Where's Jalansdad?

ACE

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any word on Tommie?

Tommie is back in town and has been scrimmaging with the team. According to his pops, Tommie has more than met the required score

on his SAT's. He is awaiting final approval from the NCAA clearing house. This is probably due to Tommie scoring much better as a prep school student compared to his time at East St Louis Sr. He is a legit 6'6 and has put on some much needed muscle. From what I hear and I hope it is true, the coaching staff has decided to turn Tommie loose with the ball.

I had no idea that TL was such a dunking machine. That's great excitement for us ticket holders, but can he shoot the 3? Mid-range jumper? I know we've beat this to death, but I've never seen him play.

I'm all about Brad's hard nose defensive style, however, its nice to see a little showtime come onto the scenerio. Good stuff.

Around the time Tommie Liddell committed to St. Louis U. I asked a person close to the program about what he thought about Tommie's potential.

The source said Tommie had more potential than Dwyane Wade had at the same stage.

Now, you have to remember that Wade wasn't a highly touted recruit coming out of high school and that it took him a year or two at Marquette to blossom, but Liddell has been compared a lot to Wade in the last few years.

Since then Wade has blown up in the NBA. But Tommie has a lot of the same skills that Wade showed when he was early in his career at Marquette. What Tommie does with his career is up to him, but it looks like he's doing what it takes to get better.

- Nate

i never saw wade have the level of unselfishness that liddell has. not that wade was selfish, but i always saw wade as a scorer first. liddell has more of a playmaker mentality with the ability to score. as i have said many times, this is the best raw talent we have had since hughes. now for coach soderberg to round off the rough edges and get him to play harder than hard. imo, liddell is at the right place to achieve his potential.

I could not agree more. I see this as a potentially great team in two years once our freshmen get a year and a half under their belt. If Tommie is as good as we think, and I suspect he is every bit that good, he could lead us to the promised land, maybe even a berth in the sweet 16--a game better than Larry could accomplish. At that point there may be some thoughts about Tommie coming out early but I can live with that risk because that will mean that he has played great and the team has won a lot of games!

>I had no idea that TL was such a dunking machine. That's

>great excitement for us ticket holders, but can he shoot the

>3? Mid-range jumper? I know we've beat this to death, but

>I've never seen him play.

Tommie's mid-range game is probably his greatest asset. As far as his 3point shooting is concern at this point it's hard to say, he really didn't look for his offense at the prep school. From what I have seen over the years is that when Tommie elevates and shoots the three and takes the 3point shot within the offense his 3point shooting percentage is usually good. When he doesn't elevate or when he settles for the 3, his percentage usually drops. He has been paired with a very good coach in Soderberg. All of his flaws can be righted with this staff. I can't see this staff under-utilizing his talents as his high school coach. This comparison with Wade is kind of a stretch. Their similarities begins and ends with both being from Illinois and not being eligible as freshmen. Wade has always been a dominant scorer, whereas Tommie would much rather score around 17-19ppg with 8 rpg and about 5 apg.

I think that you will find, seniors or not, Brad will put the best team on the floor, in order to give him a chance to win. Just rest in the fact that we are going to have quite the stellar guard rotation next year. DP/LM/AD/TL/KL even PJ. Should be a good year for the backcourt.

That doesn't answer the question. Drejaj the senior may be better than Drejaj the freshmen, but when Drejaj the senior isn't better than Lisch and Liddell the freshmen or Brown and Polk the sophomores, who plays? If the answer is Drejaj the senior, then there are going to be a lot of justifiably upset Billiken fans.

I don't care how hard he worked, Ross Varner should never had played more minutes than Izik in a game unless Izik was injured or in foul trouble. Based on actual ability, Drejaj should never play more minutes than the guards we have. Since all the guards we have on the roster work hard on their games, Brad can't use "effort in practice" as an excuse anymore to play less talented seniors. Well he can use it, but I won't believe it.

I think I said one time on this board a few years ago that Brad S. would rather play a paroled felon than a freshman. Thus, I was pleasantly surprised that last year BS not only started Dwayne Polk but stayed with him despite a rough start. Minutes for Drejaj will be an issue. Given the talent we now have at guard, I would prefer to see Drejaj inserted into games for limited bursts of minutes as a defensive energy guy ala John Redden. He would be very effective in that role.

On another front, SLU just broke ground on the medical research facility. Fundraising for that project has always taken precedence over the on-campus arena. Maybe the administration will now raise it's emphasis on the arena? Hope so.

From Cheryl's May message:

"While there has not been much media attention to the arena project over the past few months, you will begin to see and hear more information about the project in the near future. We are making progress, and the day that a shovel goes into the ground is drawing closer."

Maybe you missed Dwyane getting a triple-doube in the Elite Eight game against Kentucky (29, 11, 11) or averaging 4 assists per game as a collegiate player despite having 2 top-flight PG's on the roster? Not to mention his averaging 6.5 rebounds per game during his career. Now as a pro he's averaged nearly 6 assists per game. To call Dwyane selfish and only interested in scoring is a joke.

Once again, if AD is playing big minutes we are in trouble. Brad had to play DP because he did not have any other choices plus he promised the kid that he would be his pg. That being said, DP was going to play unless he really smelled the arena up - he did fine for a freshman and thus Brad let him play. The other freshmen, LM and DB were interesting situations - eventually, Brad had to let them play because we were failing and he had no other choice. They rewarded him with their play - and improved team performance as a result. Brad said he learned much last year about mistakes he made and he plans to prosper from his learning experience - I hope he means that and does not slip back into his old ways. The news is there is only AD and VN as seniors - am I correct? - so he does not have much to tempt him. I suspect if he plays VN and AD and the team struggles, he will learn real quick that the fans will be eating him alive. He got a pass last year for a number of reasons but not this year.

The question is not that the day is drawing closer but just how far that day is off? Does anybody have any scoop regarding the progress of the total funds raised? I thought I read somewhere that all we had to raise was half of the 35 million to break ground.

Cheese, if you are suggesting (and maybe your not) that Soderberg promised DP that he would be the starting point guard from day one....I don't buy it. The plan was for the veteran (juco)Brandon Morris to be the starting point guard last year year and Polk getting growing minutes behind Morris. Morris and Alexander never made it to SLU and the rest is history....to Polk's advantage.