Coaching Candidates

JMM28

The SLU culture has changed for the good with the Fetz and the A10. A coaching legend like coach Majerus wanted the job and so will other coaching candidates that are lucky enough to be offered the coaching job. My attitude about SLU basketball has changed from getting a occasional bid to the NCAA to expecting competing for the conference each year. As city's go is Cincinnati or Spokane better than St. Louis? This is a good town with a good school, SLU, with good facilities, good conference and I think the AD understands this and should feel he has something great to offer to a coach. SLU should be able to get what they want and I anxiously waiting for the announcement.

But will they be willing to pay what Drew asks.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn it, I have been playing down our chances of landing Bryce Drew in my mind for over a year now because I didn't want to feel let down when it didn't happen. Now I am allowing myself to believe there is a decent chance it is going to happen.

Hate to tell ya, but everyone is getting their Drew's mixed up. But I'm equally excited for the Diener Express to roll into town. Toot toot!!

Damn it, I have been playing down our chances of landing Bryce Drew in my mind for over a year now because I didn't want to feel let down when it didn't happen. Now I am allowing myself to believe there is a decent chance it is going to happen.

Yeah now I'm going to be disappointed with whoever the next coach is if it's not Drew.

But will they be willing to pay what Drew asks.

I think so why offer if you do not plan to pay the guy the AD would look pretty foolish and it would destroy the fan base. I know I would be indifferent if Drew was not hired because of money. I will not think small time about SLU basketball any longer unless proven otherwise. Turn SLU into a Xavier and it will more than pay for Drew's price. Make men's basketball the hardest ticket to find in town and that pays what Drew wants.

Bryce Drew would be the ultimate home run hire. Even more so than Majerus was, because he would be a long term answer to the coaching question.

Would he really? You wouldn't have to worry about him jumping to his alma mater a la Romar or Anderson, but you would still have to worry about a Shakaesque or Stevensesque jump if he has a bunch of success here. Even considering the religious angle, there are other bigger name Catholic schools out there too. And does anyone know if he is specifically Catholic or just into the private Christian school angle?

Would he really? You wouldn't have to worry about him jumping to his alma mater a la Romar or Anderson, but you would still have to worry about a Shakaesque or Stevensesque jump if he has a bunch of success here. Even considering the religious angle, there are other bigger name Catholic schools out there too. And does anyone know if he is specifically Catholic or just into the private Christian school angle?

He is Lutheran.

St. Mary's over Valpo by 2

However Vegas has Valpo by 3

Good Billiken fans will hope I am correct.

Not that my outcome will ice anything....but it will increase our chances for a successful outcome.

I would be as happy as everyone else if he came here. I would just see him as more likely to bolt in a few years than any of the other possibilities, not less.

If a coach has success here, he's going to be likely to bolt. Shaka didn't stay at VCU, even Dayton fans say Archie won't stay at Dayton forever, Xavier lost plenty of coaches while they were in the A10. I don't see Drew as any more or less likely to bolt. If any coach has success here, they're going to get major looks eventually.

If a coach has success here, he's going to be likely to bolt. Shaka didn't stay at VCU, even Dayton fans say Archie won't stay at Dayton forever, Xavier lost plenty of coaches while they were in the A10. I don't see Drew as any more or less likely to bolt. If any coach has success here, they're going to get major looks eventually.

I think if he was likely to jump in a few years, he would wait it out a Valpo. He would get his chance at Valpo to go big time. No reason to go to SLU and take a chance rebuilding a program if he was looking for a stepping stone job.

Unless a coach is blatantly using a job as a stepping stone and would be likely to bolt in 2-3 years, I agree with those who think we shouldn't worry about a coach leaving down the road. Any elevation in the status of the program would be a good thing.

I would be as happy as everyone else if he came here. I would just see him as more likely to bolt in a few years than any of the other possibilities, not less.

What you have to do is give him enough support (financial and institutional) to make him want to stay. if you do that, you at least limit the jobs he'd be willing to take. Shaka could have taken a number of jobs before he ended up at Texas. Same with Stevens at Butler before going to the Celtics. Xavier has done a good job keeping Chris Mack.

I think if he was likely to jump in a few years, he would wait it out a Valpo. He would get his chance at Valpo to go big time. No reason to go to SLU and take a chance rebuilding a program if he was looking for a stepping stone job.

Thing is, he is much less likely to go deep in the NCAAs with Valpo than he is with SLU. He has to win the conference tourney every year just to get a ticket to the lottery with Valpo, while at SLU he just needs to finish top 3-5 in the conference. Major programs want someone with Sweet 16's or better, and that is far more likely here than at Valpo, I would hope.

It's gotta be weird for the St. Mary's and Valpo players tonight. If they read anything online at all, both squads have to be wondering whether their coach is leaving as soon as they lose. I'm not sure whether that will make them better or worse in terms of performance; every player, every team responds differently.

But it's a strange thing to have to go through while you're still playing.

I have never been a bigger St Mary's fan than I'll be tonight

This board is going to be a circus if Valpo loses tonight.