what's the latest on JJ? anyway: what happened??

JJ was not himself after his injury. any idea what that was -- bang his knee? any damage to the joint??

I've read on other threads that DE is also hurt -- how? I assume when he fell on his hip at VCU??

last night may have been the most discouraging game I've ever seen at Chaifetz. I will not whine in detail but that 13-2 run near the end by Dayton was the worst I've felt about this team all year, by far. Worse than Duquesne, much worse than VCU, where I predicted we would lose. i felt really, really bad, and very sad for the seniors and the their parents, especially.

Imagine flying in from New Zealand for that ending...

what a bummer end to the home slate.

I just cannot figure out what happened to the team, just being honest. . . . . so sad!

Evans fell right after Jett. He went back to the locker room right after Jett came back in the floor. Numerous times the rest of the game Dayton players went after him, knocking him down and jumping into his hip.

Evans fell right after Jett. He went back to the locker room right after Jett came back in the floor. Numerous times the rest of the game Dayton players went after him, knocking him down and jumping into his hip.

Dayton will get what's coming to it.

Jumping into Evans' hip is such wannabe rubbish, and all under the blind eyes of the 2 A10 zebras and the visiting zebra from the ACC/Big East that denied SLU its timeout.

But Guy Phillips no more than announces John Manning entering the game for the Billikens, than some Zebra from the Serengeti blows the whistle, just because he is John Manning, with the zebra blowing the whistle akin to Pavlov's dog. John Manning raises his arms, foul called. John Manning takes a step, foul called. Rob Loe breathes, foul called. Some A10 wannabe opponent gets the ball down low, automatic whistle, contact or not, automatic, Pavlovian.

This A10 is really something, about to get 6 teams into the NCAA Tournament, but as Tom Timmerman tweets, none higher than a 5 seed, but still in many ways, nonetheleast of which being the perpetually bad officiating and the paltry TV revenue, a Mickey Mouse League. Or as I described the A10 yesterday to a SLU Class of '70 alumnus in Walnut Creek, CA, the A10 is still the top of the bottom. The one thing the A10 has improved is TV access, which is vastly improved from the past, albeit without even adequate TV revenue from that access.

It should be noted that at one point one of the fouls committed on Dwayne was literally a tackle.

Dayton will get what's coming to it.

Jumping into Evans' hip is such wannabe rubbish, and all under the blind eyes of the 2 A10 zebras and the visiting zebra from the ACC/Big East that denied SLU its timeout.

But Guy Phillips no more than announces John Manning entering the game for the Billikens, than some Zebra from the Serengeti blows the whistle, just because he is John Manning, with the zebra blowing the whistle akin to Pavlov's dog. John Manning raises his arms, foul called. John Manning takes a step, foul called. Rob Loe breathes, foul called. Some A10 wannabe opponent gets the ball down low, automatic whistle, contact or not, automatic, Pavlovian.

This A10 is really something, about to get 6 teams into the NCAA Tournament, but as Tom Timmerman tweets, none higher than a 5 seed, but still in many ways, nonetheleast of which being the perpetually bad officiating and the paltry TV revenue, a Mickey Mouse League. Or as I described the A10 yesterday to a SLU Class of '70 alumnus in Walnut Creek, CA, the A10 is still the top of the bottom. The one thing the A10 has improved is TV access, which is vastly improved from the past, albeit without even adequate TV revenue from that access.

I agree that Dayton was being overly physical with Evans. Probably because they knew he was not 100 percent. I'm not going to get overly upset with that because I feel like any NCAA bubble team playing for their tournament hopes would probably do the same thing.

I also don't think the refs were that unfair to us. We were in the double bonus both halves. Dayton was called for a substantial amount of fouls.

I agree that Dayton was being overly physical with Evans. Probably because they knew he was not 100 percent. I'm not going to get overly upset with that because I feel like any NCAA bubble team playing for their tournament hopes would do the same thing.

