Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

1 hour ago, Glorydays2013 said:

After Jordon, Slu was trying to get both Tilmon and Pickett. Pickett was really close, but Goodwin and Gordon were the only ones drinking the blue koolaid at the time and the others were interested in playing with the Porters 

This makes sense, I had forgotten about our rumored pursuit of Pickett (or at least his interest in SLU) after he parted ways with Illinois. I know Frank also talked about SLU being a favorite for that one and then possibly pulling back (he may have even visited with the coaches after he became available). I wonder how close we were to snagging Tilmon prior to the fall signing period when he ultimately signed with Illinois, Frank was talking a lot and I don't think he would have done so without there being a lot of smoke. Ultimately none of this really matters, but interesting to talk about.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It would be interesting getting the low down on the whole Pickett thing.  The people at Ohio St. seemed to be pretty confident that Pickett wouldn’t be eligible to play at Ohio St. or Mizzou.  That one was strange all around.

Pickett or Watson? The Watson situation is one I would really like to know about, really strange. I heard a number of different rumors.

1 minute ago, TheChosenOne said:

Pickett or Watson? The Watson situation is one I would really like to know about, really strange.

Watson. I agree I'd love to know the story there, especially since Whitfield is a good school so I doubt its academic based.

40 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

There were some odd rumors floating around, but you are right that academics would be kind of strange for a Whitfield kid.

Watson is a guy I really wanted to come to SLU. Think he would have been a good player. I think 3_Star (COME BACK) called it right though - he was never going to play with Thatch. 

EDIT: I will say though - if Thatch's outside game has developed as we have heard - SLU probably got the better all around player. 

3 hours ago, TheOne said:

I mentioned this a while back. SLU actually had a good shot at Tilmon, especially after the Goodwin commitment, but started to back off of him for off-the-court reasons.  They were concerned about his grades, social circles, and his work ethic.

I love having a coach that is so good at recruiting that he can back off of kids that he thinks may have off the court issues.  Too many coaches out there have to take kids that could spell disaster.  Ford doesn't have to and appears to avoid problem signings, for the most part.

24 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I love having a coach that is so good at recruiting that he can back off of kids that he thinks may have off the court issues.  Too many coaches out there have to take kids that could spell disaster.  Ford doesn't have to and appears to avoid problem signings, for the most part.

Removed part that would have taken the discussion somewhere there was no reason for me to take it.

I kind of feel bad for Ramey because from all accounts he is a good teammate and winning type player, but his dad seems to be a bit of sh!t disturber. Hopefully getting away from him a bit will pay off. I have heard Mark Smith's dad is also a problem and someone recently told me McKinney's dad can be a bit of an issue. What is with these parents.

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

I am curious to see how the careers of Tilmon and Gordon play out because both kids had essentially the same red flags (although Gordon's became much more public unfortunately, still not sure why the Webster coach said the things he did) and then when they got to their respective schools the coaches have been quite pleased with their work ethic at least publicly. Two big time talents that I hope we get to see reach their potential. I love the situation that Gordon is walking into at SLU. 

Any red flags Gordon may have had are not "essentially the same" as Tilmon... I'll just leave it at that.

5 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

What do you think caused Coach Blossom to be bitter/jealous? I do know sometimes things happen behind the scenes between high school coaches and their elite players, so I am wondering if there was something in this one. He really threw Gordon under the bus in that article which you seldom see.

I was referring more to people associated with a previous stop of Gordon’s than at Webster.  They were always ready to bad mouth the kid.  

Gordon wasn’t the perfect kid in high school.  Many of us aren’t, but most of us get the advantage of being anonymous to the general public during that time of life.  And we definitely didn’t have to deal with the people associated with an MCC program trashing us constantly.

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I was referring more to people associated with a previous stop of Gordon’s than at Webster.  They were always ready to bad mouth the kid.  

Gordon wasn’t the perfect kid in high school.  Many of us aren’t, but most of us get the advantage of being anonymous to the general public during that time of life.  And we definitely didn’t have to deal with the people associated with an MCC program trashing us constantly.

No doubt on that, that was some bs and they seemed out for blood which is why it is great just to have Gordon on campus. I thought they would find a way to hold that up (and maybe they tried).

I was curious because I have heard of significant blowouts between coaches and players at the high school level and sadly it seems to often be from the selfish adult. That was obviously the case at Vianney,  but I was wondering if something happened with Blossom too. That article just never made any sense to me.

12 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

but I was wondering if something happened with Blossom too. That article just never made any sense to me.

Literately made no sense to me too.  Blossom is one of gordons biggest fans, and that article seemed like it was trying to separate them.

16 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

No doubt on that, that was some bs and they seemed out for blood which is why it is great just to have Gordon on campus. I thought they would find a way to hold that up (and maybe they tried).

I was curious because I have heard of significant blowouts between coaches and players at the high school level and sadly it seems to often be from the selfish adult. That was obviously the case at Vianney,  but I was wondering if something happened with Blossom too. That article just never made any sense to me.

Yeah, I don't think I agree with the last part of your post. I don't know if it is a matter of being selfish as an adult. I think it is whether or not players fit into a coach's culture they want to establish at a school. I know people who have played there and really enjoyed their time there. For instance, I know many players would not have fit in with Majerus's. 

19 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I'm the parent of a high school wrestler. He is not an elite prospect, but I think with hard work, he could get a partial scholarship somewhere. He is a good kid, but gets in trouble constantly for stupid stuff that any typical teenager would do. Just last night after scolding him, I began to think about the bar us MBM'ers (and society) places on these athlete's. It really put things in perspective. These are kids. They are disrespectful. They do stupid things in the name of "love". They mislead parents in order to go have fun with friends. I couldn't imagine the pressure these guys feel when they have a small mistep but the public labels them a "problem child".  Just something for us to keep in mind...