Top 144

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FLA ST, a NCAA team from the ACC last year comes in at #80.  They lost their 3 top scorers with the leading returning scorer being 8.4 pt/gm last year.  They are projected to have 2 FR starters.

The A-10 will now have 6 teams in the top 79 yet to be named and I expect that no A-10 team will be in the top 30, meaning 6 teams in the 31-79 group.

Since this site projects a starting five for each team, I wonder who they will show when the Billikens are discussed.  I would guess Foreman, Johnson, Bess, AD and Goodwin will be their projected 5.  As I've said for a few weeks, Bills at 76, although that might not be high enough if this site is paying any attention to other writers who focus more on East Coast leagues/teams.

3 hours ago, bauman said:

FLA ST, a NCAA team from the ACC last year comes in at #80.  They lost their 3 top scorers with the leading returning scorer being 8.4 pt/gm last year.  They are projected to have 2 FR starters.

The A-10 will now have 6 teams in the top 79 yet to be named and I expect that no A-10 team will be in the top 30, meaning 6 teams in the 31-79 group.

Since this site projects a starting five for each team, I wonder who they will show when the Billikens are discussed.  I would guess Foreman, Johnson, Bess, AD and Goodwin will be their projected 5.  As I've said for a few weeks, Bills at 76, although that might not be high enough if this site is paying any attention to other writers who focus more on East Coast leagues/teams.

Please explain how you seem to know that the A10 will have 6 teams in the top 79?

3 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Please explain how you seem to know that the A10 will have 6 teams in the top 79?

Davidson was the last team to show up in the top 144 at 84.  In their preview Davidson is ranked as the 7th best team in the conference . That means 6 more A10 teams to go in the rankings.

11 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Davidson was the last team to show up in the top 144 at 84.  In their preview Davidson is ranked as the 7th best team in the conference . That means 6 more A10 teams to go in the rankings.

I don't normally look into these deep rankings often, but I have to think having 7 teams in the top 84, especially for the A10 is very very good, correct?

41 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Doesn't that assume that the person doing the 144 rankings agrees with those who did the A10 rankings?  Not sure that your logic is very sound - perhaps possible but not necessarily so.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Doesn't that assume that the person doing the 144 rankings agrees with those who did the A10 rankings?  Not sure that your logic is very sound - perhaps possible but not necessarily so.

That is the way they do it.  Each conference has X # of teams in the entire list of 144.  The lowest rated team to appear in the list of 144 is the lowest team that will appear in the list, and it is assigned a number, for example, Lasalle is the lowest team to be included in the top 144 list and it is shown to be 9th in the conference.  That #9 is merely a product of the rank they give to the team (Lasalle) in the A-10.  The ACC will have 13 teams in the list, because the # 105 school is an ACC school and is shown as the 13th best team in that conference.

1 hour ago, bauman said:

That is the way they do it.  Each conference has X # of teams in the entire list of 144.  The lowest rated team to appear in the list of 144 is the lowest team that will appear in the list, and it is assigned a number, for example, Lasalle is the lowest team to be included in the top 144 list and it is shown to be 9th in the conference.  That #9 is merely a product of the rank they give to the team (Lasalle) in the A-10.  The ACC will have 13 teams in the list, because the # 105 school is an ACC school and is shown as the 13th best team in that conference.

Interesting - thanks for explaining.

Many of you probably noticed this, Lunardi's recent brackets predictions:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

It has only 2 teams in and one has to go through a play-in game. This could be the worse season the A10 has had since we joined in 2005 (I always say the best was 12-13 season, not because we won it but it was the strongest top-bottom).

A lot of the national sports writers probably have no clue on what's going on at SLU with the transfers, incoming freshmen and incremental improvement the latter part of the season. Some of one's, like Jon Rothstein & A10 Talk, more familiar with A10 have us in the top 1/3rd of the conference standings.   

