Crews on 13-14 Season/Future

moytoy12

Some know more

Some know more then others, back to NCAA Tourney.....

I am sure you know something and I am willing to believe the 2014 to 2015 team will be very exciting to watch.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SLU is not a team that reloads with MickeyD all-Americans, we have to recruit. Maybe only about a dozen schools fit that category.

Rickma showed us by recruiting specific 2 and 3 star under the radar recruits can bring you success, I think JC is on to that. The 2014 class on paper looks very strong but its going take maybe the next year to season these players.

My feeling for next season is a little better then .500. Hoping we can still beat up on our usual weak OOC schedule. Going maybe 9-9 (we are going to 18 conference games next year, right?) conference. With major improvement with the freshmen in February/March part of the schedule. A lot depends on AY.

Would not mind seeing the team in the NIT or CBI to assist with the freshmen development.

I doubt it. The nit is harder to make then people realize. In the 11 year gap where we didn't make the dance, we only made the nit 2 times. And it's harder to make now with the regular season conference champs getting an auto invite.

Definitely. We're a long way from the days when a .500 record was enough to get a team in the NIT. Even in our CBI year - which was a pretty good season - we were on the outside looking in. I thought we deserved to make it that year, but as I recall, Rhode Island and Northwestern were deemed more worthy.

Definitely. We're a long way from the days when a .500 record was enough to get a team in the NIT. Even in our CBI year - which was a pretty good season - we were on the outside looking in. I thought we deserved to make it that year, but as I recall, Rhode Island and Northwestern were deemed more worthy.

We beat Dayton twice that year, and Dayton got into the NIT. Then, Dayton won said NIT.

A couple of points everyone seems to forget when we look back fondly at the RM period ending now with this now being Crews' team. Excuse me? Shouldn't a team be able to rely on its senior class? Who recruited that dynamic duo of JM and GG? And while I'm not certain of the answer to the next question, but who recruited McBroom? It appears that most posters are ready to start the "judging process" next year when all JC has is 8 or 9 underclassmen whom he has recruited, 5 or 6 of whom will be Freshmen.

I think he was dealt a less than stellar hand for next year, but I'm excited about AY, MC, TL, RA and the incoming 5 or 6, even though I think 2 of the newbies will be projects to a certain degree. I think we will be well above .500 even with the suspect 2-man senior class.

A couple of points everyone seems to forget when we look back fondly at the RM period ending now with this now being Crews' team. Excuse me? Shouldn't a team be able to rely on its senior class? Who recruited that dynamic duo of JM and GG? And while I'm not certain of the answer to the next question, but who recruited McBroom? It appears that most posters are ready to start the "judging process" next year when all JC has is 8 or 9 underclassmen whom he has recruited, 5 or 6 of whom will be Freshmen.

I think he was dealt a less than stellar hand for next year, but I'm excited about AY, MC, TL, RA and the incoming 5 or 6, even though I think 2 of the newbies will be projects to a certain degree. I think we will be well above .500 even with the suspect 2-man senior class.

Yeah I think the last 6 guys that RM brought here were McBroom, Glaze, Manning, Tselantakis, Carter, and Drew.

The lack of anything substantial on the shelf for those last six recruits might have led some to conclude RM wasn't planning to be around much longer on his own volition.

Yeah I think the last 6 guys that RM brought here were McBroom, Glaze, Manning, Tselantakis, Carter, and Drew.

Come on, you can't put ET on there. Everybody knew that was a one-year deal when he signed. Nothing wrong with McBroom. That's not a bad addition. Glaze had signed with UNLV and made a lot of Top 150 recruiting lists. While he hasn't been great, he was worth a shot. Manning did seem like a bit of a project. Not very heralded coming out of HS, but as others have pointed out, programs like ours are not going to get elite bigs - there are very few of them. We have to try to develop bigs - like we'll be doing again with Jolly and Gillman. I still think Carter was a solid recruit based on his HS career. I don't fault that one. Who knows, maybe he sticks around if RM was still around his freshman year. Drew did seem like a reach at the time and that was a clear miss. But no denying it certainly wasn't RM's best run of recruiting.

McBroom- serviceable, Grandy- Still Waiting, JM- ditto, Carter-saw the potential, Drew- a miss, Zorba- a miss. Not as impressive as the departing seniors. And while the cupboard isn't bare, it's at best sparse. JC appears to have done a pretty good job. I'm in the camp that AY, TL, MC, and RA will pan out to be a good class. Know only what I've read and hoping at least 3 of them turn out to be very good D1 players. Definitely like the size and length of the guards, and all seem to have good pedigrees, save for Gillman (project),in coming from winning programs. RM always stressed that he liked kids from winning programs even if they weren't the shining stars. Still think this last scholie is critical and am crossing my fingers for a big JUCO that can back up JM, or a solid 3 JUCO that can help out this season.

