OT: Mizzou to hire Kim

Haha! Funny you should say that. Even for those who don't normally like visiting the SPUMAC board, it is almost as entertaining as reading some of MB73's posts. It is in full meltdown mode right now. Almost everybody hates it, but it seems to be quite popular with the... let's call it the MB73 element of the Mizzou fanbase... Do the folks who want to get back to the "good old days" of Stewart realize that much of his era was as corrupt as the stuff that followed his departure?

The general feeling was that if you were over 40 you wanted Kim, if you were under 40 you wanted anybody else.

I don't doubt that he's a great X's and O's coach, but Bo Ryan is the only example of someone making the jump from a lower division and having massive success at D-1 that I can think of. Recruiting is also more and more about AAU ball at the D-1 level and I'm a little concerned with Kim's ability to create connections in that sphere.

I'm sure he's a great dude with high character (and that's definitely something we should be looking for in a coach), but winning is also important and it remains to be seen whether he can do it at this level. We'll find out.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The general feeling was that if you were over 40 you wanted Kim, if you were under 40 you wanted anybody else.

I don't doubt that he's a great X's and O's coach, but Bo Ryan is the only example of someone making the jump from a lower division and having massive success at D-1 that I can think of. Recruiting is also more and more about AAU ball at the D-1 level and I'm a little concerned with Kim's ability to create connections in that sphere.

I'm sure he's a great dude with high character (and that's definitely something we should be looking for in a coach), but winning is also important and it remains to be seen whether he can do it at this level. We'll find out.

Bo Ryan is what you have to hope for. Brad Soderberg is what you have to fear. Wisconsin certainly chose wisely.

They should have hired him 15 years ago.

Agree and glad they didn't.

This is a good hire for Mizzou and he will have success. Best thing for Mizzou is this probably signals the end of any influence Laurie still had in running the basketball program and signals the decline of Mike Alden.

Agree and glad they didn't.

This is a good hire for Mizzou and he will have success. Best thing for Mizzou is this probably signals the end of any influence Laurie still had in running the basketball program and signals the decline of Mike Alden.

I would guess that so long as football is successful Alden's seat isn't too hot.

I would guess that so long as football is successful Alden's seat isn't too hot.

Don't necessarily think his seat his hot, just that his power has declined.

On a related note, I don't understand why Alden gets credit for the SEC stuff. It was his job to get Mizzou into the Big 10 and not the SEC. I think they are better off in the SEC, but everyone involved at Mizzou wanted the Big 10 and so did Alden. He failed.

Don't necessarily think his seat his hot, just that his power has declined.

On a related note, I don't understand why Alden gets credit for the SEC stuff. It was his job to get Mizzou into the Big 10 and not the SEC. I think they are better off in the SEC, but everyone involved at Mizzou wanted the Big 10 and so did Alden. He failed.

When everyone wanted Mizzou in the Big 10 the SEC wasn't seen as an option. Most people are ecstatic about the move to the SEC. Alden also doesn't get all the credit for the move, as Brady Deaton had a lot to do with it.

Agree with everything you said here. Hopefully, this will bring Mizzou's fan base back to reality. $40,000 for the search firm....honestly, and I'm not even joking, how does Mike Alden still have a job?!?!

Probably not. They are as delusional as ever. The names they thought they could bring in for that job were unrealistic... from MA to Haith to a DII coach... next hire will be a HS coach.

When everyone wanted Mizzou in the Big 10 the SEC wasn't seen as an option. Most people are ecstatic about the move to the SEC. Alden also doesn't get all the credit for the move, as Brady Deaton had a lot to do with it.

The SEC wasn't an option because it was seen as beneath Mizzou.

Probably not. They are as delusional as ever. The names they thought they could bring in for that job were unrealistic... from MA to Haith to a DII coach... next hire will be a HS coach.

Jeff Goodman said Howland would have accepted the job had we offered it, and Gregg Marshall met with Alden about the position but felt that the timing wasn't right to leave WSU (son is a senior in HS, top ten team coming back next year).

Who else was mentioned (aside from the Jay Wright rumor which was just a flightaware joke) that was unrealistic?

Also they weren't expanding at the time. The B1G was the only conference that had explicitly stated they were looking to add teams.

Mizzou had been angling to get into the Big 10 long before the announcement that they were looking to add teams. They spent years trying to set themselves for when the Big 10 would expand. Everyone knew once the Big 10 announced they were expanding that the SEC would expand, too. No one associated with Mizzou wanted the SEC. It was all about the Big 10.

Mizzou had been angling to get into the Big 10 long before the announcement that they were looking to add teams. They spent years trying to set themselves for when the Big 10 would expand. Everyone knew once the Big 10 announced they were expanding that the SEC would expand, too. No one associated with Mizzou wanted the SEC. It was all about the Big 10.

