GDT: NCAA Tournament Opening Weekend

Pistol

Middle Tennessee blowing away Michigan State!

No worries MSU coming back down 3 now.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Michigan state out. So I have no reason to watch the tourney (my champion pick) as my bracket is done. Guess I'll catch up on "the voice".

Can we all agree that there is a direct correlation between basketball knowledge and brackets? I am at 99% and that obviously shows that I know the game better than all of you (unless you are somehow above that). No need to ask how my bracket is doing from here on out...

I guess I jinxed myself.....

Back to being an idiot I suppose, a role I am much more comfortable in (still at 99%, but that is because very few picked that one).

Bracket busted. Thanks MSU (champion team)

Big mouth our only chance is middle Tennessee wins the tourney. Guess that's my team from here out.

The stats are unbelievable in this one. Middle Tennessee State is rated #198 in adjusted offensive efficiency per Pomeroy. Michigan State is rated #20 in adjusted defensive efficiency. Middle Tennessee State averaged 72.7 points per game on the season, good for 9th out of 14 teams in C-USA. They put up 90 points. Shot 55.9% from the field and 57.9% from 3 with just 10 TOs and was only out rebounded by 4 (although 9 offensive rebounds to 8 for Michigan State). I am at work, but tracking the game it just seemed like any time Michigan State cut into the lead Middle Tennessee State had a big answer, so they never had to deal with being down and Michigan State was fighting from behind the entire game.

How does that work points wise? Doesn't the champion team get like 100-200 points?

But no one else would get points for any of those games if MT keeps winning.

MTSU was impressive, poised, good shot selection and solid on D. They answered every time MSU cut the lead to one possession. They were getting favorable officiating, not that the fouls called we're not fouls, just that from a Billiken fan perspective, our players would never get those calls. A few traveling calls that were questionable, but overall just a team that played well. MSU spotted them 13 points and never caught up.

4 games still to go on Friday but here is how it looks for the mid-major (i.e. non power 5) vs. power conferences. I'm going to look at games in 5 through 12 seeds as those are the only ones involving at-large caliber mid-majors.

Mid-major winners:

Wichita St. over Vandy

Wichita St. over Arizona

Gonzaga over Seton Hall

Yale over Baylor

VCU over Oregon St.

Little Rock over Purdue

Power 5 winners:

Maryland over SD State

Iowa over Temple in OT

Indiana over Chatanooga

Michigan over Tulsa

Syracuse over Dayton

6-5 in total for the mid-majors with UNI looking like they could make it 7-5. But here's the rub; in 8 of the 9 games (only Dayton is the exception) the power 5 school was the higher seed. Sure does call into question how biased the seeding is in favor of the power 5 schools.