Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
The House That Rick Built

The House That Rick Built Podcast

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, dennis_w said:

If collins doesnt start, who does? jacobs? some freshman will have to play a lot of minutes at the guard spot unless a juco or transfers comes in

We have a G/SF transfer in Javonte Perkins who is a JUCO guy from SWIC to remember too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The House That Rick Built said:

We have a G/SF transfer in Javonte Perkins who is a JUCO guy from SWIC to remember too. 

Thatch, Goodwin, Perkins, Jacobs are the only guards that won't be freshmen as it stands next year.

Collins, Hargrove, Jimerson will all see quite a bit of playing time. We'll still have a lot of Freshmen playing next year and that's actually fine with me. Time to build with freshmen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BillIkenFan_Dan said:

Can Jacobs get a medical redshirt for this year? or has he played too much.

Hes played in 17, the limit is 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wgstl said:

Hes played in 17, the limit is 12

Wish they went on lack of stats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Do you think that's asking for a lot out of a spring recruiting class? It's generally unusual to recruit a freshman who can come in and play right away, I'm not sure I get the obsession(I can't think of a better term) with bringing in players that HAVE to make big contributions as freshmen. Don't get me wrong, it would be awesome, I just don't think it's something we should expect most of the time and definitely not out of a spring signing. In my mind I think Perkins, Collins and Hargrove all have the ability to relegate Goodwin to first off the bench.

Why not set high expectations?

GloryDays told me Zion Williamson is transferring to SLU next season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

Why not set high expectations?

GloryDays told me Zion Williamson is transferring to SLU next season. 

High or unreasonable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

High or unreasonable?

You are wordsmithing.  Perhaps we have differenet standards.  What is high for me, unreasonable for you.  I want the best (NCAA compliant) team possible.  Keep recruiting at the highest level.  Pick up that diamond in the rough who blew up his senior season.  Coaches are getting fired.  There are a number of decommits coming up.  Grab the best one of them.  There are bunch of transfers coming up.  Evaluate them and cherry pick the best.  There are Graduate Transfers coming.  See if one fits our system.  Always opportunities.  High for me, unreasonable for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CBFan said:

Honest question what makes you feel this way?

My opinion is that I hope both stay they will be a big part of the team next season and I would think both would feel that way.

With so many new members next season if both of these guys have great summers and stay healthy could start or get a lot of playing time.

When I look at next season I see French, Goodwin and Perkins as starters the other positions is wide open for Jacobs and KC.

I watched Collins over the weekend and he moves the ball up court really well and found the open guys by the basket but is he ready to start as a freshman?

Basically the players are often told to keep up on social media with the incoming recruits and tweet at them and respond and are highly encouraged to. The 2 players who I suspected have nothing, even though they are moderately active on Twitter. 

Some of you mbm’s can laugh now but I have a feeling I’ll have the last laugh on this 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's objectively unreasonable to expect us to find a player in the spring that can come in and play right away. Would I love it if we get a great transfer, absolutely. Guys like Tramaine Isabell don't just fall out of the sky.

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

You are wordsmithing.  Who cares?  High for me, unreasonable for you.  I want the best (NCAA compliant) team possible.  Keep recruiting at the highest level.  Pick up that diamond in the rough who blew up his senior season.  Coaches are getting fired.  There are a number of decommits coming up.  Grab the best one of them.  There are bunch of transfers coming up.  Evaluate them and cherry pick the best.  There are Graduate Transfers coming.  See if one fits our system.  Always opportunities.  High for me, unreasonable for you?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Basically the players are often told to keep up on social media with the incoming recruits and tweet at them and respond and are highly encouraged to. The 2 players who I suspected have nothing, even though they are moderately active on Twitter. 

Some of you mbm’s can laugh now but I have a feeling I’ll have the last laugh on this 

So it is funny when a player transfers?  This is all about you, isn't it.  How old are you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Basically the players are often told to keep up on social media with the incoming recruits and tweet at them and respond and are highly encouraged to. The 2 players who I suspected have nothing, even though they are moderately active on Twitter. 

Some of you mbm’s can laugh now but I have a feeling I’ll have the last laugh on this 

You are aware that some people don't like social media right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

It's objectively unreasonable to expect us to find a player in the spring that can come in and play right away. Would I love it if we get a great transfer, absolutely. Guys like Tramaine Isabell don't just fall out of the sky.

 

You are discounting Isabell, yet you aren't?  Confusing.  He came in and played right away. 

