Frank Cusumano on Torrence Watson

BIG BILL FAN

3 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Wasn't Frank right about Goodwin and Gordon? Thatch too maybe?

Frank has gotten better since Ford became coach (I think they have a long history for some reason?), but he's typically off the mark. He always thinks SLU is in the hunt, even when SLU isn't. He hinted that SLU was back in on Tilmon when every other source indicated otherwise. 

4 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Frank has gotten better since Ford became coach (I think they have a long history for some reason?), but he's typically off the mark. He always thinks SLU is in the hunt, even when SLU isn't. He hinted that SLU was back in on Tilmon when every other source indicated otherwise. 

Frank also thought Hellems was a real possibility. I tease about the 10% and I agree he's gotten better since Ford got here, but he is the classic excitable fan and always over-values the local team(s) chances. For what its worth he also over values Mizzou's chances with kids, particularly in football.

6 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Frank also thought Hellems was a real possibility. I tease about the 10% and I agree he's gotten better since Ford got here, but he is the classic excitable fan and always over-values the local team(s) chances. For what its worth he also over values Mizzou's chances with kids, particularly in football.

Yea I think Hellems was his biggest misread since Ford has been here.  He thought it would be between SLU and Mizzou and SLU didn't even make his first round of cuts.  I do think it changes if he says he's hearing compared to what he's feeling because he feels the hometown vibe like we all do.  

His Hellems read seemed to be off of Hellems talking about Ford.  

58 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Seems like it is this kinda situation again. I have no inside info on this, it's just my gut talking.

As I recall, Tillmon really liked Groce and, in the end, why he signed w/ UI. I wonder had Mizzery not hired Cuonzo, if we might have been in Tillmon's sights when he de-committed? There were others prior to Tillmon signing with UI who also thought we might have a shot at him.

Has Hellems signed anywhere?

Hellems is different.  During the time of talks between both parties was right before his week of fame.  I do believe he got close to slu thinking he was toward the end as far as offers go. 

2 minutes ago, slu72 said:

As I recall, Tillmon really liked Groce and, in the end, why he signed w/ UI. I wonder had Mizzery not hired Cuonzo, if we might have been in Tillmon's sights when he de-committed? There were others prior to Tillmon signing with UI who also thought we might have a shot at him.

Has Hellems signed anywhere?

Tilmon really liked Walker who Illinois kept on.  That was a strange situation that seemed to have a lot of people in his ear telling him what they thought was best.  I think greater chance he doesn't de-commit if Mizzou didn't hire Cuonzo.  

Hellems hasn't signed anywhere but he can't sign until fall but he hasn't verbally committed yet either.  He did reduce his list to like 5 or 6 and SLU wasn't on it. 

11 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Hellems is different.  During the time of talks between both parties was right before his week of fame.  I do believe he got close to slu thinking he was toward the end as far as offers go. 

I've heard this multiple places - including from you. Something (other than Hellems blowing up) must have happened. If it was that close, you would think SLU would have survived the first round of cuts. 

If I remember correctly Frank was one of the first, if not the first, on Majerus coming here.  I think he was partnered with Kilcoyne at the time and Martin kept telling it wasn't going to happen and Frank saying yes it is.  I like him because he's always optimistic on recruits coming to SLU.