SLU Women's Soccer Thread

On 8/25/2023 at 3:40 PM, Cowboy II said:

-this sounds promising "had interest from a specific group of Big Ten, Big 12, Big East, and Pac 12 schools. "

Each recruitment is unique and takes twists and turns. Generally speaking SLU recruits head to head against everyone except the top few schools in the ACC and Pac 12. (SLU isn’t competitive at that level) Otherwise they are win some lose some against most Power 5, and, the top few programs in the WCC, Ivy, Big East, AAC. That is the current level. 

Hopefully the other recruit that visited with Avery will also commit soon. SLU has had just one player commit elsewhere so far that took an official visit to SLU. And SLU has been getting most (not all) of the players they want with mutual interest. Strong start this recruiting cycle.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, courtside said:

Each recruitment is unique and takes twists and turns. Generally speaking SLU recruits head to head against everyone except the top few schools in the ACC and Pac 12. (SLU isn’t competitive at that level) Otherwise they are win some lose some against most Power 5, and, the top few programs in the WCC, Ivy, Big East, AAC. That is the current level. 

Hopefully the other recruit that visited with Avery will also commit soon. SLU has had just one player commit elsewhere so far that took an official visit to SLU. And SLU has been getting most (not all) of the players they want with mutual interest. Strong start this recruiting cycle.

How do our facilities compare with the top schools in the ACC and PAC 12 or should I say PAC 4?

13 hours ago, willie said:

How do our facilities compare with the top schools in the ACC and PAC 12 or should I say PAC 4?

Mixed is the answer to your question.

The best way to put it is to say that the two new buildings have helped negate a big recruiting disadvantage. It gets you in the game. SLU now has somewhere to take and show recruits. The schools SLU recruits against most, are often adding things here and there annually to be more competitive. And the new buildings will give SLU an advantage over some schools that are trying to reach SLU’s level.

But there is more work to do regarding facilities. It’s an ongoing thing. And, facilities, are just one of many important aspects to having a successful program. 

…………..

With regards to some of the top 10 level schools: SLU can emphasize its strengths, and try to minimize its weaknesses in recruiting. 

Academically, SLU isn’t Stanford, Duke, UNC, UVA, UCLA etc…It isn’t going to be Ivy league level any time soon. The A10 is not a top 9 league for Women’s soccer. It isn’t going to be the ACC. And so on.  It’s difficult to land elite level national players against a select number of schools for various reasons. 

However, SLU is more than competitive with many schools in those 9 leagues, including most Power 5 schools, especially those schools that are not located on the coasts.

Keep in mind that different recruits want different things. 

Gremio14 likes this

Hannah Larson was named to the Top Drawer Soccer National Team of the Week.

Top Drawer Soccer ranking this week is 14th nationally.

College Soccer News Ranking this week is 13th nationally. 

…………….

Xavier likes to play a familiar 4-2-3-1. They are a defend and counter team. Their strength is through their center backs up the middle. They lost just their first regular season game recently since losing to SLU last season. Well coached, disciplined defensive team with very good solid players. 

They are a front foot team with pace at the beginning of games. It’s a good opportunity for SLU to open with a 4-1-3-2 and pressure 5. Xavier had some trouble with the front 4 pressure from Louisville. Opening up the game, while still defending the middle would be a good approach for SLU.

7 minutes ago, shempie said:

Any idea why the ladies decided to replace @Iowa with UMKC last weekend? I have heard thet paid to get out of that game. Just curious.

Scheduling conflict. Essentially SLU replaced Iowa with Brown. (Brown is a top 20 team nationally this season). The Kansas City game is a return game from last year’s road game there. SLU plays Iowa regularly, home and home. And to Iowa’s credit, they did so before SLU built a top 25 program.

Iowa coach Dave Dilanni is long time good friends with Katie Shields. Iowa has a good solid program. SLU will play them again some time.

SLU likes to play KC region games. Their coach Jess Smith is also a friend of the program, and, Summer Ball coach of multiple SLU players. (This Summer Carol Kelly and Addy Lang) Often times SLU’s schedule will include a return game from the previous season, or a new home and home. 

SLU also likes to spread the leagues around as much as possible by playing a game in as many Power 5 leagues as possible, as well as in the handful of other high level soccer leagues, such as adding the Ivy League this season. It’s important to play teams that are expected to have strong seasons.

Scheduling can be challenging sometimes. There are a few programs that I’d like to see added to the schedule. (Georgetown is one, Women and Men) SLU plays different programs for different reasons.

