Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, BillIkenFan_Dan said:

practice starts tomorrow 

Practice may begin tomorrow. But the season begins today. So come today, the school and the AD need to make a decision about these players being on the roster or not due to the investigation. 

Just now, prebilliken said:

Practice may begin tomorrow. But the season begins today. So come today, the school and the AD need to make a decision about these players being on the roster or not due to the investigation. 

I can't see any scenario where these players aren't on the roster as of today. I would expect them to practice tomorrow but admittedly that's far less certain and more of a guess.

It seems to me the best course of action is to let them practice, while continuing an internal investigation. If you hold them out, then you have drawn attention to them - and IF it turns out they have done nothing that warrants punishment, IMO it wouldn't have been fair to hold them out in the first place.  You can always levy your punishment later, based on the findings of the investigation.

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Maybe that had to do with some people knowing stuff that wasn't public.  

Understood. Even with knowing non-public information don't you think it's fair to wait until the facts (or at least both sides of the story) actually come to light before assigning responsibility to either party? I'm sure some people here have very good insider sources, but to me that doesn't change the fact that we're talking about potential assault victims here and some cautioun and understanding should be shown.

20 minutes ago, NH said:

Understood. Even with knowing non-public information don't you think it's fair to wait until the facts (or at least both sides of the story) actually come to light before assigning responsibility to either party? I'm sure some people here have very good insider sources, but to me that doesn't change the fact that we're talking about potential assault victims here and some cautioun and understanding should be shown.

That is fine, but to be sure pretty much everyone knows who the 4 players are and almost none of us actually know who the women are. To me they are just 3 faceless, nameless people. Their names may never be known, whereas the players will, in all likelihood, eventually have their names released. To me, that changes the calculus a bit on how harmed one is by making statements on either side of the argument without full knowledge of the facts. Put differently, if someone accuses the players of something and they are wrong, it's something those individuals have to deal with forever (see Kwamain google search). If someone accuses the girls of lying, it's not like it really affects them at all.

JMM28 and brianstl like this

5 minutes ago, kshoe said:

That is fine, but to be sure pretty much everyone knows who the 4 players are and almost none of us actually know who the women are. To me they are just 3 faceless, nameless people. Their names may never be known, whereas the players will, in all likelihood, eventually have their names released. To me, that changes the calculus a bit on how harmed one is by making statements on either side of the argument without full knowledge of the facts. Put differently, if someone accuses the players of something and they are wrong, it's something those individuals have to deal with forever (see Kwamain google search). If someone accuses the girls of lying, it's not like it really affects them at all.

What is the alternative? A system where if you make an accusation that's proven incorrect you're punished? That seems somewhat fair, but also difficult if you truly feel as though you've been sexually assaulted. Those who feel victimized should feel comfortable reporting it to the police and/or school authorities. Those who are accused should also feel comfortable that they will be treated fairly and justly and that if they are innocent that will be proven out.

I'm not trying to antagonize. I hear the points from you, BrianSTL and others are making.

38 minutes ago, FromDaEastSide said:

Frank had Strickland and Tuna on for his Friday roundtable - segment 6 is about SLU that starts at the 4:20 mark ;). No new info that hasn't already been posted.

http://insidestl.com/the-press-box-seg-6-slu-slop/2007394

Yeah everything they mention about the case is consistent with what has been posted here.  Rape/sexual assault is off the table but invasion of privacy could be an issue with the video and subsequently sharing it on snapchat

13 minutes ago, NH said:

What is the alternative? A system where if you make an accusation that's proven incorrect you're punished? That seems somewhat fair, but also difficult if you truly feel as though you've been sexually assaulted. Those who feel victimized should feel comfortable reporting it to the police and/or school authorities. Those who are accused should also feel comfortable that they will be treated fairly and justly and that if they are innocent that will be proven out.

I'm not trying to antagonize. I hear the points from you, BrianSTL and others are making.

I haven't said anything about punishing women. Rather, I'm just talking about message board interactions and why uninformed people speculating about the unnamed women isn't necessarily worse than uninformed speculation about the players that we all know who they are.  

4 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I haven't said anything about punishing women. Rather, I'm just talking about message board interactions and why uninformed people speculating about the unnamed women isn't necessarily worse than uninformed speculation about the players that we all know who they are.  

I certainly didn't say that you had. And fair enough. 

39 minutes ago, kshoe said:

If someone accuses the girls of lying, it's not like it really affects them at all.

This is just totally untrue. The reactions people get when they report sex offenses absolutely affect them and affects other, even if names are never released. People use "innocent until proven guilty" outside of criminal litigation as an excuse to presume the accusers are lying and as an excuse to put the burden of proof on the victims to prove their story. Despite the sentiment in this thread that the "pendulum has swung too far" to the side of helping rape victims, there is still a problem with people not reporting these kinds of things, and this is one of the biggest reasons why.

I believe that false accusations are a form of slander and therefore are subject to civil action to recover damages.

We all must keep in mind that the issue of being guilty or not of anything that is found is the portion of this event that may go or may not go to trial in a criminal court. As long as the lawyers remain involved the possibility of charges and trial is not over, whatever the press or the lawyer statements may say. Even if the players are cleared up by being found innocent in trial or by the charges being dropped, they still have to face the University's disciplinary action in this case. This is not a Kangaroo court, it is indeed no court at all. The University will respond to this event in a way that fits their rules of conduct required from every student. This has nothing to do with lawyers or with courts of justice, or with laws. The whole issue will take a fair amount of time to clear up at all levels.

3 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I'm not in any way justifying the action of sharing the video but if the players are punished for solely that, there are going to be a lot of SLU students punished in the near future for sharing inappropriate content from drunken nights 

I don't have Snapchat. It's always sounded pretty dumb to me. If this season gets derailed because someone was an idiot on Snapchat, I'm really going to hate Snapchat.

4 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I believe that false accusations are a form of slander and therefore are subject to civil action to recover damages.

Defamation almost never applies to statements made to the police or to people like college administrators. Making a false report to police is a criminal offense, though.

8 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I'm not in any way justifying the action of sharing the video but if the players are punished for solely that, there are going to be a lot of SLU students punished in the near future for sharing inappropriate content from drunken nights 

If what we're assuming here is true, the issue isn't that the content was inappropriate. It's that it was shared without the participants' knowledge. Maybe that's common at SLU these days too. I have no idea, but I won't break out the tiny violins for anyone who gets in trouble for it.

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

"pretty much everyone knows who the 4 players are........." I don't. Maybe one of pretty much everyone can DM me. Curious to know.