It wasn't about wanting the SEC or not, really. It was that we didn't expect the SEC to target Mizzou. Everyone thought that Mizzou seemed like a better fit for the Big 10 from Fans to national media. As soon as the SEC started looking at Mizzou and info began leaking out everyone I know was incredibly excited about the idea.

Jeff Goodman said Howland would have accepted the job had we offered it, and Gregg Marshall met with Alden about the position but felt that the timing wasn't right to leave WSU (son is a senior in HS, top ten team coming back next year).

Who else was mentioned (aside from the Jay Wright rumor which was just a flightaware joke) that was unrealistic?

I was talking about the UM Fans... Fan speculation included Shaka, Mack, Cronin, Miller, Drew, Matta, Kruger. The job is not as attractive as many of them like to think. I don't think your AD has the best reputation either.

-i realize mizzou is in another universe compared to Central MO (being serious) but he got kids good enough to win a championship to go to Warrensburg, i think he can get kids to COMO

I was talking about the UM Fans... Fan speculation included Shaka, Mack, Cronin, Miller, Drew, Matta, Kruger. The job is not as attractive as many of them like to think. I don't think your AD has the best reputation either.

I guess you haven't been on the internet during a coaching search before? Every fan base shoots for the moon with speculation, including this board in the past.

The ole, "my son is a senior in high school so I'm not going to change jobs" excuse, eh? Let's be realistic here. Gregg Marshall wasn't leaving WSU for Mizzou for the reason in bold above. Marshall has more tourney wins in his final four run than Mizzou has had in over a decade. The only way I would have seen Marshall accepting the Mizzou job is if: 1) they offered him Coach K money 2) he thought Mizzou would be a nice stepping stone to a premiere coaching position.

The ole, "my son is a senior in high school so I'm not going to change jobs" excuse, eh? Let's be realistic here. Gregg Marshall wasn't leaving WSU for Mizzou for the reason in bold above. Marshall has more tourney wins in his final four run than Mizzou has had in over a decade. The only way I would have seen Marshall accepting the Mizzou job is if: 1) they offered him Coach K money 2) he thought Mizzou would be a nice stepping stone to a premiere coaching position.

I think it would have taken a little over 3 million to get him to leave WSU. I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave WSU in the next year or two even if it's not a blue blood opening so long as it's a good fit.

I was just quoting his agent by the way, not my intuition. His agent brought up the son in high school part.

AC's are going to be really important. A safe hire, but how many kids remember Norm Stewart? Didn't Mizzery have a really good AC? His name escapes me, as do most things about BCCC, but I thought he was a great recruiter. Wonder why he wasn't promoted. My gut tells me this is not going to take Mizzery to the promised land, where the fans think they rightfully belong.

Problem is many in their fan base are delusional.

I have to say I was shocked to hear that they hired Kim Anderson - not because he was not plausible but that they passed on him 3 other times plus his age and lack of recent D1 coaching experience. I had no idea who they were going to hire but if this was a safe hire and if this is why they did it then I would be worried if I was a Missouri fan. I am not sure I would call Bo Ryan a safe hire at WI in fact they took a chance and for them it paid off. Will this pay off for Missouri - who knows but safe hires usually do not become stars. As far as saying that he was able to get kids to come to CMS so he surely can get kids to come to Missouri - apples and oranges. Different type of quality of players and different type of competition for players. I know JC is older and some would say he was a safe hire but he really was not, he took over a program with a sick and dying head coach, he had been an assistant coach for a year with the same team, he managed to get them to the NCAA tourney, wins a conference title and conference tourney title so while I was only OK with the hire I understood the dynamics and was not that upset with it. JC also took over a team that he was the head coach and Anderson will not be doing that. Looking forward to see how it all plays out.

Not true. Beihlein from Michigan was a DII coach prior to WVU. He 's done well at both DI schools.

I think this is good for SLU.

Kim is a plug.

No top notch coaches will go there now with the big mess with Missouri athletes and the athletic department.

So bring in Kim, try to sell everyone that he is a Mizzou grad, blah blah lets get back to our roots, but kids do not care about the Norm Stewart era and will not recognize him as a big time coach coming from Central Missouri State. CMS? WTF?

SO it is patchwork time, good coaches would not want to go there and possibly get burned with the AD in hot water and possible athletic department further disclosures and even penalties, plus the bad PR.

So they hired Anderson, a band aid. He is happy, they have a "story".

He is a good guy. They should have hired him long, long ago, before his resume was downgraded with all those years at CMS.

This is good for SLU.