It is essential for SLU to play 4-5 strong RPI games non/conference, because the league isn’t a strong league. So far, Dayton has been the league team getting some results. Some others have been disappointing to begin the season. 

In non-conference, BYU has been as expected, a top 10 level team. SLU could have played any of Utah, (Katie is friends with Hideki) Utah State, or Utah Valley as their 2nd game in Utah. Hopefully Utah State can get some results. Close loss to Utah the other day, a good program. Clemson for example took a trip there last week, and they came away with 2 close wins over Utah and Utah Valley. They didn’t play BYU. BYU is tougher to schedule because they don’t play on Sundays. 

Brown is the 3 time Ivy champ expected to be a top 20 team. Nebraska was a top 4 Big 10 team last year, and they are off to a good start this season with wins over Baylor and Gonzaga. Big game for them bs Mizzou this week. Xavier is a top 25 caliber program. And they will be a very challenging game for SLU this week. 

This is a rare season SLU does not play Missouri State. They are playing a free regular season game against Mizzou at SLSG. (Both recruit St. Louis). I mention Missouri State because former Billiken Gracie English scored a few big goals for them recently, including the game winner over Oklahoma State. Popular teammate. Good for her. That’s great. 

1 hour ago, courtside said:

Scheduling conflict. Essentially SLU replaced Iowa with Brown. (Brown is a top 20 team nationally this season). The Kansas City game is a return game from last year’s road game there. SLU plays Iowa regularly, home and home. And to Iowa’s credit, they did so before SLU built a top 25 program.

Iowa coach Dave Dilanni is long time good friends with Katie Shields. Iowa has a good solid program. SLU will play them again some time.

SLU likes to play KC region games. Their coach Jess Smith is also a friend of the program, and, Summer Ball coach of multiple SLU players. (This Summer Carol Kelly and Addy Lang) Often times SLU’s schedule will include a return game from the previous season, or a new home and home. 

SLU also likes to spread the leagues around as much as possible by playing a game in as many Power 5 leagues as possible, as well as in the handful of other high level soccer leagues, such as adding the Ivy League this season. It’s important to play teams that are expected to have strong seasons.

Scheduling can be challenging sometimes. There are a few programs that I’d like to see added to the schedule. (Georgetown is one, Women and Men) SLU plays different programs for different reasons.

It is essential for SLU to play 4-5 strong RPI games non/conference, because the league isn’t a strong league. So far, Dayton has been the league team getting some results. Some others have been disappointing to begin the season. 

In non-conference, BYU has been as expected, a top 10 level team. SLU could have played any of Utah, (Katie is friends with Hideki) Utah State, or Utah Valley as their 2nd game in Utah. Hopefully Utah State can get some results. Close loss to Utah the other day, a good program. Clemson for example took a trip there last week, and they came away with 2 close wins over Utah and Utah Valley. They didn’t play BYU. BYU is tougher to schedule because they don’t play on Sundays. 

Brown is the 3 time Ivy champ expected to be a top 20 team. Nebraska was a top 4 Big 10 team last year, and they are off to a good start this season with wins over Baylor and Gonzaga. Big game for them bs Mizzou this week. Xavier is a top 25 caliber program. And they will be a very challenging game for SLU this week. 

This is a rare season SLU does not play Missouri State. They are playing a free regular season game against Mizzou at SLSG. (Both recruit St. Louis). I mention Missouri State because former Billiken Gracie English scored a few big goals for them recently, including the game winner over Oklahoma State. Popular teammate. Good for her. That’s great. 

Thanks!

courtside likes this

6 hours ago, courtside said:

…………….

Xavier likes to play a familiar 4-2-3-1. They are a defend and counter team. Their strength is through their center backs up the middle. They lost just their first regular season game recently since losing to SLU last season. Well coached, disciplined defensive team with very good solid players. 

They are a front foot team with pace at the beginning of games. It’s a good opportunity for SLU to open with a 4-1-3-2 and pressure 5. Xavier had some trouble with the front 4 pressure from Louisville. Opening up the game, while still defending the middle would be a good approach for SLU.

SLU is 23rd in this week’s United Soccer Coaches poll.

SLU is 13/15/23 in the polls this week.

BYU is 9/9/7.

X is NR/30/25. 

Nebraska hasn’t lost a game yet. And that includes a 3-1 road win at Gonzaga. Gonzaga doesn’t have any high profile wins yet. (They are however a good team.) United Soccer Coaches has Gonzaga ranked in the top 25 this week, but not Nebraska. College Soccer News has Nebraska as most votes of non ranked teams.

