Who stops Warren?

slu72

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The issue with DE guarding him is foul trouble. Warren is quick and will probably get a half step by DE a lot. Hopefully, DE would play off of him and force him into jumpers more than drives. Our help defense/rotation will need to be on point.

That's what I was saying, im only put DE on warren if warren is in foul trouble.

Bingo! This is a NBA prototypical player who gets buckets. You can only make it difficult, contest his shots, keep him out of paint. He is a big so he must be guarded by bigs. He will shoot over DE, JB, or JJ with ease. Make him work to D up our bigs and DE. That will reduce the effectiveness of his offensive output. DE or JJ in foul trouble is a disaster and you can rest assured that will be the case here.

We REALLY need to limit transition baskets. How many long outlet passes did NC State throw for easy layup? I think our half court D is probably still good enough to give the wolfpack a pretty nasty time.....

Totally agree, and it was usually Warren getting out in front in transition.. You're really not stopping him there. Limit the TOs.

Bingo! This is a NBA prototypical player who gets buckets. You can only make it difficult, contest his shots, keep him out of paint. He is a big so he must be guarded by bigs. He will shoot over DE, JB, or JJ with ease. Make him work to D up our bigs and DE. That will reduce the effectiveness of his offensive output. DE or JJ in foul trouble is a disaster and you can rest assured that will be the case here.

If you're still suggesting putting Lancona on him then I simply disagree. Also, whoever we put on him will not change who he guards the other way. They could easily stash him on Glaze, Lancona, or Barnett. That said, those guys still need to make him work as much as possible, but it's not like we can just make him guard Evans.

I may be in the minority, but jb/warren match up sounds interesting. Jb some what still gives you the offensive edge, and he's a decent defender against driving players and is solid at rebounding. Maybe it was just mainly against x but Warren seemed to enjoys attacking and driving to the rim.

Who did we play all year that most closely resembled Warren ability wise and how did we handle him?

Cleanthony Early.

Can't recall off the top of my head how exactly we guarded him. He scored 12 points on 12 shots.

Who did we play all year that most closely resembled Warren ability wise and how did we handle him?

My guess is early from wsu, which raises the issue of how we did alright with him, but it was the rest of wsu that did some damage.

I may be in the minority, but jb/warren match up sounds interesting. Jb some what still gives you the offensive edge, and he's a decent defender against driving players and is solid at rebounding. Maybe it was just mainly against x but Warren seemed to enjoys attacking and driving to the rim.

You can't be serious. Warren would put up 50 with Barnett guarding him.

I really think Crews needs to coach more hands on this time. I really would not mind seeing the "Soderberg-Arizona strategy of 2003" -- Make this a half-court game. Warren can take contest 18 footers or drive and have Rob waiting for him in the paint.

If It is going to be the outlet passes to guards to streaking dunkers from NC State that is going to make me scream at the TV. There should be nothing easy tomorrow. Let's get back to the type of game that everyone hates to watch

I really think Crews needs to coach more hands on this time. I really would not mind seeing the "Soderberg-Arizona strategy of 2003" -- Make this a half-court game. Warren can take contest 18 footers or drive and have Rob waiting for him in the paint.

If It is going to be the outlet passes to guards to streaking dunkers from NC State that is going to make me scream at the TV. There should be nothing easy tomorrow. Let's get back to the type of game that everyone hates to watch

Yep. Don't turn the ball over, get back on D and don't let them get out in transition. NC State struggled in the halfcourt offense. Most importantly, we gotta play our game - the way we played at St. Joe's and at Dayton is good enough to beat an awful lot of teams in this field. I went back and looked at the UMass game, and although parts of that game were ugly, we really played a solid, tough game... so even though we struggled down the stretch, the UMass game indicates we still have some good games left in us.