Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, jweste216 said:

It's always about next year.  Next year the A-10 will be strong again.

We made the tourney last year! And we will    Be even stronger next year than the rest of the A10

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the game on TV synced up with Rammer and Earl. Twice, in the background, after a bad pass/error you could hear Coach Ford loudly state "Get him out of there".  First time Jacobs immediately left.  Second time Collins left.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

I had the game on TV synced up with Rammer and Earl. Twice, in the background, after a bad pass/error you could hear Coach Ford loudly state "Get him out of there".  First time Jacobs immediately left.  Second time Collins left.

always wanted to try this.... was there a delay? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wgstl said:

What I said the other day was that his flaw is in game coaching.  You replied with a sarcastic measure and told me that I need to point out how, which I was never going to waste my time with. If you watched the 2nd half, there were quite a few to choose from. I never said he should be fired. Hell, i'm one of his biggest fans. But to point out he has issues with in-game coaching, and then you getting snippy about it(no clue why) is funny to me.  Thats all. 

In game coaching but no specifics?  no examples? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

In game coaching but no specifics?  no examples? 

30 minutes for Tay Weaver last night was a mistake. Leaving French in to get fouled twice late in the game was a mistake.  These were obvious to everyone as the game was going on. It was clear Tay was sloppy last night and wasn't hitting his shots. Perkins should've had more than 30 minutes as well. We got 1 point on the two possessions where French got intentionally fouled. Can't have that especially when our offense was pretty good last night. 

Ford still is doing a good job with program, but he's definitely made some mistakes.

The fact that we couldn't come up with any sort of defensive gameplan to slow down Mitchell twice this year (along with Weathers x 2, Croswell also) is an indictment of the coaching staff's ability to adapt. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

We are a good team, but not an at large tournament team. We are still two players away from that. We will get an NIT bid, if we can’t win the conference tournament. Ford still has the program headed in the right direction.

Those two players names are Fred and Gibson.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

Perkins may be the best scorer in the whole league.

He's been outstanding.  The best scorer in the league is the kid who beat us last night.  Tre Mitchell is averaging 20 ppg in conference on 50% from the field despite being the #1 concern on every team's scouting report.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

always wanted to try this.... was there a delay? 

Yes there is a small delay but I can delay either the TV feed or the radio feed (I use the Tunein App) as needed to sync it up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, jweste216 said:

It's always about next year.  Next year the A-10 will be strong again.

Except most logical thinkers on this board said that this year would be a slightly down year given that we were losing Bess and Isabelle (a huge chunk of our scoring last year) and that we would be relying heavily on underclassmen.  That prediction was correct.  Those same folks said that next year would be much better and that our expectations for something more should be saved until next season.

R&G wasn't being a perennial next year is our year guy.  He was just being consistent with what many of us were saying before this season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

He's been outstanding.  The best scorer in the league is the kid who beat us last night.  Tre Mitchell is averaging 20 ppg in conference on 50% from the field despite being the #1 concern on every team's scouting report.

FWIW - Perkins has a true shooting % of 57.2% in conference play vs Mitchell's 57.0%. Mitchell has a higher 2 pt FG% but Perkins is better from the FT line and 3pt line. They're essentially the same scoring wise, Mitchell just shoots 2 more shots per game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

The fact that we couldn't come up with any sort of defensive gameplan to slow down Mitchell twice this year (along with Weathers x 2, Croswell also) is an indictment of the coaching staff's ability to adapt. 

I agree with you somewhat, but foul trouble for French and Bell played a big factor in Mitchell going off last night.  I thought Bell did a pretty fantastic job on him when he was in the game and didn't have 4 fouls.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

30 minutes for Tay Weaver last night was a mistake. Leaving French in to get fouled twice late in the game was a mistake.  These were obvious to everyone as the game was going on. It was clear Tay was sloppy last night and wasn't hitting his shots. Perkins should've had more than 30 minutes as well. We got 1 point on the two possessions because where French got fouled. Can't have that. 

Ford still is doing a good job with program, but he's definitely made some mistakes. 

Yes.   None of which is why we lost the game.   Tay missed a wide open 3 pointer while we were down 2 - I have no problem with that.   And Tay played as much as he did in large part b/c Jacobs also did not have his best game - though Jacobs still scored 10 points.  As to French, we had to play him b/c no one could stop Tre Mitchell and Bell did not play well.   30 minutes from Perkins is also not why we lost the game.   But bad results on the floor does not equal poor "in game" coaching. 

