Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are or should all be aware that most of the ones and dones have traditionally gone to a very limited number of schools like Duke, KU, etc... It is plainly not reasonable for anyone that is not very close to be a one and done to pretend to go to one of those schools and become a star player for their team. Oh, it may happen I suppose, but the odds are against it happening. The big question here is: does Markese understand this?, does he realize that failing to grow as expected limits his eligibility for the NBA? Can he accept this? Perhaps we should label  this delusional state of mind as "Pearson's Folly."

7 minutes ago, Old guy said:

We are or should all be aware that most of the ones and dones have traditionally gone to a very limited number of schools like Duke, KU, etc... It is plainly not reasonable for anyone that is not very close to be a one and done to pretend to go to one of those schools and become a star player for their team. Oh, it may happen I suppose, but the odds are against it happening. The big question here is: does Markese understand this?, does he realize that failing to grow as expected limits his eligibility for the NBA? Can he accept this? Perhaps we should label  this delusional state of mind as "Pearson's Folly."

oold guy judging from the limited video exposure i have seen, markese indeed is a good player.   however you seem to be insinuating he is a one and done player.   i dont think he is that good.   and i would forsee a likely four year star player.   if any college coach is filling his head with lottery dreams in a year, they are lying to him imo.  

19 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I am not indicating Markese is a one and done, but I think he may well believe he is one. This is "Pearson's Folly" as well.  Of course Mike Pearson is also a good player but not a one and done, whatever he or his family believes the truth to be.

if markese did believe that, you can bet that was knocked around when kansas recruited over him.  he is available likely because kansas told him he wasnt good enough for them any longer or at least his role was going to be greatly diminshed.

Thought it was interesting that the Crystal Ball for Markese had two pretty quick changes to DePaul after he reopened his commitment including Derek Piper, the Illinois guy.  Obviously those don't mean much but an interesting development with them both visiting Illinois at the same time now.  Would like to see something official that we offered.  

19 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Thought it was interesting that the Crystal Ball for Markese had two pretty quick changes to DePaul after he reopened his commitment including Derek Piper, the Illinois guy.  Obviously those don't mean much but an interesting development with them both visiting Illinois at the same time now.  Would like to see something official that we offered.  

depaul is starting to pull in some good talent.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Tre Mann committed to Florida. Part of the narrative from KU around Jacobs' decommitment was that they were about to get a campus visit from Mann and were in good shape with him. I'm not sure yet how this will impact Jacobs, but it's an interesting development.

KU is one of eight finalists for Cole Anthony, but nothing indicates they're a favorite of that bunch, just one of eight.

Isaac McBride is down to KU, TCU, Tennessee, and Auburn. He's the other PG offer they've currently got out. I'm not sure if they're pursuing anyone else. He seems like a distant back-up plan to Anthony (and is a lower-rated prospect than Jacobs).

I think the false narrative is KU is a one and done type of school.  Sure they have them but when was the last time that kid was the best on the team?  You would have to go back to the Andrew Wiggin Joel Embiid team.  

While Grimes maybe the first pick in the draft, the belief is that Dotson and Moore will be around for a few years.  If you're Tre Mann, sitting on the bench doesn't appeal to you.  

Jocobs just didn't get taller which would make it hard to play in the Big 12.  

1 hour ago, TJHawk said:

I think the false narrative is KU is a one and done type of school.  Sure they have them but when was the last time that kid was the best on the team?  You would have to go back to the Andrew Wiggin Joel Embiid team.  

While Grimes maybe the first pick in the draft, the belief is that Dotson and Moore will be around for a few years.  If you're Tre Mann, sitting on the bench doesn't appeal to you.  

Jocobs just didn't get taller which would make it hard to play in the Big 12.  

Agreed. Every year I watch Kansas and every year I say to myself, "Whoa, _______ is still on their team?? And they're usually the most important player on the court for Kansas. " Frank Mason, Perry Ellis, Sherron Collins to name a few.

My brother-in-law is a KC guy and huge Kansas fan, the amusement from watching a grown man yell nicknames at the players of the college program he is a fan of is a pure delight (especially when they lose and he is in a terrible mood for a few days). I do think Kansas signs free agents (I mean, recruits kids) at the right level to win at an elite level year after year and while they get one and done kids, they don't build their team around them. They have a loaded roster this season (I guess I don't need to clarify this season).

2 hours ago, Bills_06 said:

Jacobs no longer/was never visiting Illinois on 22nd

Pistol likes this

15 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

2 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Has SLU offer 

Good stuff, thanks.

Reeves also just got an offer from Detroit yesterday. Not that it changes much, but we're seeing some activity around him after a couple quiet months.

2 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I don't know what is my favorite part, that is was actually Jacobs that tweeted at the account that said it saying it was false or that it was Illinois, the fan base that seems to just make things up when it comes to recruits.  

TheChosenOne likes this

8 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

I don't know what is my favorite part, that is was actually Jacobs that tweeted at the account that said it saying it was false or that it was Illinois, the fan base that seems to just make things up when it comes to recruits.  

I do love this tweet.

So what will be the Illini talking points when they miss out on Markese?  Will they claim they backed off?  Grade problem?  Will Roy Schmidt suffer spontaneous combustion?

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

I do love this tweet.

So what will be the Illini talking points when they miss out on Markese?  Will they claim they backed off?  Grade problem?  Will Roy Schmidt suffer spontaneous combustion?

They already disparaged his brother about allegeded grade issues, so I imagine they will do the same with him.

2 hours ago, ChangeOfPace said:

They already disparaged his brother about allegeded grade issues, so I imagine they will do the same with him.

I wonder if Markese is aware of the things Illini fans said about his brother. Really sad things for grown men to be saying about a kid. 

4 hours ago, brianstl said:

Illinois fans are preemptively questioning whether he is a fit for Underwood’s system.

11 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Illinois fans are preemptively questioning whether he is a fit for Underwood’s system.

"We haven't had a winning conference record since 2010. Do you think this top 100 recruit will fit our system?"

Fans can be so dumb.