Brown is 16/26/26.

Well that didn’t work out well. SLU just couldn’t get the ball in the net no matter what they did. Something to work on. The one Xavier goal was on a PK, May have been one of the few calls the ref got right. I don’t think I’ve seen Katie Shields get on the refs that much in a single game. The Billikens might need new shirts because Xavier stretched them out so much from grabbing and holding on to them so much.  Oh well, I’m sure there’s things to work on, this reminded me far too much of the Memphis game last year.  Got to get those shots in the net.

SLU must have cornered the market on vuvuzelas, I can’t believe how many boxes of the things they had out to give away. I’m beginning to think they have become self-replicating in some store room down in some dark corner of Chaifetz. 

brianstl likes this

11 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Well that didn’t work out well. SLU just couldn’t get the ball in the net no matter what they did. Something to work on. The one Xavier goal was on a PK, May have been one of the few calls the ref got right. I don’t think I’ve seen Katie Shields get on the refs that much in a single game. The Billikens might need new shirts because Xavier stretched them out so much from grabbing and holding on to them so much.  Oh well, I’m sure there’s things to work on, this reminded me far too much of the Memphis game last year.  Got to get those shots in the net.

SLU must have cornered the market on vuvuzelas, I can’t believe how many boxes of the things they had out to give away. I’m beginning to think they have become self-replicating in some store room down in some dark corner of Chaifetz. 

My only comment from last night: Sawyer needs to play more.  Her pace was the only consistently effective weapon in the Bills offensive arsenal.

On 8/29/2023 at 9:10 AM, courtside said:

…………….

Xavier 1 SLU 0

Tough result for SLU against a good team. Since Nate Lie took over the X program, (7th season this year) X has played 4 games with SLU, and, the home team has won exactly zero of those games. Hopefully it’s a long continued home and home series. (I would still like to see SLU mix in Georgetown and Santa Clara too.) But having an annual top 25 caliber opponent home and home, is a good and needed thing for SLU’s non-conference schedule. 

Xavier will likely be making its 4th NCAA Tourney this season during that stretch, including a 4-1 win over Tennessee in last year’s event.

…………..

3rd straight season SLU has lost a close game on youth club night. 

………..

Formation: It was about what I expected. I was hoping to see SLU open in a 4-1-3-2 instead of a 4-2-3-1 but both teams played their 4-2-3-1. SLU changed to a 4-1-3-2 to begin the 2nd half. and generated a lot of offense, putting Xavier on its heels. SLU switched back after less than 15 minutes of it, but it opened up the game for SLU, and have them confidence and pace moving forward. They just weren’t efficient with the finishes inside the 18.

Credit Xavier’s back 4 for playing good, physical, team defense. They often made the final play during SLU scoring chances, time and time again, and they did so with good help defense, collapsing the middle. That’s Xavier’s strength, the middle of their defense. Opportunity was their for SLU to use its pace on the outside, which it did more and more as the hame progressed. But SLU’s set pieces and corners were limited until later in the game.

Freshman Kennedy Clark also gave Xavier some good minutes up top, helping often on the outside as well occupying defenders.

But the game was there for SLU to win. 

Good teams will take advantage when you turn the ball over in the middle lf the field. It doesn’t matter if it’s via the dribble, soft passes, going down on contact, or something else. It’s more effective to make the simple play than to do that. So you must be sure when making decisions there. That improved as the game progressed, as did winning 50/50 balls in the middle of the field. Lawler had many.

………….

For the most part, matching a 4-2-3-1 in the first half, sitting Gaebe for 23 minutes to begin the game worked out fine even if it wasn’t the most effective formation and personnel choice. SLU’s chances were more dangerous, less shots and final connecting passes. Xavier had a few chances and shots from distance, while winning a few corners. Xavier did well to just squeak out the final sequence in scoring chances, with Gaebe and Larson especially.

…………

2nd half

4-1-3-2 for SLU with best attacking personnel. It immediately put Xavier on its heels, and SLU started playing downhill. And its effect carried over even after SLU switched back formations. More confidence, more pace, and, it opened up the game which was what SLU wants, and what Xavier doesn’t.

Lots of runs and chances kept coming. that were either finished just wide, over the goal, blasted right at the keeper, or didn’t have the final lay off pass for a tap in goal. (Sawyer and Gaebe multiple times, Kelly, Groark) And when their keeper needed a good save or to be strong on set pieces, she was. Diving save on Heckel’s corner header. Xavier again also did well to collapse the middle to force SLU to make one extra play. 

