the recruit say "hey, all bets are off." Skip, you're in the car business right? Well, I buy my cars from one guy and one guy only. If he were to leave, I'd most likely leave with him. It's called loyalty, which I'm sure both AC and the recruit would try and establish. And what else is this board for if not for speculation?

I have no way of knowing if this is even possible, but didn't Brad play at Stevens Point in the back court with Terry Porter, long time NBA player. I don't believe he is playing anymore (I don't follow the NBA very closely).

This is just a wild a$$ thought, with no foundation.

Once again, we get all the doomsday and "the sky is falling" nonsense. Beane left to pursue other interests - he said he can not release what he is doing because the people involved with him asked him to keep it quiet. This is not uncommon for asst. coaches to do this kind of a thing. He probably is tired of being an asst and wanted his own head coaching job. If he could not get a hc then he simply wants to do something else. Since the question of who he was recruiting has been asked, and no one has provided answer, it would make sense that since he was a guard that he was involved with those players not PFs. Making Sloan the replacement coach does not help the program at this point. He has no real coaching experience and I am not sure how well known he is out of the area. He is making good money according to someone as DOB for being 2 years out of school so he should be fine for what he is doing. This Lance Randle - I don't remember him - but what does he bring other than familarity - he is out town and left us once before so what do we gain from him? Skip is right - this development is no big deal in all probability so lets wait and see what happens. I still think a big local name former player would be a good choice unless Brad can land someone with experience and contacts outside the area who has a track record of recruiting well.

I can't believe that it would go to Chris Sloan. He has not yet done his time. I guess it is possible that Jason G. could be promoted to this spot and Sloan could take Jason G.'s position.

I recall that Brad said he had something like a 100 qualified applications when he initially filled his staff four years ago. I expect that it will be filled with some with a rather lengthy college basketball resume.