2 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

It has only 2 teams in and one has to go through a play-in game. This could be the worse season the A10 has had since we joined in 2005 (I always say the best was 12-13 season, not because we won it but it was the strongest top-bottom).

A lot of the national sports writers probably have no clue on what's going on at SLU with the transfers, incoming freshmen and incremental improvement the latter part of the season. Some of one's, like Jon Rothstein & A10 Talk, more familiar with A10 have us in the top 1/3rd of the conference standings.   

Idk why but as a slu fan, the bonnies vs mizzou sounds like a hilariously entertaining game to watch

11 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Idk why but as a slu fan, the bonnies vs mizzou sounds like a hilariously entertaining game to watch

I think Lunardi is asleep at the wheel when it comes to Mizzou. I can't stand them but they've got to be a top 20 team net year with all that talent. If not, Mr. Integrity isn't much of a coach.

33 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I think Lunardi is asleep at the wheel when it comes to Mizzou. I can't stand them but they've got to be a top 20 team net year with all that talent. If not, Mr. Integrity isn't much of a coach.

Correct.  I would think 3-5 seed. 

54 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I think a lot of people remember the Cal team a couple of seasons ago.  That team added two top 10 recruits to roster that already had Jabari Bird, Jordan Mathews and Tyrone Wallace.  That is four NBA draft picks and another guy who scored 1,600 points in his career.  Bird and Wallace missed the NCAA game, but that team never was at any point in that season what it should have been. They were 5-11 in road/neutral site games.  Their best road win was against against a UW team that Pomeroy ranked 66.

7 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

He has Va Tech, our NY opponent as a 7 seed.  I wonder where he will have them after they lose to SLU.

Boy if league gets any worse than last year not a good thing at all. Stay bad long enough we'll be slipping onto 1 bid conference land. I thought last year was low water mark for league and that others were in same shape as us, looking bright this year and next. If A-10 as bad as last season I can't imagine not finishing 500 or better in league.

21 hours ago, almaman said:

Boy if league gets any worse than last year not a good thing at all. Stay bad long enough we'll be slipping onto 1 bid conference land. I thought last year was low water mark for league and that others were in same shape as us, looking bright this year and next. If A-10 as bad as last season I can't imagine not finishing 500 or better in league.

Last year the league was not good but it still got 3 teams in the dance. Let's not act like it was complete garbage.

21 hours ago, almaman said:

.500?  Really, with the A-10 "as bad as last year." ???

What concerns me most about the A10 are the loss of good coaches, ie Miller and Wade. However, I do trust in both UD and VCU to get the best guys available for a high mid major league. Hopefully, the new guys they have work out for both programs. As for some other A10 programs, I do get the feeling they are not making the commitment to bring in the best they can get. URI, St.B's, Davidson, Richmond, and SLU appear to have hired the best they can get for a high mid major conference, but the other schools in the league need to make similar investments.

I was kind of surprised at Lunardi's projections for the A10 getting only two teams in the dance, as, in the past, he's typically been a promoter of the conference. However, it's kind of difficult to argue with him given all the unknowns with the high HC turnover rate the league experienced last season. As for SLU, a lot of these analysts are probably scratching their heads over us as there is little or no history to go on with our current roster.

Today's addition to the top 144 list is the #77 ranked team, and it should be of particular interest to Billiken fans.  It is our 2-year West Coast playing partner, Oregon State.  The write-up makes for interesting reading-they are a very young team, with the main positive being that they are getting their star player back from an almost entire season ending injury.

Maybe more interesting is the fact that they had an overall record of 5-27 last year; 1-17 in PAC 12 play.  So it appears that the Top 144 editors do look beyond last year's record.

It's definitely getting interesting for whether we get named or ignored. If, as Bauman points out, the guy sticks to his conference rankings we could be coming up in the near future, or maybe not. Although, it's hard for me to understand how we'd be rated lower than both GMU and LaSalle in the conference. Since this guy is giving OSU so much credit for their incoming recruits, you'd expect he'd do the same for SLU with Goodwin and French coming on board.