The Wiz's Preconference Forecast 2023-24

The Wiz

Just now, willie said:

You certainly have elevated Ezewiro after 2 games. Maybe we should see a few more. 

Teams will adapt to him, we've seen it before, we will see it again. What they can't adapt to is a guy who can shoot 50% or better from 3. Noone can adjust to that. That's NBA hall of famer stuff.

That's why we gonna lose.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I'm actually fine with our current percentage - .377 is good for 42nd in the nation.

The attempts are the issue. We shoot 19.8 per game and we all know by now that coming into this season, Ford said we might shoot 30 per game.

We're a poor shooting team inside the arc (.487, currently 278th in the country) and we're a bottom-10% offensive rebounding team so we don't create second chances. We should be focused on moving the ball around more and getting open looks for Jimerson, Parker, Hargrove, Meadows, and Curcic (and to a lesser extent, Hughes and Medley). That's a lot of genuine perimeter threats.

And if we're going inside, we should be looking to draw fouls and not settling for mid-range jumpers. This team has been effective getting to the line and making them at a pretty good rate.

-The attempts are the issue - yep,  

-Ford said we might shoot 30 per game - but at least it's the first time he's said something in the preseason that the team didn't end up executing

-we'll see what he develops during this pause before conf play

I'm sure these guys are able to generate lots of 3-point attempts against the mediocre defense they see in practice.  Doing it in a real game is another matter entirely.  Medley and Meadows attempts at breaking down the defense don't scare anybody.  

Regardless, I expect us to be one of higher scoring teams in the A10 if Parker can return to form.  If you score 78 points, who cares how you score them?  The issue is can you hold the other team under 78 points?

CenHudDude likes this

7 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'm sure these guys are able to generate lots of 3-point attempts against the mediocre defense they see in practice.  Doing it in a real game is another matter entirely.  Medley and Meadows attempts at breaking down the defense don't scare anybody.  

Regardless, I expect us to be one of higher scoring teams in the A10 if Parker can return to form.  If you score 78 points, who cares how you score them?  The issue is can you hold the other team under 78 points?

slowing the game down and limiting possessions. We aren't talented or skilled enough to play full-sprint basketball. We don't rebound well enough, either.

The Billikens are probably one of the best H.O.R.S.E. playing teams in the country. We need to do everything we can to make the game more similar to playing shooting games like that. That's all we have on this roster.

Also Fire Travis Ford.

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

We don't have to sprint to score 6 more ppg than we've averaged in the last three games.  We just need our top scorer back healthy.

No no, i mean to play defense with this roster the best thing we can do is limit overall possessions in the game. We just generated 6 turnovers in 80 minutes of basketball. We need to really slow it down, take 20+ seconds per possession, and have high-value shots(3pt) from high-percentage shooters(jimerson, parker, possibly thames, hargrove once in awhile)

That's a formula that this roster can win with. Give Brad the ball once in awhile to try and make sure the opponent does defend the interior, but his job is to mostly be there and make sure they have to have someone underneath the basket.

We might want to even try billiken_roy's favorite strategy of not having players under the basket on opposing free throws.

The Billikens have high % from beyond the arc, we really don't have much else going for us. Our numbers don't lie and other than 3pt % and free throw %, we are abysmal.

33 minutes ago, Soderball said:

No no, i mean to play defense with this roster the best thing we can do is limit overall possessions in the game. We just generated 6 turnovers in 80 minutes of basketball. We need to really slow it down, take 20+ seconds per possession, and have high-value shots(3pt) from high-percentage shooters(jimerson, parker, possibly thames, hargrove once in awhile)

That's a formula that this roster can win with. Give Brad the ball once in awhile to try and make sure the opponent does defend the interior, but his job is to mostly be there and make sure they have to have someone underneath the basket.

We might want to even try billiken_roy's favorite strategy of not having players under the basket on opposing free throws.

The Billikens have high % from beyond the arc, we really don't have much else going for us. Our numbers don't lie and other than 3pt % and free throw %, we are abysmal.

You need to be good at passing to regularly run the clock down and get a good shot.  Teams who aren't particularly good at passing have to take shots when they're open.

4 hours ago, Soderball said:

Teams will adapt to him, we've seen it before, we will see it again. What they can't adapt to is a guy who can shoot 50% or better from 3. Noone can adjust to that. That's NBA hall of famer stuff.

That's why we gonna lose.

Counterpoint: He probably won’t face any better defenders at center than the last two teams. His biggest obstacle will probably be fouls.

27 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Counterpoint: He probably won’t face any better defenders at center than the last two teams. His biggest obstacle will probably be fouls.

Brad can play. I've been clear about that since moment 1. Expecting him to be the A10 POY is nuts. The only previous indication of him that teams had is that he was a backbencher on an awful G'town team. Teams are going to be looking to try and address him going forward. I agree that he can play and did so against stiff competition especially at NCST

• 2 months later...
On 12/26/2023 at 9:33 PM, slu72 said:

3rd from the bottom means a 5-13 record in a weak conference? Boy, if that comes to pass this board will implode. 

Record was spot on, but the place was actually one spot worse. What an absolute mess of a season.