My, aren’t we feisty!

Billiken Law

Damn, some people take things on the internet WAY too seriously and need to chill out! Have a Miller Lite! The preview which apparently has everyone up in arms is something I’ve done for three years now. It’s a homage to the writing style of Bill Sullivan (ESPN.com Page 2) and my favorite comedians, Dennis Miller and John Stewart. That entire thing is for comedic value aimed at a particular audience: Marquette fans. If you’d cared to read all of it you’d notice I even made fun of myself in it!

So because I have a strong loyalty to my undergraduate alma mater I am “disloyal†to my current school and should transfer. Whatever. SignGuy rips his school’s hoops team and displays no loyalty whatsoever to his school so maybe he should transfer. In fact, isn’t he disloyal for thumbing his nose at SLU whereas I made the choice to come here, pay my tuition, cheer for the Billikens in person and represent this Saint Louis University? I grew up a MSU fan and remain a strong one, but if MU or SLU ever play MSU in any sport I’ll be wearing the colors of my alma maters. Alma mater over all.

Besides, its people here who have a major Marquette complex and who have fabricated stories ever since MU’s Final Four run regarding ref conspiracies, the supposed Papal Conference, the Southern Miss game, MU academics (the non-existent PE program Crean “demandedâ€), MU “abandoning and screwing over†a fellow Jesuit school, personal shots at MU players, particularly Travis Diener, the supposedly “rivalry†some here have claimed exists, etc and all I have done is try to set the record straight and defend my alma mater. Until then nobody seemed to care that I was an MU grad, it was possible in all of your minds for one to coexist as a MU and SLU fan if you attended both schools as I have – then we supposedly became “arrogant†with our success. Maybe some did, but maybe some people here became insanely jealous too?? Most MU fans seem to have no problem with me defending SLU and certain posters from this board, which I’ve done for over two years. Well, except for SEMO Rich and GW SignGuy, there is no defense there. :)

It’s funny, the group of guys I hang out with when I go to Milwaukee and go to the conference tourney with every year give me crap because when MU and SLU play I wear a SLU t-shirt or cap along with my MU sweatshirt, and when we’re all at the conference tourney I would wear SLU gear and cheer for SLU during SLU’s games. If they were like the people responding in this thread then according to them I am not a “true†Marquette fan because of my allegiance to the Billikens and my choice to attend SLU. Fortunately they are not like that.

How do I feel about SLU? I’ll tell you. I am very proud that soon I will be an alumnus of this great institution. I have my issues with Father Biondi, his money management, all of these useless statutes on campus, his tuition increases, his seemingly anti-student policies and his negative attitude towards us at the law school but really, that is the only negative I can say about SLU. I do not regret the choice to come here, my wife and I love living in this city and hope to remain after graduation, and would encourage family and friends to attend here as well. My little nephew already has a SLU shirt (in fact, he kind of looks like the Billiken!). We even lobbied my brother-in-law hard to come here for undergrad, over Marquette in fact (he ended up out-East, unfortunately). We have an amazing campus, great people who work here, excellent academics and a great alumni network. In terms of athletics I’m proud to know that the student-athletes, coaches and staff representing the university do things the right way. We’ll never have a Baylor, Colorado, St. Bonaventure or Ohio State situation here. We have people who work hard with what they have and do their best (and are constantly attacked by the so-called loyalists on this board). Our student-athletes represent the school with class and their performance in the classroom, winning every CUSA academic ward, is a testament to the type of kids and people we have in athletics.

Yes, I’ve been critical of some things in SLU athletics. I don’t think the arena is necessary considering the cost (practice facility needed more, IMO, and besides why can’t we fill Savvis with 17000 again like we did when Hughes was here??) and I think the MVC was a better option than the A-10+4 for many reasons (mainly that we could have owned it), but guess what, this is America, people can have different opinions and not be branded for doing so. At the same time I’m critical of MU (nickname change, nickname obsessed folks, Crean’s transfer numbers, some of his recruiting and in-game coaching decisions) and will share that opinion, so does that make me disloyal to MU? In fact, last year at the conference tourney some people came up to friends of ours and asked if we were really Marquette fans based on the criticisms of MU we were throwing out the entire week. Maybe some of the people around us should have told us to never talk to them again and demanded we no longer cheer for MU!

