Practice/Scouting

slufan13

Someone mentioned the other day that maybe we've just given up on offense and trying to win with defense. Or that we've concentrated so much on defense that we haven't practiced offense enough. To me this isn't a good idea when we aren't even that good at defense, but whatever. It's an interesting thought.

What I want to get to is 2 other points.

1. Majerus once said that no particular combination should look good on offense in practice. If it does, then your 5 defenders probably don't know your offense well enough. This obviously makes sense. The defense knows exactly what's coming. They should be able to stop it. So I wonder if this whole idea that "this combination doesn't look good in practice" thing is overplayed. I still want to see Roby as the sole PG. At least try it. More time with Reggie at the 5. You can't tell me that our current 5's are earning their keep.

2. Crews has mentioned that you do a lot less scouting and detail with this team because they simply can't handle it. During the 10-11 season, Majerus and the players mentioned that he was probably overwhelming them with detail and scouting, but that his opinion was that if they can't handle it now, they won't magically be able to handle it in a year or two.

Now, this isn't a shot at Crews, but he's no Majerus when it comes to scouting and detail, but I personally would have liked to see him throw more at the guys earlier in the season.

Maybe the guys don't look like they know the plan because there isn't enough of a plan?

Maybe he is giving them a lot and they truly can't handle it?

Majerus only recruited guys who he thought could handle it, so maybe that's a difference.

At this point it's too late and the guys are probably overwhelmed with anything. Losing really weighs on you. But we have no identifiable offense and I think at least part of it is because we don't know how to attack the weaknesses of the defense. Whether that's on the coaches or the players or both, I have no idea.

Just want to try to stop beating the dead horse and at least put a slightly different spin on everything.

Someone mentioned the other day that maybe we've just given up on offense and trying to win with defense. Or that we've concentrated so much on defense that we haven't practiced offense enough. To me this isn't a good idea when we aren't even that good at defense, but whatever. It's an interesting thought.

What I want to get to is 2 other points.

1. Majerus once said that no particular combination should look good on offense in practice. If it does, then your 5 defenders probably don't know your offense well enough. This obviously makes sense. The defense knows exactly what's coming. They should be able to stop it. So I wonder if this whole idea that "this combination doesn't look good in practice" thing is overplayed. I still want to see Roby as the sole PG. At least try it. More time with Reggie at the 5. You can't tell me that our current 5's are earning their keep.

2. Crews has mentioned that you do a lot less scouting and detail with this team because they simply can't handle it. During the 10-11 season, Majerus and the players mentioned that he was probably overwhelming them with detail and scouting, but that his opinion was that if they can't handle it now, they won't magically be able to handle it in a year or two.

Now, this isn't a shot at Crews, but he's no Majerus when it comes to scouting and detail, but I personally would have liked to see him throw more at the guys earlier in the season.

Maybe the guys don't look like they know the plan because there isn't enough of a plan?

Maybe he is giving them a lot and they truly can't handle it?

Majerus only recruited guys who he thought could handle it, so maybe that's a difference.

At this point it's too late and the guys are probably overwhelmed with anything. Losing really weighs on you. But we have no identifiable offense and I think at least part of it is because we don't know how to attack the weaknesses of the defense. Whether that's on the coaches or the players or both, I have no idea.

Just want to try to stop beating the dead horse and at least put a slightly different spin on everything.

Backhand you maybe on to something.

If you look at Crews assistants, I don't think one of them coached a Division 1 team as a HC. I know we all think all will be well when Crews leaves and we hand the reigns to Calbert Chaney.

Majerus surrounded himself in his short tenure with Porter, Biancardi, Whitsell and Crews. All previous coaches at mid-level D1 schools. Does anyone realize how competitive it is to even get one of those head coach jobs? I say its like 1 out of 1000. All assistants mentioned were successful somewhere or they wouldn't gotten a HC job.

Just my opinion of one of the reasons we see the upper class men show no improvement and the team plays like they don't have a clue.

If you look at Crews assistants, I don't think one of them coached a Division 1 team as a HC. I know we all think all will be well when Crews leaves and we hand the reigns to Calbert Chaney.

Majerus surrounded himself in his short tenure with Porter, Biancardi, Whitsell and Crews. All previous coaches at mid-level D1 schools. Does anyone realize how competitive it is to even get one of those head coach jobs? I say its like 1 out of 1000. All assistants mentioned were successful somewhere or they wouldn't gotten a HC job.

Just my opinion of one of the reasons we see the upper class men show no improvement and the team plays like they don't have a clue.

I believe Platt was a head coach once. But what's interesting is that he's the one who talks to a player after he comes out of the game. The other assistants hold their clipboard and just watch the game.

Roby at the 1 and Agbeko at the 5 would mean two guys playing out of position. Not a recipe for long-term success.

Agbeko would get his lunch eaten at the 5. He's not a particularly big forward as it is.