………….

Similar to two years ago, Xavier goes the length of the field on a counter late, to win the game. This time, Houck was down on the ground trying to stretch out her lower leg, an issue which originated early in the game. Quick X throw in and long ball. Stram header clear, but again, to the middle of the field, turnover. Heckel took Clark, who slotted it to Vargas inside of Stram.

Credit Vargas for selling it to the official and for embellishment. Sniper got her. The call wasn’t a good call as it wasn’t enough for a PK, and it was inconsistent with how the game was called for the previous 78 minutes. Lots of physical but clean upper body defense both ways. And if you are going to call that one, Gaebe getting pulled down from behind in the box in the 55th minute gets one too. I’m pretty stingy with PK’s. 

………..

What a terrific game from Clare Nicholas. It’s what SLU has been seeking from her since she came out of one of the country’s best youth club programs in Cleveland. With Autumn Jackson injured and unavailable, it’s really a difference maker to have that moving forward at outside back. 

…………

Groark (knee), Simon (hip) are slowly getting their match fitness back. Progress. 

………….

Part of the fun is scheduling and competing against good teams. Xavier is going to win a lot of games. Xavier has lost only 1 regular season game since SLU won at Xavier last season. 

BYU had a 3-1 win over UCLA (defensing national champions) Nebraska had a 5-0 win over Mizzou. SLU will have more opportunities. 

There’s an opportunity for SLU to play its best formation, with its best personnel, against the top 25 teams to start the first half of games. Play for an early lead. 

I’m guessing the crowd here is around 3-4 thousand for the women’s game. SLU up 2-1 at half on goals by Caroline Kelly and Anna Lawler, gave up an early goal on a foul right in front of the goal just outside the box about 4 minutes in. Gotta start with more intensity. I guess a lot of people who would have come to this game are in Kansas City this weekend with St Louis City SC

Final 5-1 SLU, second half goals by Abbie  Miller on a PK after Hannah Larson get fouled in the box. Sophia Stram got a goal off of a free kick, and Samantha DeLuca got a goal off an assist by Hannah Sawyer. I will say Hannah Sawyer will relentlessly attack the goal no matter what the game situation, which is great to see. More and more people coming in for the men’s game now. I wish they had scheduled this for Friday night, I’m sure a lot of the people in KC now would be here. Of course, that would have turned I-70 into even more of a demolition derby than it already is. Oh well.

Edited by Lord Elrond
I can’t type on a stupid Iphone

SLU 5 SIUE 1

4-2-3-1 for SIUE. 4-1-3-2 for SLU.

SLU was better as the game progressed, especially playing through the central defensive midfield. Finding ground target passes and diagonal balls. 

Credit SIUE for playing a tough physical first 45. Their nice goal was similar to a BYU goal. Target pass triangles, one touch 1v1 vs defender and draw the 20 yard free kick that was buried.

Still having an issue at times defending the trailer/2nd runner. And SLU is still getting way too many attacking third offensive fouls. Many of those weren’t fouls. But it’s been enough games where you have to tweak a bit to the way the game is called and value possession in that part of the field. 

PK call for SLU was fortunate. I wouldn’t have called it. 

Nice to see several commits and targets at the game. 

Shots 24-4. Corners 6-1. 

………

SLU will be 21 in TDS national rankings this week.

BYU 3

Xavier 19

Brown 23

Nebraska 24

slufanskip likes this

SLU has multiple new commits. 

First up, is 2024 Caigan Leonard from New Windsor, New York. (Hudson River Valley)

Caigan is a two footed, attacking wing, who plays club ball with Quickstrike Patriots FC, out of Westchester, NY. She helped lead her team to the U18 USYS National Championship in late July in Orlando. She formerly formerly played with Cedar Stars.  

She also plays high school ball for Cornwall Central High School, where she was a Class A All Section New York player last season.

slufanskip likes this

SLU has a 2025 commit, Sydney Dulak  from Libertyville, IL.

Sydney is a skilled, dynamic, pacey, attacking wing that plays for Eclipse SC out of Chicago. She was a USYNT ID camp invitee earlier this year. 

Sydney played Super Cup this past Spring for Eclipse while attending Libertyville High School. She plays club on the 07 team. (Club mates and future Billikens, Emily Fox and Addison Stanciak, play on the 05/06 team.)

Sydney also considered schools from the ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12. 