As for SLU, I believe the athletics program is headed in the right direction. The coaches in every sport work their tails off to be successful the right way and deserve success. In fact, I am still bummed the women’s soccer team got hosed the way they did. Freakin Harvard! The men’s hoops team will experience some growing pains early this season but will be in the post-season and have a great foundation to build upon heading into the A10+4. Yes, in my preview I did say that Travis Diener would get the best of Dwayne Polk this year – Diener will be an All-American, like it or not, and DP is a freshman. That doesn’t mean I don’t think Polk will end up being an excellent player (I’ve met him and he’s just as good a person as he is a player). The guys on the team are, like the other athletes, all good, hardworking kids we should be proud to have represent SLU. I know I am and will cheer them on this season as I have the last three since I made the decision to attend SLU.

Whether you all consider me a “true fan†or not, I really don’t care. I know that regardless of the hard-line opinions of a few I’ll still support the Billiken men and women in all sports. I hope that in the coming years SLU will be a power in the A-10+4 and MU will be a power in the Big East (though that will be tough considering the depth of the league) and both are regular participants in the Big Dance. That would be a win/win for me. And whether or not you consider me a real fan, well, that won’t matter because I am in my own way, dividing my loyalties between the schools that have played such an important role in my life, Marquette and SLU. Yes, people who attend and graduate from more than one school can do that! In fact, just as I have done the past 2 years when SLU is at home the same time MU plays, I’ll put on my royal blue, go to the Savvis Center and let my buddies call or text message me with MU scores while I cheer on the Bills.

As for where I’ve been the past few days since my buddies called me on Friday to congratulate me on riling everyone here up, A) I don’t have net access at home, B) I’m a student, I actually have a lot of work to do as the semester comes to a close. You might also have noticed some contributions on the MU board defending SLU and the VI games. Oh yeah, MU is 5-0. not 4-0. That is all.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, thanks for that rant.

I think the reason people are pissed is because you went to the Marquette board and started a thread that basically said look at these silly SLU fans and their ridiculous comments. That was uncalled for by a board member who claims to be a fan. If you disagree with our comments, then let us know...and you usually do...but you shouldn't go to other forums insulting us. Yes, it's a free county and by all means, you have the right to do so...but what you did was two faced.

Blaw i agree with you abut the arena and everything. Why not just fill the savvis up. I heard the basketball offices are not even going to be int he new arena at all1 is that true?

I think the sports are going i the right direction, slu is a good school but biondi is committed to excellance in academics, not committed to excellence in sports. First and for most look at womens basketball. Pizzotti's record over the last 10 yrs, stinks, why keep her when she keeps losing. thats my only complaint. have a committment to excellence in all things, not just academics. have a committment of excellence in academics and sports any thoughts

marquette law said, "Most MU fans seem to have no problem with me defending SLU"

i read the marquette board fairly frequently, i must have missed that "defense".

marquette law said, "I think the MVC was a better option than the A-10+4 for many reasons (mainly that we could have owned it)"

i believe we will own the a-10. but for conversation sakes, do you think that the warriors will "own" the big east? if not, then why go? why is this different than the billikens heading to the a-10 which will probably become at worst the 7th ranked conference next year with the slu and charlotte addition?

marquette law said, "Oh yeah, MU is 5-0. not 4-0. That is all."

had to get that little superior dig in at the end didnt you? the warrior fandom is fast becoming my second least favorite. congrats on your leading the way in my conversion.

First off, we drink Bud Light in St. Louis, none of that Miller ######.

