Zyree Collins

15 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

Yuri would have been awesome to watch in any real offense in my opinion 

I still wholeheartedly believe Yuri under Josh Schertz could've been an All American. No chance an offensive minded coach like JS doesn't figure out how to utilize the best passer in the nation. 

Also safe to assume Yuri would've developed a better 3PT shot (and had more open looks) and obviously he liked getting to the rack, another key component of JS' offense. Sub Yuri for Swope on last year's ISU team and imagine 

On 4/17/2024 at 10:29 AM, RUBillsFan said:

I haven't "seen the kids play" in person, but have read about antics & heard about them from people who have seen Walsh play.  We know Travis Ford had no issues taking guys who had baggage on some level and/or maybe weren't great chemistry guys (Situation 2 guys, Santos, Gordon, Nesbitt, Russell, Parker, Dalger, Ezewiro).  The fact that Ford & staff seemed to cool on Walsh and this stuff is out there gives me pause.  I'm not necessarily lumping Walsh with those guys.  Everyone has their own stuff going on to some degree.  I have zero inside info and we're talking about a kid here, so I feel bad even speculating about it.  I also wonder with a kid like that how well they'd transition to being "just" a role player in college instead of the star of the team.  He is no doubt talented, but is he is the talent worth it?

The reputation that Vianney, coached by Luke Walsh's dad, had was not good. Vianney was kind of like the Cobra Kai of local Catholic schools. I'm not sure how much of that is on Luke Walsh. I just don't think he's an A-10 level player.  For some reason he's rated higher than Zyree on 247 Sports and I imagine that comes from people not knowing much about their comparative abilities. My scouting eye is nothing great so take it with a grain of salt. 

11 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

The reputation that Vianney, coached by Luke Walsh's dad, had was not good. Vianney was kind of like the Cobra Kai of local Catholic schools. I'm not sure how much of that is on Luke Walsh. I just don't think he's an A-10 level player.  For some reason he's rated higher than Zyree on 247 Sports and I imagine that comes from people not knowing much about their comparative abilities. My scouting eye is nothing great so take it with a grain of salt. 

When I was a Phi Kap pledge my freshman year, one fun tidbit of information I had to learn about the senior class was one of them was the 4th all time leading rusher at Vianney. Aside from the guys who played for Tony Severino at Rockhurst, the Vianney football alums really held on to the glory days more than anyone I encountered at SLU. 

5 hours ago, Crewsorlose said:

This stuff is the ultimate St. Louis nonsense.

There is nothing wrong with Vianney or the Vianney basketball team.  Coach Walsh is hugely respected in the area.  I see no backlash when a team from DeSmet or CBC do the same things.  The catholic HSs usually act terribly during games.  It was much better in the 90s, when the North County schools like mine didn't have all their athletes stolen by those schools.  We went into those schools and taught the spoiled rich boys some humility.  And their daddy's would never be brave enough to come out of the stands and fight us.

2 hours ago, thetorch said:

There is nothing wrong with Vianney or the Vianney basketball team.  Coach Walsh is hugely respected in the area.  I see no backlash when a team from DeSmet or CBC do the same things.  The catholic HSs usually act terribly during games.  It was much better in the 90s, when the North County schools like mine didn't have all their athletes stolen by those schools.  We went into those schools and taught the spoiled rich boys some humility.  And their daddy's would never be brave enough to come out of the stands and fight us.

Do people from North County schools go into St. Peters and teach spoiled rich boys some humility? 

2 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Do people from North County schools go into St. Peters and teach spoiled rich boys some humility? 

How dumb. 

You are confusing some sort of misguided geographical economic disparity with the silly pissing contests between the area boys catholic high schools. I live in St. Peters. Across Mexico rd from me is a subdivision of double wides. Meanwhile 63034 in north county is the top ten richest zip code in the state. 

For over a year Walsh has been subject to some rather vicious rumors starting from other catholic boys schools. He's been attacked in games by other teams and their parents. Most of this stems from him not going to the "right" catholic boys school.  Now we have posters calling Vianney "Cobra Kai." The rest of the MCC has head hunted Walsh the entire time he's been in HS. Maybe he's not an A10 level player but i think if he played for CBC, DeSmet, or SLUH you'd be singing a different tune about him.

This is becoming a great St. Louis thread! I do appreciate the line above “daddy’s would never be brave enough to come out of the stands and fight us” referring to adults fighting high school kids as bravery haha.

