GDT: Battle for the Bronze Butt

bonwich

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just start Bartley, Ash, Yarborough, Reggie, and Gillman. Stick to a primary lineup and sub in as the game goes along.

A couple of GDT's back Nark suggested Bartley be the starting point guard. I now very much agree. Him and Gillman can be something down the line.

The program notes say that SLU leads the all time series with SIUe 8-1. (Prior to this win tonight.)

Anyone know the era and circumstances that saw us lose to them? I don't know how to look that stuff up. I know the soccer team was Div 1 back in the Bronze Boot days but I didn't think they had a Div 1 basketball team til recently.

Bonus question. I've gotten pretty used to the ###### officiating we have now but is just me or were those clowns tonight extra special??

The program notes say that SLU leads the all time series with SIUe 8-1. (Prior to this win tonight.)

Anyone know the era and circumstances that saw us lose to them? I don't know how to look that stuff up. I know the soccer team was Div 1 back in the Bronze Boot days but I didn't think they had a Div 1 basketball team til recently.

Bonus question. I've gotten pretty used to the ###### officiating we have now but is just me or were those clowns tonight extra special??

I think it was "Offensive Fouls for Charity" night.

Dumpster.

Fire.

Exactly. You can try to dress up this win, but this season is still a dumpster fire.

Their only win is against Harris Stowe. They lost to Portland, Portland St., Central Michigan, and IPFW. There is no excuse for a Billiken team to have to go the final minute to lock up this victory.

Exactly. You can try to dress up this win, but this season is still a dumpster fire.

Their only win is against Harris Stowe. They lost to Portland, Portland St., Central Michigan, and IPFW. There is no excuse for a Billiken team to have to go the final minute to lock up this victory.

Did Crews at least save some timeouts to use in the next game?

Manning was the player of the game for SLU. He is our only post player who defends.

You must be mannings mom or something. He was maybe slightly less terrible than he has been the last few games tonight. A couple of blocks doesn't mean he is a good defender. Several times his man got put backs. He is awful. Playing him at this point serves no purpose other than to reward him for being a good student/practice player the last three years

Did Crews at least save some timeouts to use in the next game?

I just don't get it. With a young an inexperienced team that is a chance to coach them up. He called one time out and that was with less than 30 seconds left. No teaching opportunity before that?

You must be mannings mom or something. He was maybe slightly less terrible than he has been the last few games tonight. A couple of blocks doesn't mean he is a good defender. Several times his man got put backs. He is awful. Playing him at this point serves no purpose other than to reward him for being a good student/practice player the last three years

He had four blocks, 3 assists, and the guys he was going up against all got in foul trouble. It was a crap opponent, but he had a decent enough game.

Just start Bartley, Ash, Yarborough, Reggie, and Gillman. Stick to a primary lineup and sub in as the game goes along.

+1

Don't understand all the toying with the lineup. But I suspect the push to have McBroom ' s shooting in the lineup stops coaching staff from just going with this lineup. But it looks at times like the staff is just thinking too hard. We shot the best percentage we have shot all season tonight though. Play Yarbrough and Agbeko together and we have multiple guys teams have to extend to guard on that front line. Gillmann ' s feel for the game, shooting and passing makes him a quality 5 man. Bartley is best point on the roster and his creativity is needed to get all those guys easily involved offensively. Yacoubou is coming around on both ends and is best off guard. McBroom could be our sniper off the bench.

Manning did not have a good game. He was constantly letting his man dribble right past him and into the lane, causing the rest of the defense to collapse and opening up the outside shots for SIUE more. He should not be getting more minutes than Gillman, period. Absolutely no upside at this point.

I could not believe Manning played as much as he did, considering how smooth Gillman looked in there (except for one bad pass attempt in the 2nd half). Just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.....

We lost to SIUE in Grawer's first year, the low point of Billikens hoops. Our record was 5-23 but 2 only 3 of the wins were against d-I teams. We lost to UMSL and SIUE both D-II at the time at home.

Refs were awful especially on charging/blocking calls.

We lost to SIUE in Grawer's first year, the low point of Billikens hoops. Our record was 5-23 but 2 only 3 of the wins were against d-I teams. We lost to UMSL and SIUE both D-II at the time at home.

Refs were awful especially on charging/blocking calls.

Thanks Torch. I was at that UMSL game and haven't forgotten it. I didn't remember that we lost to SIUE the same year. Man, that WAS a bad season.

I just don't get it. With a young an inexperienced team that is a chance to coach them up. He called one time out and that was with less than 30 seconds left. No teaching opportunity before that?

I read an article where Greg Marshall talked about how he hated calling timeouts. Noted that the Shockers only called something crazy like 2 time outs all of last seasons. Obviously the teams are vastly different, but Marshall basically said he had nothing good to say to his players during a time out. He spent all week teaching his players, so there wasn't much he could add in the heat of the moment.

Perhaps, rightly or wrongly, Crews has that same approach.

Manning was fine last night and he definitely at least attempts to guard in the post unlike Jolly who tries to take a charge every time. Even slightly altering the shot helps and that's at least one thing Manning adds.

But Manning honestly cannot guard a ball screen at all. He got split at the end of the South Dakota St game for the game clinching basket and he let the guard get to the basket at will most of last night.

Looks like you are in the minority opinion on this one as both Crews and more importantly RAMMER praised Maning as the player of the game.

Looks like you are in the minority opinion on this one as both Crews and more importantly RAMMER praised Maning as the player of the game.

I guess. He was better than jolly last night. It just really sucks that our seniors best game is a 6 point effort against edwardsville. At least there is hope for jolly and gilmann to become solid players.