Brown Bears. First Ever Meeting.  3 time IVY League Champs. Top 25 program. Great job by Kia McNeil with their group. Lots of Boston College ties with the Brown staff. A regular top of the Ivy opponent for SLU would be great long term for the schedule. It will be a tough game. 

Ivy League teams can start their season later than other leagues and that’s been the case with Brown.

Brown likes to play a 3-5-2. They play an aggressive, direct, offensive style. 

Seelenfreund and Raphino provide a lot of 5’10 size and athleticism up top. Brown likes to get them in space 2v2 or 1v1. Rapinho especially is dangerous as a target overpowering defenders, in space getting behind defenders, in the air on set pieces. Total package player. She will also move from up top to a wing position at times when Brown is leading a game.

Maguire is solid on the wing and can also play some up top. And Okonye is an immediate impact Freshman on the wing. Skilled and fast, she is especially dangerous as an inverted wing in the middle of the field. 

Brown builds often wide using the width of the field with good spacing. Cannot turn it over the in the middle on your own third of the field. Have to force some long balls and get them caught up in that style. 

Good back 3. Shell will step forward up the middle. Cardoza is very solid at right back. Allen will take some free kicks and curl left footed corners. Speaking of corners, that’s where the offensive space exists against Brown. Need to use the width and length of the field, win some set piece corners

SLU will likely play its 4-2-3-1 and see what the game produces to decide in game adjustments. 4-1-3-2 would be an ultra aggressive move to start the game and play for an early lead. I think SLU will instead try to collapse the middle defensively and push transitions counters directly. We’ll see.

Local ties: Several Billikens played youth club soccer with Naomi Ferguson. Naomi has unfortunately had several knee surgeries on both knees. But she is available and would be in a limited minutes bench substitute role if she were to see action at all. Brown will play a ton ot players. But in tight games or losing, their bench thins out quite a bit to about 4 players with maybe half getting bigger minutes. 

A 1-1 draw on the road against a team ranked just as high as you are is nothing to be ashamed of. No OT or PK’s to decide it, so oh well. A fairly even game statistically shots 12-11 Brown, Shots on goal 6-3 in favor of Brown, Corner kicks 12-3 favoring SLU. It just looked like a dead even game. Hannah Larson was lucky she didn’t get a second yellow, I could easily see a ref calling it in that late game challenge.  

Next up Nebraska, another game on the road against another highly rated team.  

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

A 1-1 draw on the road against a team ranked just as high as you are is nothing to be ashamed of. No OT or PK’s to decide it, so oh well. A fairly even game statistically shots 12-11 Brown, Shots on goal 6-3 in favor of Brown, Corner kicks 12-3 favoring SLU. It just looked like a dead even game. Hannah Larson was lucky she didn’t get a second yellow, I could easily see a ref calling it in that late game challenge.  

Next up Nebraska, another game on the road against another highly rated team.  

The announcers made way more of this than was actually in the challenge. It just looked bad because it was at speed.

6 hours ago, courtside said:

Brown Bears. First Ever Meeting.  3 time IVY League Champs. Top 25 program. Great job by Kia McNeil with their group. Lots of Boston College ties with the Brown staff. A regular top of the Ivy opponent for SLU would be great long term for the schedule. It will be a tough game. 

Ivy League teams can start their season later than other leagues and that’s been the case with Brown.

Brown likes to play a 3-5-2. They play an aggressive, direct, offensive style. 

Seelenfreund and Raphino provide a lot of 5’10 size and athleticism up top. Brown likes to get them in space 2v2 or 1v1. Raphino especially is dangerous as a target overpowering defenders, in space getting behind defenders, in the air on set pieces. Total package player. She will also move from up top to a wing position at times when Brown is leading a game.

Maguire is solid on the wing and can also play some up top. And Okonye is an immediate impact Freshman on the wing. Skilled and fast, she is especially dangerous as an inverted wing in the middle of the field. 

Brown builds often wide using the width of the field with good spacing. Cannot turn it over the in the middle on your own third of the field. Have to force some long balls and get them caught up in that style. 

Good back 3. Shell will step forward up the middle. Cardoza is very solid at right back. Allen will take some free kicks and curl left footed corners. Speaking of corners, that’s where the offensive space exists against Brown. Need to use the width and length of the field, win some set piece corners

SLU will likely play its 4-2-3-1 and see what the game produces to decide in game adjustments. 4-1-3-2 would be an ultra aggressive move to start the game and play for an early lead. I think SLU will instead try to collapse the middle defensively and push transitions counters directly. We’ll see.