Roby running the point is also a temporary fix for a long-term issue, like Jett bringing up the ball late in games last year. The team needs a PG. Developing Bartley - painful as it is at times this season - is more crucial than having a guard like Roby run things until the next PG is ready or falls in our laps. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see Roby as the PG. He played HS ball with Chris Chiozza, a 100% pure PG. Roby's a combo guard who will do a lot of nice things for us.

They were all fired as head coaches and that is why they were available. A good friend's son played for Moser at one of his other stops. He said he was nice guy but wasn't impressed with his coaching. I thought they all did a good job AT SLU.

On paper we should have a very good staff. Not being at practice I have no idea if they are able to use their considerable playing experience in their coaching. I would think so but just because you were a good player that doesn't mean you will be a good coach. I heard Majerus loved Tanner Bronson.

Ricks last two recruiting classes were not good. His being sick and no immediate playing time available made it tough to do better.

Roby at the 1 and Agbeko at the 5 would mean two guys playing out of position. Not a recipe for long-term success.

Agbeko would get his lunch eaten at the 5. He's not a particularly big forward as it is.

Roby running the point is also a temporary fix for a long-term issue, like Jett bringing up the ball late in games last year. The team needs a PG. Developing Bartley - painful as it is at times this season - is more crucial than having a guard like Roby run things until the next PG is ready or falls in our laps. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see Roby as the PG. He played HS ball with Chris Chiozza, a 100% pure PG. Roby's a combo guard who will do a lot of nice things for us.

I agree on both points. Hopefully both Bartley and Reynolds will put on a lot of muscle in the offseason. I would like to see a lot of Gillman the rest of the way and bulk him up in the summer.

They were all fired as head coaches and that is why they were available. A good friend's son played for Moser at one of his other stops. He said he was nice guy but wasn't impressed with his coaching. I thought they all did a good job AT SLU.

On paper we should have a very good staff. Not being at practice I have no idea if they are able to use their considerable playing experience in their coaching. I would think so but just because you were a good player that doesn't mean you will be a good coach. I heard Majerus loved Tanner Bronson.

Ricks last two recruiting classes were not good. His being sick and no immediate playing time available made it tough to do better.

Porter Moser leaving seemed to hurt recruiting. What IF Moser had not gotten the Loyola job? I think he is now our head coach. While I have also heard he is not known as a good Xs and Os coach, I think our talent level would now be higher.

Unfortunately the thing Gillman lacks is speed and he gets beat too many times. Bulking up will not help this aspect of his game. Plus doubt if bulking up will increase the physicality to be a force in the paint.

Against VCU, he made a drastic change in his footwork which improved his ability immediately. Rather than step up to Alie-Cox when he caught it, AG immediately performed a drop step to protect against the drive. This caused Alie-Cox to drive and run right into Gillman's chest. The announcer then complimented Gillman on his positioning and Alie Cox was forced to kick it back out.

So for those MBMs looking for tangible progress, I would offer that up.

That is exactly what Rob Loe would do which turned him into an excellent defender his Senior year.

if crews gets hit by a truck, we have so many on this board who can step in immediately.

come on, people:

• one of the least experienced teams in D-1, but to boot, we have not jelled, a clear rotation has not emerged to the frustration of all of us
  • 6 bigs, 3 freshmen bigs, two inexperienced sophomore bigs, and a senior big role player... and bigs are the key to success in our situation
  • we are getting very little production from upperclassmen, always an indication of major problems (yacoubou must be leading the ncaa in blocked shots "against")

we all know this. we are all miffed that we are not further along.

most teams by now, hell by january, have determined their pecking order for minutes, their rotation. not us.

athletic teams can suddenly jell when the right combinations develop. hell we have arguments on here about who should play pg, putting agbeko at the 5, etcetera. frustrating that we cannot find that 8-9 man rotation and give the winners the opportunity to play together with confidence.

give crews and the kids a break, we will jell and things will be better, hopefully this year. i am not of course in any way convinced we will match the magic of our past several years... but i think the talent and coaching will turn this around, soon.

Get Milik out of the 4 then and let him play where he's comfortable, on the wing.

Watching the VCU game I recall RA grabbing a offensive rebound, putting the ball on the floor right under the basket only to have it stolen away. The announcer snickered, Big Man 101 teaches you never put the ball on the floor under the basket, just go up with it. You either make the shot or get fouled.

If Majerus was alive during the end of Manning sophomore season, he probably would had a sit-down with John and said, "John your not grasping the system, let us help you find some place at a lower level". Similar what he probably had with Salecich.

Now AG and MB have a boatload of talent, lets see how they show-up in October.

Anyone notice Bartley's game turns up a notch if he gets roughed up? After he got bloodied up he drained 3 treys. I think he had his last good game after taking a shot to the face.

Blindfold him and have the team take blows in the locker room before the game. Whatever it takes.