Second, you question my college choice and loyalty? Screw you. Let's see...Who has better Poli Sci and History departments. GW or SLU? I am going to go with GW on that one, SLU's Poli Sci department has like 3 professors from what I have heard. GW is in the heart of DC and has huge quality Poli Sci and International Affairs programs. That doesn't mean SLU isn't strong in other areas, but I am not going to make my college decision based off a Basketball team! Are you nuts? What do you think I am, retarded?

I enjoy the Billikens. I defend the Billikens. I am loyal to the Billikens. And I have been a Billiken fan since before you even attended Marquette. So don't give me this disloyalty ######.

My signature has who am I going to root for, GW or SLU. Right now, pretty much everyone from either school knows it's going to be SLU. I go the GW games, and I am a pessimist like no tomorrow. But I still support the team. I stand the whole damn game, cheer my lungs out, and pull for the team. And what I say on this board is no different than I say in my dorm room. I hate the way GW plays. It is run and gun & sloppy. I don't think our inside game is very strong. But who cares, I still support the team. On this board I have said that I am less optimistic about this years team than others. I don't cater my opinion to my audience like a certain someone. If I think something, I say it or don't say it at all. I don't run off to another board, and say something just to please the crowd.

I knew when I posted the link the MU Board, this would all probably come up. You have been a fine poster on Billikens.com, and I enjoy (most of the time) reading your posts and debates. But I thought it was necessary to point out what you were doing on another board relating to this one. If you are going to say something, say it or don't say it at all. Don't run off in a corner and say it to get some giggles.

Steve

My main beef with your claim that you are a Billikens fan is your claim, "...I think the MVC was a better option than the A-10+4 for many reasons (mainly that we could have owned it),..."

I've never understood why it's okay for Marquette to dream big and join the Big East (while located smack-dab in the Midwest) while it would have been better for SLU to drop down to the Missouri Valley. If the MVC is a better option for SLU than the A-10, then the Horizon is a better option for Marquette than the Big East.

Well put Steve.

After I graduate from SLU in the Spring of 2006 I'll hopefully go onto law school somehwere. There's a chance that I might not go to SLU for that. I can guarantee that SLU will not be surpassed by wherever I might choose to go, but I also hope that I don't act like a pompous, condescending jerk like Billiken Law. I have actually requested and read some literature from Marquette's law school and was intrigued by what I read, but if I would graduate from Marquette with the attitude that has been displayed by some Marquette fans here and at their board. I'm not sure if I want any part of that place.

I owe you half a case as in I have to drink it, or provide it?

We'll see. The problem is if Brian will ever drink, he hates alchohol. You remember last year, getting him to drink coke and rum was tough.

Steve

People actually drink Miller Lite? Yipes! I can get tap water for free. I have actually rediscovered the beauty of the seven & seven.

I think the Big east was the best option for Marquette at the time, and A-10 for SLU. For very different reasons, neither team will be thrilled. What Marquette can gain, is that East Coast media bias exposure to their team and school and draw more players and students from there. Oh and fellow Spartan, don't let a message board or one dude cloud your judgement of where you want to go. Visit a school, preferrably while it is in session. I have been a long proponent of people going away for either undergrad or advanced degree to get another experience. I know some people at SLU, U of L, Marquette, DePaul, Notre Dame, others and have spent time there...etc...people who went to undergrad, or grad, or even law school at these places. Always willing to help a fellow Spartan. Any advice or info needed let me know.

First off the Statues are awesome. Perhaps you would prefer a Giant Fresco in Homage to Cheese Curd. All you do is B%tch about SLU, I'm married and get enough of that already. Maybe your MU fans give you crap because you are basically a sell out and that is ingrained in your personality. Furthermore, you want to be a lawyer so you gotta' have some personality defects. I'm no Dr. Phil but you got issues.

Oh yeah we didn't make up the USM thing that actually happened and Marquette lost. That was the funny part.