Womens Basketball 2023-2024

thetorch

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, White Pelican said:

I read somewhere that she was injured on Monday and is on crutches. That's all I know, and if anyone else has an update, I'm all ears.

Fouk, what is it with our programs and injuries to key players?

79-75 win over UIC. As per usual, while losing entering the 4th, they end up winning. Peyton Kennedy with 29 pts, 12-12 from the field, 5-5 from free throws, yes please, do more of that. Literally cannot do better shooting the ball. Sadly, I was unable to attend.

27 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

79-75 win over UIC. As per usual, while losing entering the 4th, they end up winning. Peyton Kennedy with 29 pts, 12-12 from the field, 5-5 from free throws, yes please, do more of that. Literally cannot do better shooting the ball. Sadly, I was unable to attend.

It was a great game if you liked turnovers. 52 in total. 

20 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

12-12 is a new program record (2 players had previously gone 10-10).

29 points on just 12 FG attempts is crazy.  For reference, McMakin set the single game record of 40 points last season, but she took 33(!) FGs.

Here is the latest from Stu on Julia Martinez.  She can sometimes be turnover prone herself, but is steadier than Calhoun and her presence as a ball-handler was clearly missed versus UIC.

1 minute ago, RUBillsFan said:

12-12 is a new program record (2 players had previously gone 10-10).

29 points on just 12 FG attempts is crazy.  For reference, McMakin set the single game record of 40 points last season, but she took 33(!) FGs.

Here is the latest from Stu on Julia Martinez.  She can sometimes be turnover prone herself, but is steadier than Calhoun and her presence as a ball-handler was clearly missed versus UIC.

With Julia back, we're in such a better position to win.

22 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

The paper said she is due back “soon”, so I would hope only another game or so

WBB's next game is Friday 12/1 so they have some time before that.  However, they also play 12/3, 12/6, and 12/9 before a break until 12/16.  "Soon" as the timeline could reasonably result in her missing 0 to 4 games.

I could be wrong here, but don't think SLU has any at-large hopes despite being picked near the top of the A-10.  That means non-conference W/L isn't super important (aside from possibly NIT implications or ancillary benefits to the program).  Then A-10 play is all about getting a good seed for the tournament and setting yourself up to win the A-10 tournament is most important.  All this is to say that rushing Martinez back for a non-conference game would be silly.

20 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

WBB's next game is Friday 12/1 so they have some time before that.  However, they also play 12/3, 12/6, and 12/9 before a break until 12/16.  "Soon" as the timeline could reasonably result in her missing 0 to 4 games.

I could be wrong here, but don't think SLU has any at-large hopes despite being picked near the top of the A-10.  That means non-conference W/L isn't super important (aside from possibly NIT implications or ancillary benefits to the program).  Then A-10 play is all about getting a good seed for the tournament and setting yourself up to win the A-10 tournament is most important.  All this is to say that rushing Martinez back for a non-conference game would be silly.

There have been some years where the A10 women have had multiple bids, last year if URI and UMass had played each other in the conf championship might have been one of those years, but some team from Mid-town St Louis ended both their NCAA hopes. 

38 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Yeah I think at this point in SLU WBB history your non-con schedule only serves as an extra benchmark for year in year out improvement. Assuming WBB continues on a steady upward trajectory it will be a few more years before at-large bids are realistically on the table at the beginning of seasons and even then, as LE said, it's kind of up to the A10 to do its part as well. If they would have gone 2 for 2 in Hawaii, I think it would have been squarely on the table.