Changes in Branding for Athletics

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

header_logo.png

Yes, ensuring that your mascot looks "fierce" is the key to long-term success both on the court and in team gear sales.

I agree. Is Brutus the Buckeye, "fierce?" Testudo the Turtle? The ND Leprechaun? Puddles the Duck (yes, his name is "Puddles"). The Billiken was certainly "fierce" enough the previous years to win national titles in soccer and conference titles in hoops.

IMO, changing or abandoning the Billiken would be a decision beyond horrible. It is one of, it not them most unique mascots in D1 and with the right marketing should be one of the most popular. I know professional athletes who are SLU grads who love the Billiken, it was apparently "fierce" enough for them.

And going to "fierce" doesn't mean good. Look at DePaul. Billy Blue Demon was a classic but the rebrand is brutal. And, success certainly hasn't followed in the wake of retiring Billy for Dibs despite being more "fierce."

I agree. Is Brutus the Buckeye, "fierce?" Testudo the Turtle? The ND Leprechaun? Puddles the Duck (yes, his name is "Puddles"). The Billiken was certainly "fierce" enough the previous years to win national titles in soccer and conference titles in hoops.

IMO, changing or abandoning the Billiken would be a decision beyond horrible. It is one of, it not them most unique mascots in D1 and with the right marketing should be one of the most popular. I know professional athletes who are SLU grads who love the Billiken, it was apparently "fierce" enough for them.

And going to "fierce" doesn't mean good. Look at DePaul. Billy Blue Demon was a classic but the rebrand is brutal. And, success certainly hasn't followed in the wake of retiring Billy for Dibs despite being more "fierce."

They're not getting rid of the Billiken. Chris May would be fired for being dumb enough to present the idea as possible.

The fierce thing is so silly. Most universities have primary logos that are just letters. The physical mascot (person in costume) is for kids. That doesn't and shouldn't need to be "fierce."

I can't think of a single seconardy mascot logo that is "fierce."

Well, we have always said that we want to be like X.

5e259d8384ba3d8d9de0168e4beab35c.jpg

So are you advocating we make the Billiken meaner and appeal to the adults, while adding a fury, blue blob sidekick for the kids? Or does the Billiken become the kid-friendly sidekick and we introduce something more menacing?

They're not getting rid of the Billiken. Chris May would be fired for being dumb enough to present the idea as possible.

The fierce thing is so silly. Most universities have primary logos that are just letters. The physical mascot (person in costume) is for kids. That doesn't and shouldn't need to be "fierce."

I can't think of a single seconardy mascot logo that is "fierce."

back in 2002 a rebranding took place with the new font and "SLU" logo, primarily to create uniformity amongst all teams. At the time I was told that any change to the Billiken would have to come from Father Biondi. I have no idea if that is still the case with the new President.

What are the radical changes everyone keeps mentioning?

Putting Pierre Laclede and August Chouteau on the Logo.

However, I heard it cold be nixed because Phil Knight and Nike stole the idea and are putting Lewis & Clark on Oregon's helmets this Saturday.

Putting Pierre Laclede and August Chouteau on the Logo.

However, I heard it cold be nixed because Phil Knight and Nike stole the idea and are putting Lewis & Clark on Oregon's helmets this Saturday.

Stop trying such misdirection. The insider scoop is that they're taking John Stamos' face (angry version) and Billikenizing it.

Stop trying such misdirection. The insider scoop is that they're taking John Stamos' face (angry version) and Billikenizing it.

Some creative person who's on gets on this site has to create this. I don't know how, but for someone who does, it can't be that hard.

• 4 weeks later...