I also don't think the refs were that unfair to us. We were in the double bonus both halves. Dayton was called for a substantial amount of fouls.

My only problem with the officiating is the way they handled the "guarding" of Evans. They man handled him every time. Sometimes they called it, most times they let it go. If it is a foul once it should be called every time. The officials just pick and choose at what moments to call the muggings. If it is a foul call it. They shouldnt let it go sometime and not othwrs.

I agree that Dayton was being overly physical with Evans. Probably because they knew he was not 100 percent. I'm not going to get overly upset with that because I feel like any NCAA bubble team playing for their tournament hopes would probably do the same thing.

Dayton being called for fouls is the same as VCU being (or not being) called for fouls. Fouls are fouls, at least they are supposed to be.

On the other hand, walking and breathing at the same time is NOT a foul, raising one's arms is not a foul, the opponent getting the ball underneath is not automatically a foul, except against SLU in this A10. These refs are a step behind, often call the 2nd foul on a play, not the first, often some form of retaliation.

As for last night's refs, that visiting zebra from the ACC/Big East denied SLU its clearly and emphatically requested timeout after the SLU made basket with 34 seconds left that cut the UD lead to 1 point. That inexplicable timeout denial allowed UD to run 10 seconds off the clock, and forced SLU to chase and foul an 86.5% FT shooter just to stop the clock. Did that cost SLU the game? Well, it sure did not help. Missing 10 free throws and going 8-15 at the FT line in the 2nd half did not help either. But I continue to maintain that not giving SLU that requested timeout was a blown non-call, showing an obvious double standard. That timeout is routinely given in college basketball. As I said in another post, if Duke had been the one wearing the blue uniforms last night, and Coach K had been the one out on the floor yelling for the timeout, that visiting zebra would no doubt, and I mean no doubt, have granted it, and we all know it.

Further, that visiting zebra also appeared winded at one point later in the 2nd Half. Maybe he just wanted to get the game over so he could collect his check and get back to his more accustomed environs.

It should also be noted that one of the fouls against Crawford(?) came after a Dayton player traveled and there still wasn't any contact between Crawford and the Dayton player.

I was absolutely livid after that play. Just embarrassing.

I thought the ovation for Jett when he came back in last night was one of the cooler things I've seen

And agreed. I was so worried when he left for the locker room. Myself and the folks around me came to the consensus that it was a bad dead-leg. It didn't seem to affect him much after he came back.

It should also be noted that one of the fouls against Crawford(?) came after a Dayton player traveled and there still wasn't any contact between Crawford and the Dayton player.

With a minute to go in the game and down 3, the refs called 5 seconds on Dayton. I haven't seen something like that since Josh Fischer was called for it while driving to the lane against Marquette.

Calling 5 seconds at that point is as generous as a call as you'll ever see (unless its a phantom call like the one that apparently happened in Columbia to give them the winning fts).

There were plenty of calls that went against us too, of course.

I was absolutely livid after that play. Just embarrassing.

And agreed. I was so worried when he left for the locker room. Myself and the folks around me came to the consensus that it was a bad dead-leg. It didn't seem to affect him much after he came back.

I think it affected him big time. After he came back he couldnt get all the way to the rim anymore. That second boost of speed he has was gone. Afyer the injury he basically became a distributor. He finally took one to the rim towards the end but it was his only drove of the second half and he missed the shot. A healthy JJ would have taken over down the stretch but that JJ wasnt available.

I think it affected him big time. After he came back he couldnt get all the way to the rim anymore. That second boost of speed he has was gone. Afyer the injury he basically became a distributor. He finally took one to the rim towards the end but it was his only drove of the second half and he missed the shot. A healthy JJ would have taken over down the stretch but that JJ wasnt available.

I interpreted that as more fatigue than anything. But I guess the argument is there for both sides, and the latter seems more likely. Unfortunate for damn sure...