Come on, you can't put ET on there. Everybody knew that was a one-year deal when he signed. Nothing wrong with McBroom. That's not a bad addition. Glaze had signed with UNLV and made a lot of Top 150 recruiting lists. While he hasn't been great, he was worth a shot. Manning did seem like a bit of a project. Not very heralded coming out of HS, but as others have pointed out, programs like ours are not going to get elite bigs - there are very few of them. We have to try to develop bigs - like we'll be doing again with Jolly and Gillman. I still think Carter was a solid recruit based on his HS career. I don't fault that one. Who knows, maybe he sticks around if RM was still around his freshman year. Drew did seem like a reach at the time and that was a clear miss. But no denying it certainly wasn't RM's best run of recruiting.

Wasn't saying it in a negative way at all. Was just pointing it out. I was excited about Glaze and Carter. I don't have problems with either of those recruits. Same with McBroom because he played well as a D1 freshmen.

I would assume that opposing recruiters pounded good recruits with the notion that perhaps RM was not going to be here for their entire 4 years, one way or another, and that might have cost us some good ones.

I would assume that opposing recruiters pounded good recruits with the notion that perhaps RM was not going to be here for their entire 4 years, one way or another, and that might have cost us some good ones.

And we had a full roster of very experienced players in terms of playing time who were going to be back for one or two years and at this point in college ball the kids seem to want to see openings where they might play immediately before they commit. I think this years three guard recruits all said at one time or another that they saw an opportunity because all of our starting guards were seniors. With next years starters completely unknown at this point with the exception possibly of Manning and Ash the recruits saw some possible time open and that would still be the case with any new recruit. Our frosh from this year will compete hard for time but any new recruit could do the same.

So was Brett Thompson........

Correct, I didn't think it was a bad idea to give him a schollie either. He had a lot of good schools after him at the time. Obviously recruiting is an inexact science. Being on one of those lists certainly doesn't guarantee success, but it tends to increase the odds. Put it this way, I would much rather take a shot at a Brett Thompson, than somebody like Horace Dixon - who was an unkown in recruiting circles.

Kid, it usually doesn't end well when you try to challenge me - http://www.bigeastboards.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=68587&sid=9f6f258376fe0b29e4d22f715073c37c

ACT scores!

Go check the Rivals 150 and he isn't there. I tend to trust the actual source over a poster on bigeastboards.com.

http://sports.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-rivals150/2011

EDIT: And even if you say he was once on the list and later fell off, that 1) cannot be proved 2) does not fit with the point you make in your post and 3) Is far from being "a lot of top 150 lists."

It's a nit-picky point, but that doesn't change the fact that what you said simply wasn't true.

Go check the Rivals 150 and he isn't there. I tend to trust the actual source over a poster on bigeastboards.com.

http://sports.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-rivals150/2011

EDIT: And even if you say he was once on the list and later fell off, that 1) cannot be proved 2) does not fit with the point you make in your post and 3) Is far from being "a lot of top 150 lists."

It's a nit-picky point, but that doesn't change the fact that what you said simply wasn't true.

ACT Scores!

And another source - http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/apr/21/unlv-2011-signee-grandy-glaze-requests-release/

So it seems like he fell out of the top 150 from ONE source while in high school. He did not make "a lot of" top 150 lists and he never was seen as a consensus top 150 player.

He also did not end his career as a top 150 player on any source that I can find, having checked at least the main 4 or 5.

So it seems like he fell out of the top 150 from ONE source while in high school. He did not make "a lot of" top 150 lists and he never was seen as a consensus top 150 player.

He also did not end his career as a top 150 player on any source that I can find, having checked at least the main 4 or 5.

And another source - http://prepstars.com/recruiting_news/2011/grandyglaze042211.jsp

The earlier article indicates he fell out of the top 100, not the top 150.

You asked me to find "one"... it's already been done.

And another source - http://prepstars.com/recruiting_news/2011/grandyglaze042211.jsp

The earlier article indicates he fell out of the top 100, not the top 150.

You asked me to find "one"... it's already been done.

When people talk about Top 150 lists, they mean Scout, Rivals, and ESPN. They aren't talking about JoeSchmoeSportsBlog like you're referencing. I get that Rivals once ranked him, but that's not what you're referencing.

One June 10, 2011, AFTER he committed to SLU, Clark Francis still regards him as a Top 100 recruit - http://www.hoopscooponline.com/2011/06/

When people talk about Top 150 lists, they mean Scout, Rivals, and ESPN. They aren't talking about JoeSchmoeSportsBlog like you're referencing. I get that Rivals once ranked him, but that's not what you're referencing.

I mean I've heard of prepstars.com before.