Local ties: Several Billikens played youth club soccer with Naomi Ferguson. Naomi has unfortunately had several knee surgeries on both knees. But she is available and would be in a limited minutes bench substitute role if she were to see action at all. Brown will play a ton ot players. But in tight games or losing, their bench thins out quite a bit to about 4 players with maybe half getting bigger minutes. 

SLU 1 Brown 1

Fun game. Hard fought, close game, Tough result for the Billikens based on the run of play and stats in SLU’s favor much of the game. Brown is good. They played hard as expected but a draw will sting a bit for SLU. A win was there for the taking for SLU. It was SLU’s best game this season for a full 90. That was very encouraging.

But goal was going to be a challenge to be enough against Brown. The Bears will be happy with the draw based on the game play. 

…………

We talked about the opportunity was there to earn corners and pit pressure on the defense with set piece finish opportunities. SLU had 12 corners. Shots were 12 to 11. But SLU also had several other chances that didn’t result in either. Credit to Brown. They are good. They played a close game. 

………….

3-5-2 vs 4-2-3-1 as expected 

…………

Early goal for SLU, was winning the ball in the middle of the field, Kelly back to Miller who sent a nice pass in space for Groark in space on the wing. SLU gets a throw in to Kelly who occupies two defenders and centers but Brown’s clear was soft out to Simon who buried the goal from 15. Strong start.

………….

Early 7th minute Brown chance as Seelenfreund was pulled down and, then she hit a would be goal on a 22 yard free kick but Puricelli made a great save sending it over the bar. Talked about it pregame. Seelenfreund and Raphino are a handful up top for Brown. 

…………

SLU did well to defend the middle of the field in the first half, and to force Brown wide. Won possession and 50/50 balls there. Much better defense collapsing the middle, getting 2 and 3 defenders up top in the defensive third.

………….

Raphino started getting revved up a bit but again. she was well contained by group defending. But eventually she would get one. 

………….

Offensively, SLU worked some triangles. good target passes, lay offs and diagonal balls to the corners. Brown’s back 3 were as good as discussed pregame and they cover a lot of ground. Allen held her ground as her side was more of a target.

…………:

24th minute, set piece corner goal called back against SLU. It was the same near post corner play for Stram who also scored on that play at Utah State. SLU either won a ton of corners or they were able to get some dangerous service.

……………..

34th minute Larson wins a set piece with her speed on the side of the box, cross cleared and Sawyer shot blocked. Would like to see her keep her feet more and stay strong on the ball. That was better for her in this game. 

SLU mostly worked the left side of Brown’s defense both halves going away from Cardoza who is very solid at right back. 

………………

2nd half.

Brown was slowly able to send some long balls down the left wing flicked on for Raphino. And her size and speed is difficult to contain 1v1 in space. SLU did a good job with it most of the game.

SLU also did well containing Okonye’s many downhill runs. She’s going to be a very good player. 

……………..

SLU was earning several corners, getting some just wide and just over the goal finishes, just before the Brown goal. 

SLU los possession in the offensive third and DePriest looked up and took a long ball chance down the middle and she curled a good one over the top of Heckel and Stram. Raphino power and speed split rhe defense and she walked in alone for the finish. Super simple quick little play. It was a tough one as SLU was in good position to get one more to put the game away. 

………….

72nd minute showed how quick Raphino can change a game. Forced a Miller turnover and suoer quick short run. Shoots a rocket from distance off of the top of the bar. Super dangerous player at any time in multiple ways.

…………...

77th minute. Gaebe had an excellent chance in alone from the left wing, strong diagonal run, walked around Shell, but Gagne had a game saving kick save extension on Gaebe’s left footed blast  from 7 yards out to keep it 1-1. 

……………

79th minute. SLU forced a midfield turnover again. Gaebe made a right side run and centered for Sawyer too of the box one timed just past the far post. 

…………..

84th minute. SLU kept pressuring Kelly out wide for a Sawyer run with service back to Kelly. Clear but ball put back into the box and a good 15 yard shot was saved in the corner. 

……………

SLU still needs just a little more efficiency, to connect the final passes better within the final 30, especially in transition. Eventually more and more of the chances will go in against the top teams if the quantity and quality keep coming. There were a few more goals to be had that were left out there the past few games against the better teams.  

…………….

I thought it was SLU’s best effort this season so far in any game. Really improved in several areas. Strong 90 minutes.

……………

HoosierPal and CenHudDude like this