GDT: SLU v. La Salle

7 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Tough to beat? We're 2-8 and lost to Fordham at home.

People get really insane any time they see a single positive thing. The Billikens shot 41% from three. 102 points. The last time we scored this many points was in the 1950s(?) ..

I watched a much better team than this score 19 points in the lowest point total in the shot clock era, too. That team had Kevin Lisch and Tommie Liddell on it.

Weird stuff happens in sports, it just does. it is HARD to lose every game.

Losing every game is just as difficult and impressive as winning every game. That's sports. That's how it is.

That 100 point thing is for conference games. I'm pretty sure SLU has scored 100 points several times since the 1950s.

billikenbill likes this

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Gremio14 said:

I hear you.  I’m a half full guy.  Saw a path out of the darkness in the last game.

Now let’s give it full gas!

There’s glass half full and unreasonable. This team did this one time in 20 games this season. This is an aberration against the worst team in the A10 as of right now, not a corner turn. 

2 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

That 100 point thing is for conference games. I'm pretty sure SLU has scored 100 points several times since the 1950s.

Right. The last time SLU scored over 100 was against Lincoln earlier this season (102). The last time SLU scored over 100 vs. a D-I opponent was against UAPB on 12/5/2020 (107). Scoring over 100 in conference is what makes the La Salle game unique.

12 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

There’s glass half full and unreasonable. This team did this one time in 20 games this season. This is an aberration against the worst team in the A10 as of right now, not a corner turn. 

Next two games will tell us if this was an anomaly or a corner turn.  I know I’ll be at the VCU game…shouting my head off and converting another date into a Bills fan.

FIND THE OPEN MAN!

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

The old Jimerson was without Yuri and Parker for 15 games and was averaging nearly 17 ppg.  He disappeared at VCU and has never been seen again.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Gibby's FG% and 3-pt% this season without Yuri is the worst of his career. It's not surprising.

His 3% is just a tick below normal.  If he has one big game from 3 his numbers will be right where they normally are. 

As for FG, the amount of easy backdoor cuts that was eliminated killed it for him. That was Yuri's specialty. Gibby isn't good at finishing through contact. 

24 minutes ago, wgstl said:

His 3% is just a tick below normal.  If he has one big game from 3 his numbers will be right where they normally are. 

As for FG, the amount of easy backdoor cuts that was eliminated killed it for him. That was Yuri's specialty. Gibby isn't good at finishing through contact. 

Perhaps, but conversely Gibby was 5-6 from 3 against D2 Lincoln - in games against D1 opponents, his 3% on the season is .348.  BTW, I'm not really knocking Gibby, this was to be expected.

3 hours ago, ACE said:

Perhaps, but conversely Gibby was 5-6 from 3 against D2 Lincoln - in games against D1 opponents, his 3% on the season is .348.  BTW, I'm not really knocking Gibby, this was to be expected.

the PG play on this team is brutally bad. Our shooters are pretty much the only redeeming quality -- and ezewiro is pretty decent when fatigue isn't putting him on the bench.

4 hours ago, wgstl said:

Not only the backdoor cuts, but the quick outlet pass too.  Many, many times Yuri hit a streaking Gibby with 3/4 court pass for an easy layup.

wgstl likes this

5 hours ago, White Pelican said:

Bach in the Ekker years we would open up against Roosevelt from Chicago. We would score something like 120. 

29 minutes ago, Dr Bird said:

Not only the backdoor cuts, but the quick outlet pass too.  Many, many times Yuri hit a streaking Gibby with 3/4 court pass for an easy layup.

No only lay-ups, it was also cool when he'd find Gibby on a semi-break hanging out open at the 3-point line.

Dr Bird likes this

I specifically remember last weekend against Fordham Gibby was wide open in the corner. Medley broke down the defense and got him even more open with a perfect angle. Then he did a one handed jump pass through traffic to Hargrove and turned it over. 

Gibby is never gonna be a guy who can even semi consistently create his own shot. And Ford can't consistently scheme him open. So he needs a capable point guard. And we don't have one.

I get the dislike for Yuri for flirting with leaving and then not leading us anywhere. But from a basketball standpoint he covered up a ton of deficiencies.