In game coaching includes preparation we clearly came ready to play.  Also, we shot the ball well in the first half and had a lead for most of the first half (and most of the game).   When our team came out of the locker room after halftime, we looked sharp and increased our lead.   When our team comes out of the huddle after a time out, we seem to have a purpose and success on the inbound play.   Coach Ford also seems to take timeouts when needed.   As you may recall, Jim Crews never called a timeout, Jim Crews had no inbound plays, Jim Crews made no adjustments at halftime - I see none of this with Ford..

At the end of the game, Tay missed the 3 pointer and Perkins missed the front of the 1 and 1. But our defense was terrible - we let Mitchell do what he wanted.  Also, they shot well from the perimeter and we did not.   Without Goodwin and Perkins, we get blown out by 25 points.

Again, the reason we lost is that Yuri had only 2 points -- simply not acceptable.   Tay Weaver did not have his best game but at least he score 3 more than Yuri.   And Bell took 1 shot and had no points -- no one should have 0 points if they play 21 minutes. And French had 2 baskets all night scoring only 5 points - again not acceptable.

But go ahead and blame Coach Ford for his bad "in game"coaching in the second half but I assume (using your same logic) that Coach Ford gets high marks for his "in game" coaching of the first half.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

French has just totally disappointed. Im hoping he’s been hurt and not just regressed so much.

I think he’s suffering from the constant “big man discrimination” he has to deal with night after night. He gets called for more touch fouls, or assumed touches, than any player I’ve ever seen. You can see the frustration when these nothing fouls are called on him. He’s trying so hard not to commit fouls that it’s locked him up on the offensive end. 

He’s so concerned about getting called for charging that he’s reluctant to drive. Since that’s the only way he can score, the only thing he can do is try to find an open player somewhere.

The mystery to me is that lack of development of a pull up jumper, even just 6-8’ out. He’s one guy who probably should forgo some of the off season conditioning as he’s a beast just as he is. Instead, he should focus on increasing his ability to score in different ways.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

We made the tourney last year! And we will    Be even stronger next year than the rest of the A10

Next year the Dukies will be back, as will Richmond and probably VCU. St Joes will be stronger with the kids growing up and Daly back plus funk back. Umass will be a problem.  Davidson and Rhody and Dayton will all take steps back but obviously people can fill their shoes.  Who knows about the bonnies

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Yes.   None of which is why we lost the game.   Tay missed a wide open 3 pointer while we were down 2 - I have no problem with that.   And Tay played as much as he did in large part b/c Jacobs also did not have his best game - though Jacobs still scored 10 points.  As to French, we had to play him b/c no one could stop Tre Mitchell and Bell did not play well.   30 minutes from Perkins is also not why we lost the game.   But bad results on the floor does not equal poor "in game" coaching. 

In game coaching includes preparation we clearly came ready to play.  Also, we shot the ball well in the first half and had a lead for most of the first half (and most of the game).   When our team came out of the locker room after halftime, we looked sharp and increased our lead.   When our team comes out of the huddle after a time out, we seem to have a purpose and success on the inbound play.   Coach Ford also seems to take timeouts when needed.   As you may recall, Jim Crews never called a timeout, Jim Crews had no inbound plays, Jim Crews made no adjustments at halftime - I see none of this with Ford..

At the end of the game, Tay missed the 3 pointer and Perkins missed the front of the 1 and 1. But our defense was terrible - we let Mitchell do what he wanted.  Also, they shot well from the perimeter and we did not.   Without Goodwin and Perkins, we get blown out by 25 points.

Again, the reason we lost is that Yuri had only 2 points -- simply not acceptable.   Tay Weaver did not have his best game but at least he score 3 more than Yuri.   And Bell took 1 shot and had no points -- no one should have 0 points if they play 21 minutes. And French had 2 baskets all night scoring only 5 points - again not acceptable.

But go ahead and blame Coach Ford for his bad "in game"coaching in the second half but I assume (using your same logic) that Coach Ford gets high marks for his "in game" coaching of the first half.   

- Jacobs was pretty solid last night. How weaver got 7 more minutes is confusing. Jacobs is the better defender and has been the better 3 point shooter over the last few months. Yesterday wasn't a disappearing act from him.

- Perkins should absolutely have played more than 75% of the game. 5 more minutes from Perkins would've been 7-8 more possessions with perkins probably getting a few more shots. 

- the fact that our bigs can't really defend 1 on 1 is the major problem, agreed. However, this is not a new problem for this team. It's been happening all conference play. IMO, French and Bell need to be less aggressive in trying to alter shots, and more so focus on forcing tough shots. 

- Yes I would say Ford and the team get high marks for the first half. We kept Mitchell in check and were moving the ball around so much better in the first half. Then UMass changed their plan of attack and we couldn't adapt. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

- Jacobs was pretty solid last night. How weaver got 7 more minutes is confusing. Jacobs is the better defender and has been the better 3 point shooter over the last few months. Yesterday wasn't a disappearing act from him.