We can agree to disagree.  High standards for me, unreasonable standards to you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Basically the players are often told to keep up on social media with the incoming recruits and tweet at them and respond and are highly encouraged to. The 2 players who I suspected have nothing, even though they are moderately active on Twitter. 

Some of you mbm’s can laugh now but I have a feeling I’ll have the last laugh on this 

i dont think any college athlete is encouraged to participate in social media.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

You are discounting Isabell, yet you aren't?  Confusing.  He came in and played right away. 

We can agree to disagree.  High standards for me, unreasonable standards to you. 

I literally mentioned isabell in my post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i dont think any college athlete is encouraged to participate in social media.   

That's the only thing GloryRavs got right. They are instructed on and encouraged to use social media in a responsible and positive way. It can be important for their personal brand when it comes to graduation, especially if they plan to play professionally or work professionally in the game of basketball. There was an entire segment of the ESPN+ Duke documentary series where the freshmen met with a member of Dukes social media team who advised on how best to use twitter/instagram  to build their profile/brand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Isnt Jimerson a guard?

Jimerson is 6' 6" so if not a forward then a wing but I am not a basketball expert just a fan and I will look to the board to define what the proper position is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys like Isabel do fall from the sky 05, it’s just that we aren’t expected to sign any of them until Isabel this year. 

Teams like Kansas, Duke, Kentucky know that they can always grab a solid grad transfer after April if they have a low roster because some players always had those as dream schools.

trust me if we look at last years pick ups, there was plenty of top talent to pick up. 

Shame Reynolds didn’t come back to SLU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Jimerson is 6' 6" so if not a forward then a wing but I am not a basketball expert just a fan and I will look to the board to define what the proper position is.

Magic Johnson was 6-9 and a guard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dennis_w said:

If collins doesnt start, who does? jacobs? some freshman will have to play a lot of minutes at the guard spot unless a juco or transfers comes in

Just my opinion my thinking is that Jacobs would start if he is ready.  I would prefer Yuri coming off the bench to ease into the college game but if Jacobs is not ready then Yuri is the next man up.  This is why I disagree with Glorydays I think Jacobs has an opportunity to play with a year of experience and I think if he likes the coach and the players why not stay?

It will be fun watching, Yuri bringing it up the floor it gets it to the front court quickly and can really pass well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Magic Johnson was 6-9 and a guard.

Fair enough quality, Hardaway was 6' 7" and a very good guard too.

All that I have seen from Jimerson is his height and outstanding shooting and never noticed his position he will be a sniper that needs just a small crack to nail threes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

You are wordsmithing.  Perhaps we have differenet standards.  What is high for me, unreasonable for you.  I want the best (NCAA compliant) team possible.  Keep recruiting at the highest level.  Pick up that diamond in the rough who blew up his senior season.  Coaches are getting fired.  There are a number of decommits coming up.  Grab the best one of them.  There are bunch of transfers coming up.  Evaluate them and cherry pick the best.  There are Graduate Transfers coming.  See if one fits our system.  Always opportunities.  High for me, unreasonable for you?

I would say it's pretty unreasonable to use Zion Williamson as your example to begin this. Had you said someone like Isabell which came up later, I would consider that a reasonably high expectation. Saying we should want to get Zion is just ludicrous, not because we wouldn't love to have him, but because we'd rather build a team of 4 year guys that develop into great players because they would actually take our call. The issue with looking for these transfers and the high level players that you are talking about is the possibility that you overlook or undervalue guys who can develop into good/great players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Guys like Isabel do fall from the sky 05, it’s just that we aren’t expected to sign any of them until Isabel this year. 

Teams like Kansas, Duke, Kentucky know that they can always grab a solid grad transfer after April if they have a low roster because some players always had those as dream schools.

trust me if we look at last years pick ups, there was plenty of top talent to pick up. 

Shame Reynolds didn’t come back to SLU

Interesting thing with this conversation about recruiting is the fact that I've always heard people speak on Travis Ford as a great recruiter, so why couldn't he recruit some big transfer names. And while I think we could all agree he has gotten some good transfers,  I bet we would love to see another upperclassmen come in to solidify our roster along with adding depth so we can stop talking about SLU being short handed every year. Are we expecting too much out of Travis Ford? Is he underperforming? Have to again remember Bess, Foreman, and Isabell all were transfers who turned out to be great, or at least Bess and Isabell of late have been great. 

 

Where would you guys rate Travis Ford's recruiting thus far in his tenure with SLU?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...