Ikenna O update

It has been discussed on this board that our area of need is a 3/4 replacement for Dwayne Evans...ideally a JUCO or prep to give us experience and to balance out our classes.

Agree, but if the African version of Psycho T wants to play here ... and can qualify academically ... African Jolly Jamtime!

At my age my game is no longer what it once was. Yet I am certain I could put up better numbers than Ikenna is putting up against that competition. Doubt he is at the level of any other bigs coming in next season.

I saw this kid multiple times @ Simon, and was pretty impressed. Ike is powerful -- it was hard to believe he was at that time a junior in high school, he looked like Moses Malone out there. who knows, maybe he is still growing. I do think he is raw and a "project" for sure -- but the upside is, well, pretty up there. I know for a fact that the coaching staff was very intrigued.

as for replacing DE: I think people get too fixated on specifics. If this kid can learn to post up, and combine a few buckets and put backs with vicious defense and rebounding and shot blocking -- well, that about covers it. I say sign him up and put Reggie on him for a couple years, and wow!

Evans is a great player and one of the best in the league, but is his skill set that difficult to replace?

Yes, it is that difficult. If it was that easy to replace we'd already have his replacement in the wings. Put differently, how many SF/PF combos have we had in the program as good as him over the last 20 years?

Yes, it is that difficult. If it was that easy to replace we'd already have his replacement in the wings. Put differently, how many SF/PF combos have we had in the program as good as him over the last 20 years?

Absolutely none.

You answered your question in the first part of your sentence.

I am looking more at his skill set rather than his production and was agreeing with DoctorB. Dwight Evans is a fantastic player, but his role on offense seems replaceable. Didn't Conklin play a fairly similar role? It would be easier to talk about than post about since it probably comes across as me minimizing Evans. I will just drop it.

I really like DE and am so proud of how far he has come. He'll be very hard to replace but such is life in D-1. And it's true, he is all A-10; but what kind of recruit was he??

I do think it's worth recalling that he was not considered such a great get, coming in. I remember seeing him the first few times in open gym and being pleasantly surprised by what I saw there. I knew right away he could easily be a better player than Tommie Liddell, who was much more heralded. A lot of that is work ethic, and good coaching. Same with Brian Conklin, by the way-- he worked really hard and he was and is a great kid.

so I think what chosen one is getting at is basically correct: DE and BC were not in the elite 4-*** category coming in, athletically or skill set wise. But they worked hard and became excellent upper-classmen players and students. I think this sort of patience and coaching will characterize a good program like ours, going forward -- and if we can balance out classes, it takes a lot of pressure off under classmen too, which is good.

I saw this kid multiple times @ Simon, and was pretty impressed. Ike is powerful -- it was hard to believe he was at that time a junior in high school, he looked like Moses Malone out there. who knows, maybe he is still growing. I do think he is raw and a "project" for sure -- but the upside is, well, pretty up there. I know for a fact that the coaching staff was very intrigued.

as for replacing DE: I think people get too fixated on specifics. If this kid can learn to post up, and combine a few buckets and put backs with vicious defense and rebounding and shot blocking -- well, that about covers it. I say sign him up and put Reggie on him for a couple years, and wow!

As I recall good Dr. You were the one ( and only one ) that called Evans a potential star.

I really like DE and am so proud of how far he has come. He'll be very hard to replace but such is life in D-1. And it's true, he is all A-10; but what kind of recruit was he??

I do think it's worth recalling that he was not considered such a great get, coming in. I remember seeing him the first few times in open gym and being pleasantly surprised by what I saw there. I knew right away he could easily be a better player than Tommie Liddell, who was much more heralded. A lot of that is work ethic, and good coaching. Same with Brian Conklin, by the way-- he worked really hard and he was and is a great kid.

so I think what chosen one is getting at is basically correct: DE and BC were not in the elite 4-*** category coming in, athletically or skill set wise. But they worked hard and became excellent upper-classmen players and students. I think this sort of patience and coaching will characterize a good program like ours, going forward -- and if we can balance out classes, it takes a lot of pressure off under classmen too, which is good.

Actually he was considered a good get. He was the first part of the tandem of him and MM. Now was he a 4 star player - no but he had a good rep.