- Perkins should absolutely have played more than 75% of the game. 5 more minutes from Perkins would've been 7-8 more possessions with perkins probably getting a few more shots. 

- the fact that our bigs can't really defend 1 on 1 is the major problem, agreed. However, this is not a new problem for this team. It's been happening all conference play. IMO, French and Bell need to be less aggressive in trying to alter shots, and more so focus on forcing tough shots. 

- Yes I would say Ford and the team get high marks for the first half. We kept Mitchell in check and were moving the ball around so much better in the first half. Then UMass changed their plan of attack and we couldn't adapt. 

Jacobs got hit in the face by French I believe. Looked like it might of got him in the eye. He never returned. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Yes.   None of which is why we lost the game.   Tay missed a wide open 3 pointer while we were down 2 - I have no problem with that.   And Tay played as much as he did in large part b/c Jacobs also did not have his best game - though Jacobs still scored 10 points.  As to French, we had to play him b/c no one could stop Tre Mitchell and Bell did not play well.   30 minutes from Perkins is also not why we lost the game.   But bad results on the floor does not equal poor "in game" coaching. 

In game coaching includes preparation we clearly came ready to play.  Also, we shot the ball well in the first half and had a lead for most of the first half (and most of the game).   When our team came out of the locker room after halftime, we looked sharp and increased our lead.   When our team comes out of the huddle after a time out, we seem to have a purpose and success on the inbound play.   Coach Ford also seems to take timeouts when needed.   As you may recall, Jim Crews never called a timeout, Jim Crews had no inbound plays, Jim Crews made no adjustments at halftime - I see none of this with Ford..

At the end of the game, Tay missed the 3 pointer and Perkins missed the front of the 1 and 1. But our defense was terrible - we let Mitchell do what he wanted.  Also, they shot well from the perimeter and we did not.   Without Goodwin and Perkins, we get blown out by 25 points.

Again, the reason we lost is that Yuri had only 2 points -- simply not acceptable.   Tay Weaver did not have his best game but at least he score 3 more than Yuri.   And Bell took 1 shot and had no points -- no one should have 0 points if they play 21 minutes. And French had 2 baskets all night scoring only 5 points - again not acceptable.

But go ahead and blame Coach Ford for his bad "in game"coaching in the second half but I assume (using your same logic) that Coach Ford gets high marks for his "in game" coaching of the first half.   

Tay played a lot in the 2nd half because Jacobs got shook up in a collision.  Jacobs was having a good game scoring and only had one turnover. Might have been able to help pull this one out but those are the breaks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

I think he’s suffering from the constant “big man discrimination” he has to deal with night after night. He gets called for more touch fouls, or assumed touches, than any player I’ve ever seen. You can see the frustration when these nothing fouls are called on him. He’s trying so hard not to commit fouls that it’s locked him up on the offensive end. 

He’s so concerned about getting called for charging that he’s reluctant to drive. Since that’s the only way he can score, the only thing he can do is try to find an open player somewhere.

The mystery to me is that lack of development of a pull up jumper, even just 6-8’ out. He’s one guy who probably should forgo some of the off season conditioning as he’s a beast just as he is. Instead, he should focus on increasing his ability to score in different ways.

The biggest regret Has will have, IMHO, is that he never developed his offensive game. At all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

- Jacobs was pretty solid last night. How weaver got 7 more minutes is confusing. Jacobs is the better defender and has been the better 3 point shooter over the last few months. Yesterday wasn't a disappearing act from him.

- Perkins should absolutely have played more than 75% of the game. 5 more minutes from Perkins would've been 7-8 more possessions with perkins probably getting a few more shots. 

- the fact that our bigs can't really defend 1 on 1 is the major problem, agreed. However, this is not a new problem for this team. It's been happening all conference play. IMO, French and Bell need to be less aggressive in trying to alter shots, and more so focus on forcing tough shots. 

- Yes I would say Ford and the team get high marks for the first half. We kept Mitchell in check and were moving the ball around so much better in the first half. Then UMass changed their plan of attack and we couldn't adapt. 

I missed the injury as well - but that explains Weaver playing instead of Jacobs.   But still, not alot of options for Coach Ford any longer.

As to your final comment, you are honest about team playing well in the first half - but you and I will just have to agree to disagree.  Coach Ford should not receive credit in the first half or blame in the second half.   The boys simply performed well in the first half and did not perform well in the second half.  As long as the coach has the boys prepared and puts the boys/team in position to succeed, then IMO the coach has done his job.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...