The Bills and USU Even

The Wiz

General Outlook......There has been a lot of talk this season about the A10 being down and that we are a 1 bid league.  So I asked the computer if there was no automatic bid would the A10 get a bid...The answer was probably not.  Chances of a bid to the A10 with no auto bid is 37%. Just another way of measuring the A10 regression...though it is still early and that might change but for now the computer is unimpressed with the league. We still have a couple more games to go before we have enough data to make any serious prognostications.

Game Preview....This will be the Bills toughest challenge to date....We come into the game still clinging to B-  while USU shows up with a grade of B+ and a lot of fancy stats to show they are for real. They are one of the top 2  pt shooting teams ITN. ..with 2 players shooting 63.6% and 62%. One of them Great Osoler (no it is not a typo...his name is Great) is Mr USU  as he is listed in 4 key categories of  top 100 players(see report card below) In addition they have 2 other players listed in 3 more top 100 areas.  On top of this they have one of the best defenses ITN.  So are we goners?  No... the computer says we have a good chance to win this game.   It says if we play like we did in the 1st half of the DART game ...we win by 7....but if we play like we did in the 2nd half we lose by 9. Most of the simulations fall around even....with about 70% showing a range of The Bills by 4 down to USU by 2.  A TO or a missed layup could be the difference in the game.  Make 2s (50.5%)  and win.

Report Card.... 

..Report card for this game is neutral with 2 categories up and 2 down.

Let's see what things look like....

...................SLU......................USU........................SLU.............................USU

.................................OFF..........................................................DEF.............

PPG...............C+.......................B.............................C..................................A-

FG%...............D+......................A+..10th ITN............C+................................A-

3P%...............A-......................C..............................B....................................A+..2nd ITN

FT%...............C+......................D-.......................................................................

Reb...............D..........................B.............................F....................................A

OFF Rebs  = total rebs...DEF Rebs = opp reb

UP...............Off....none..........Def.....PPG...3P%

Down.........Off......PPG...FG%.......Def....none

Top 100 In The Nation

SLU

FT%...Jimerson...56th

USU

PPG...Osoler...28th

Rebs....".....".....24th

Blks....."....".....22nd

FG%....Falslev...71st (63.6%)....Osoler...100th(62%)

Asst....Brown II ...2nd

Stls...Falslev...91st

Injury /Illness report and misc

The Bills....

Parker ....Nov 17....Foot...fractured  foot...out indefinitely

USU...

None

Key to the Game......Make 2s...This is even more important this game as USU's strong suits are 2P% and 3P Def....Stop Osoler....Brown (their version of Yuri)will feed Osoler and that is their play.

WWN2D2W...45/51/38/72....Hold their top 3 scorers to 34 pts...Hold USU  to 72 pts...Stop Osoler...Hold him to less than 50% FG%...7 rebs.....1 blk.......SLU TOs 10 or 3 TOs less that USU...

Bottom line....Play 40 min of focused and fast bball....If The Bills can make some 2s, it could turn out to be a not so "GREAT" day for USU

I think the computer is skewed by our early season games vs competition that lacked big men.  This is a C- team. The computer will catch up soon.  Maybe there's money to be made until the models catch up. 

19 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Wiz, we have no way of defending their 6'8 245 lb power forward who is averaging 20 and 10.  If we don't shoot a high percentage from three, it's a wrap.

No question...we have to make some shots (see slash above...especially 2s)...They are #2 ITN in 3P def....however we are far better from the arc than any team they have played so far. Again if we can make some shots and play without any mental letups  we have a chance to win this game.

33 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I think the computer is skewed by our early season games vs competition that lacked big men.  This is a C- team. The computer will catch up soon.  Maybe there's money to be made until the models catch up. 

It's skewed because Parker isn't playing.  Wyoming didn't lack big men, we were just able to counter them with 22 points from Parker.  With him we're a B-.  Without him, I agree, we're a C-.

26 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

No question...we have to make some shots (see slash above...especially 2s)...They are #2 ITN in 3P def....however we are far better from the arc than any team they have played so far. Again if we can make some shots and play without any mental letups  we have a chance to win this game.

SFA is a better shooting 3 point team than us(14 int although they dont shoot a lot) -granted they were bad the night they faced Utah st. Bradley is a solid team too

13 minutes ago, wgstl said:

SFA is a better shooting 3 point team than us(14 int although they dont shoot a lot) -granted they were bad the night they faced Utah st. Bradley is a solid team too

I maintain that we're a good three point shooting team, we don't a. shoot enough and b. run enough action to get good looks

billiken_roy likes this

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I maintain that we're a good three point shooting team, we don't a. shoot enough and b. run enough action to get good looks

I agree we are.  But Utah st has played a few good 3 point teams already. 

29 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

It's skewed because Parker isn't playing.  Wyoming didn't lack big men, we were just able to counter them with 22 points from Parker.  With him we're a B-.  Without him, I agree, we're a C-.

I was going to post the same thing. I can see us being the current ranking with a healthy Parker, but without him we are not a good team. Without Parker we don't have the offensive fire power to make up for the poor defense/rebounding.

58 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

I am not a betting man, but I think I would bet against us in this one. 

There's big money to be made betting against SLU right now.

The Wichita state spread was straight up free cash if you watched WSU play the night before.

Just now, TheChosenOne said:

I was going to post the same thing. I can see us being the current ranking with a healthy Parker, but without him we are not a good team. Without Parker we don't have the offensive fire power to make up for the poor defense/rebounding.

And USU is in the same position.  And I quote from their own message board, "Without him (Great), we are 1-4 up to this point.". This is the plight of most mid majors.  If your most talented scorer is in the lineup, you've got a chance to be good.  If not, not so much.

31 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

agree.  Zero inside-out passes.  Albeit these "kickouts" work best when they need to double team our big.  Teams generally do not need to double-team our bigs.

If y'all want your eyes opened go check out these same threads from the Jim Crews final two seasons. Much of the same kind of optimism, people talking about Brett Jollys ways to contribute.

We are bad, folks. We might not be at that full blown Crewsplatt level yet but this roster full of foreign stiffs and ineligibles is on the way to it. Somehow SLU has done it again.

29 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

And USU is in the same position.  And I quote from their own message board, "Without him (Great), we are 1-4 up to this point.". This is the plight of most mid majors.  If your most talented scorer is in the lineup, you've got a chance to be good.  If not, not so much.

He does turn it over a lot.  Really the only chance we have against him

USU's coach from last year's run is now at VCU. He was only there 2 years. 

Their new coach,  D. Sprinkle is from Montana State. Won the Big Sky the last 2 years. 

16 minutes ago, Dr Bird said:

agree.  Zero inside-out passes.  Albeit these "kickouts" work best when they need to double team our big.  Teams generally do not need to double-team our bigs.

We don't have an inside game. TJ playes at the top of the key screening and occasionally driving to the basket. Haven't seen enough of Bruce but I don't beleive we change the set. 

13 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I'll say we keep it within double digits. I'm not sure we're at the point where we get blown off our home floor by an average non conference team.

After that Dartmouth game or whatever the heck it turned into, I don’t think there’s anything this team won’t do on our home floor or otherwise.  We deserved to lose that game three times over.