Pistol likes this

20 hours ago, thetorch said:

I've talked to a lot of people, including people at Vianney. I think my post is pretty balanced. I could say much worse but decided not to, precisely to avoid the kind of thing you're accusing me of. I'm not from here. I don't know what kids at De Smet or CBC do or used to do. I don't care about 1997 or 2008. I'm just talking about this year and what a surprising number of people have told me about Vianney. 

On 4/19/2024 at 8:07 PM, thetorch said:

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

If Zyree Collins decides to Google himself, this thread is the 10th hit.

Let's hope he doesn't.

Says the person who posted in it and helped get it pushed into the top 5.

On 4/19/2024 at 2:34 PM, thatskablamo said:

When I was a Phi Kap pledge my freshman year, one fun tidbit of information I had to learn about the senior class was one of them was the 4th all time leading rusher at Vianney. Aside from the guys who played for Tony Severino at Rockhurst, the Vianney football alums really held on to the glory days more than anyone I encountered at SLU. 

🧐

On 4/19/2024 at 2:23 PM, Crewsorlose said:

On 4/20/2024 at 4:34 PM, Crewsorlose said:

I've talked to a lot of people, including people at Vianney. I think my post is pretty balanced. I could say much worse but decided not to, precisely to avoid the kind of thing you're accusing me of. I'm not from here. I don't know what kids at De Smet or CBC do or used to do. I don't care about 1997 or 2008. I'm just talking about this year and what a surprising number of people have told me about Vianney. 

Of all the nonsense that was on here during s1, s2, covid, etc….. these are the weirdest two posts I’ve seen on this site. ‘I could say much worse but decided not to’, as if you’re taking the high road on this. Then combine it with the weird STL high school complex. Bizarre.

This is weird, weird behavior. Like next level weird. 

On 4/19/2024 at 10:50 PM, thetorch said:

How dumb. 

You are confusing some sort of misguided geographical economic disparity with the silly pissing contests between the area boys catholic high schools. I live in St. Peters. Across Mexico rd from me is a subdivision of double wides. Meanwhile 63034 in north county is the top ten richest zip code in the state. 

For over a year Walsh has been subject to some rather vicious rumors starting from other catholic boys schools. He's been attacked in games by other teams and their parents. Most of this stems from him not going to the "right" catholic boys school.  Now we have posters calling Vianney "Cobra Kai." The rest of the MCC has head hunted Walsh the entire time he's been in HS. Maybe he's not an A10 level player but i think if he played for CBC, DeSmet, or SLUH you'd be singing a different tune about him.

Per 2022 Census info not only is it not top 10, the median income for 63034 ($116k) is over $70,000 less than the 10th ranked zip code in the state - 63127, aka Sunset Hills at $185k. https://www.incomebyzipcode.com/missouri

And no, I don't know why I cared enough to look into this. 

10 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

Per 2022 Census info not only is it not top 10, the median income for 63034 ($116k) is over $70,000 less than the 10th ranked zip code in the state - 63127, aka Sunset Hills at $185k. https://www.incomebyzipcode.com/missouri

And no, I don't know why I cared enough to look into this. 

Wow.  I remember the time before the internet when "Cliff Clavens" could just make stuff up without people being able to call bs.......Seemed like an odd stat.......

When I was st SLU in the dark ages the pecking order was SLUH guys looked down at  CBC guys who looked down at DeSmet guys who looked down at Vianney guys. The only ones I remember. One of my best friends was a Vianney grad and constantly said Vianney kids could buy and sell all the Catholic boys schools and have enough left over to buy the all the Catholic girls schools. For some reason which Catholic school you went to was always one of the first questions asked when you met someone new. Being from Maine I made up my school St Downeast. Our mascot was a Lobster. 

12 hours ago, Littlebill said:

Of all the nonsense that was on here during s1, s2, covid, etc….. these are the weirdest two posts I’ve seen on this site. ‘I could say much worse but decided not to’, as if you’re taking the high road on this. Then combine it with the weird STL high school complex. Bizarre.

This is weird, weird behavior. Like next level weird. 

I don't know man, just reporting a general vibe. The Cobra Kai thing is a joke that someone else told me. I'm not going to get into specifics that would fall under rumors. I hope all of the Vianney kids land at good spots and if that's SLU, I'll root for them.

That you think these posts are the weirdest thing you've found on this message board in five years says more about you than anything about the posts. 

23 hours ago, Crewsorlose said:

I don't know man, just reporting a general vibe. The Cobra Kai thing is a joke that someone else told me. I'm not going to get into specifics that would fall under rumors. I hope all of the Vianney kids land at good spots and if that's SLU, I'll root for them.

That you think these posts are the weirdest thing you've found on this message board in five years says more about you than anything about the posts. 

sure Jan

Ps I should’ve clarified ‘besides courtside’