It's not so much the making of fouls even-it's all the non travel calls that allowed baskets to be made

The refusal to call traveling has also been a perpetual problem with the A10 zebras. Jump stop notwithstanding, you still cannot run with the ball without dribbling. Even Crews got on the ref once for that non-call on a made UD "drive" to the hoop. The A10 evidently allows Army/Marine Basketball.

Then at one point, the zebras inexplicably called traveling on UD at one end, and on Evans at the other end. Even Steve Wolfe on the CBS Sports Network telecast, the old Xavier guard, correctly said Evans did not travel.

With a minute to go in the game and down 3, the refs called 5 seconds on Dayton. I haven't seen something like that since Josh Fischer was called for it while driving to the lane against Marquette.

Calling 5 seconds at that point is as generous as a call as you'll ever see (unless its a phantom call like the one that apparently happened in Columbia to give them the winning fts).

There were plenty of calls that went against us too, of course.

It was SLU's home court- good call ...

But note that call was not made by the visiting zebra.

By the way, the CBS Sports Network cameras showed a nice profile shot of you when Jordair Jett re-entered the game.

The refusal to call traveling has also been a perpetual problem with the A10 zebras. Jump stop notwithstanding, you still cannot run with the ball without dribbling. Even Crews got on the ref once for that non-call on a made UD "drive" to the hoop. The A10 evidently allows Army/Marine Basketball.

Then at one point, the zebras inexplicably called traveling on UD at one end, and on Evans at the other end. Even Steve Wolfe on the CBS Sports Network telecast, the old Xavier guard, correctly said Evans did not travel.

That call was ridiculous. Not even close to a travel.

Crawford slapped at the SVU player (and fouled him) before the travel. The couple of guys around me thought the same thing. My issue with the call was the ridiculously late whistle. It's as if he wouldn't have called the foul if the offensive player hadn't traveled.

Gentlemen ---- Dayton played Kavanaugh, Pollard, Pierre, Oliver, Robinson and even Sanford on Dwayne. That is 30 hard fouls to give and while I don't advocate thuggery, it's a good strategy.

Is Evans hurt? I know he fell on his hip at VCU but Steve Wolf kept saying he thought Evans wasn't right and that then changed into Evans is hurt and now for two days on here, we've been talking about Evans being hurt. Is he? You can believe Steve Wolf,the same guy who told the very touching story about JASON Brown if you like, but I tend to believe Steve doesn't get all the facts straight.

I think what BAB is talking about with the refs is just something known as consistency. Wasn't it the Rhode Island game where the Ram got the rebound off a free throw miss and they granted URI a timeout at the apex of his jump? Now that was written off to Hurley saying before the shot "if we get this rebound I want time" but the whistle was given before feet were back on the ground meaning possession was yet to be established (you can't call timeout going out of bounds in mid-air anymore). And we can't get this one? Hmmm. As always, the refs confound me, no use talking in greater depth.

I noticed Archie had enough sense with 48 seconds to go in the half to calling his use/lose timeout and setting a play. But not JC. Just saying it might have served a better purpose to 1) diagram a play and 2) get Glaze off the court. A closing lineup of Loe, Barnett, McCall, McBroom and Crawford puts three ball threats all over the place.

Same with the last timeout with 10 seconds to go. Down three. Lose Jett. Lose Evans. Get the bombers out there for more options. We had the proper amount of time. I was happy Jake took the shot. He gave it his best and it failed. That happens at times in life. No, once again, that game was lost on the foul line. And in the fact that two of our five players were "hurt." I think. Had to be --- how else do you explain Dwayne, the beast of the lane, opting for a fall away jumper with Matt "Slugger" Kavanaugh on him? Evans' power moves eat Slugger up. But not last night.

And will someone answer the question posed in the start of this thread? Because now, if they are hurt and the seeding is wrapped up, what answer do you employ for Sunday? Play 'em or rest 'em?