PD Article on French

HoosierPal

43 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-from the article - "I've got great mechanics" when discussing his ft shot, if that belief gets him to make a lot more, then so be it, call me skeptical but extremely hopeful

I don't expect much from his FT's but if he can get 50% that's probably putting him near 12 ppg. 

Before someone corrects my above post, French getting to 50% would only have added 16 pts to his totals last year. I just thought he went to the line a lot more than 106 times. I think all the misses made it feel like more than 3 times a game. Of course the stats don't tell the whole story. Like how many front ends of 1 and 1's did he miss? Please 

19 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I don't expect much from his FT's but if he can get 50% that's probably putting him near 12 ppg. 

Right.  The goal is for French to not be a historically awful FT shooter.  If he can shoot above 50% that's a gigantic improvement. 

At his current career %s, I'd consider fouling him every time he touches the ball if I'm in the bonus.  If I'm doing that math right, excluding 1 and 1 situations the Billikens would average .965 points per possession that French is fouled.  That potentially makes any team in the country a top 50 defense by just fouling French every time.  I'd play super aggressive / physical defense on everyone because I wouldn't be worried about getting into the bonus.  Once I'm in the bonus, I try to make offense and defense substitutions where I can to get walk-on in and just hack French as soon as he touches the ball.  His abysmal FT shooting could be so much more of a liability if teams took more advantage of it.  As it is, I'm sure teams play him more physical because they don't worry about putting him on the line.

Playing at a much faster pace with more possessions and easy baskets, 80 ppg rather than 66 ppg for example, could net French some big numbers. It's not like it's without precedent. Coach Ford's most potent UMass team averaged over 80 ppg.

But that was a squad loaded with experienced starters. We'll be starting at least two newbies or relative newbies. In reality, averaging in the low 70s would be a major accomplishment.