Coach's show - Mar 3rd

ARon

Just caught the first 15 minutes in the car. Crews was on this week.

-Earl is in the hospital. Rammer said he spoke to him tonight and Earl says he's ok. But he was also drugged up. He invited folks to send Earl get well wishes.

-Sounds like Coach expects Grandy will participate in senior night activities.

-Repeated his post game comments that the team wasn't sound or prepared and that is on him. But he also said a couple guys "hit the wall" earlier in the year and everyone seemed to Saturday.

-They were discussing senior nights and Crews was saying how the best part was being able to reflect on how far the kids have come from Freshman year on. He then told an interesting story about Conklin. When he and Bronson were first hired Brian had already completed his Conklin summer and so they had no perspective on how far he came. So he and Bronson are saying, "This Conklin kid looks pretty good". But the staff that had been there (Whitesell etc) were replying, "Oh sure he looks good in practice and maybe during non-conference, but that won't show up by A10 play." So even the staff weren't believers in the Conklin Summer at first.

-He also mentioned when first tried to offer Conklin a tip on shooting free throws, Brian quickly and respectfully replied, "I shot 3,000 of these over the summer and hit 87%."

-When Rammer's wife is calling for one of the girls on their 8th grade CYC team to do a back screen she yells "Conklin!"

What's the story on the show-you never know when it's going to be on. One time it's Monday, next time it's Tuesday-once it was on a Thursday. Tuned in this Monday at 7 and there was a college basketball game. It also is really not advertised. Is it put on as a filler this year.

-I would have listened if I knew it was on and I was on SLUBillikens.com yesterday and saw no promotion of the show, Bonwich is so correct

-Get Well Very Soon Earl!!! tough time of year for him to be down with all the hoops action

Crews talked about not putting guys on the lane during free throws and our inbounds plays.

He says there are 6 reasons for the free throw thing but he said he couldn't remember all 6. Something about how we're usually a good free throw shooting team, we're not a good offensive rebounding team, we need to set our defense, we don't want to foul.

For inbounds plays he says the hope is to have plays but we probably don't enough time in practice on our normal offense and defense that it's just a safety thing that they're doing for now.

Crews talked about not putting guys on the lane during free throws and our inbounds plays.

He says there are 6 reasons for the free throw thing but he said he couldn't remember all 6. Something about how we're usually a good free throw shooting team, we're not a good offensive rebounding team, we need to set our defense, we don't want to foul.

For inbounds plays he says the hope is to have plays but we probably don't enough time in practice on our normal offense and defense that it's just a safety thing that they're doing for now.

-according to KenPom we are 298th in ft% at 65.4% so my definition of a good ft shooting team is different

-what's the old line, don't confuse activity with achievement? we've spent all that time and look at the results.......

Didn't she play basketball as well? Or maybe it was volleyball.

Volleyball.

" Bob Ramsey, the voice of the basketball Billikens, will provide the play-by-play action. His wife and former Billiken volleyball standout Jen Ramsey will serve as expert analyst."

http://www.slubillikens.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27200&ATCLID=205263214

Just caught the first 15 minutes in the car. Crews was on this week.

-Earl is in the hospital. Rammer said he spoke to him tonight and Earl says he's ok. But he was also drugged up. He invited folks to send Earl get well wishes.

-Sounds like Coach expects Grandy will participate in senior night activities.

-Repeated his post game comments that the team wasn't sound or prepared and that is on him. But he also said a couple guys "hit the wall" earlier in the year and everyone seemed to Saturday.

-They were discussing senior nights and Crews was saying how the best part was being able to reflect on how far the kids have come from Freshman year on. He then told an interesting story about Conklin. When he and Bronson were first hired Brian had already completed his Conklin summer and so they had no perspective on how far he came. So he and Bronson are saying, "This Conklin kid looks pretty good". But the staff that had been there (Whitesell etc) were replying, "Oh sure he looks good in practice and maybe during non-conference, but that won't show up by A10 play." So even the staff weren't believers in the Conklin Summer at first.

-He also mentioned when first tried to offer Conklin a tip on shooting free throws, Brian quickly and respectfully replied, "I shot 3,000 of these over the summer and hit 87%."

-When Rammer's wife is calling for one of the girls on their 8th grade CYC team to do a back screen she yells "Conklin!"

FUOK YEAH

You don't have time to develop a couple of in bound plays?? How much time could that take. If all that time is being taken for "normal" offense/defense it's not working. The free throw thing just doesn't play. In a close game there should be people there for rebounds even though we're not that strong with that aspect.

The "we're good at free throws" thing sounds like coachspeak. He can't really believe that, but it sounds better than just saying we really suck at o-rebounding (which is true, and has been true the whole time he's been here). I'd be curious if he lined up guys for free throws at Evansville and Army.

The "we're good at free throws" thing sounds like coachspeak. He can't really believe that, but it sounds better than just saying we really suck at o-rebounding (which is true, and has been true the whole time he's been here). I'd be curious if he lined up guys for free throws at Evansville and Army.

He could be honest and say "we struggle at free throws at times." I'd rather hear then truth than BS coach speak blatant lies

He could be honest and say "we struggle at free throws at times." I'd rather hear then truth than BS coach speak blatant lies

He could be more honest and say, frankly, after two seasons of rolling the ball on the court and making two NCAA appearances, I thought it might work this year too. Obviously I was wrong.

In Crews three seasons as head coach we have ranked 141, 182 and 294 in FT%. We have never been a good free throw shooting team under Crews.

I really don't know if he has any clue what he is talking about at this point. I don't think he cares. He is stealing a paycheck at this point.

In Crews three seasons as head coach we have ranked 141, 182 and 294 in FT%. We have never been a good free throw shooting team under Crews.

I really don't know if he has any clue what he is talking about at this point. I don't think he cares. He is stealing a paycheck at this point.

Sadly, things have fallen so far that posts like this don't even draw a Dr. B meltdown anymore.

Look, I don't think that Crews is an idiot. He just reminds me of many of the people in my office over the years that are really close to retiring. They show up for work everyday, but they have already mentally checked out from the job.