GDT: Richmond

b.hayes

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I walked up slightly late due to crowd at Vito's and an impromptu return to STL. The only seat available was the $32 ticket and I was buying a single ticket.

Coach Crews said we may see some stuff this game we haven't seen all season right. I didn't notice anything new but perhaps the lead was substantial so there was no need.

Also check out Hotel Ingacio nice place and quick walk across the street to the Chaifetz.

g

I thought our offense was completely different. The bigs rotated out to pick high, but never did. Instead they rotated to the corner and left lanes to the basket for our guards. Richmond was unable to stop the guards from getting to the basket or penetrating and shooting the ten footer. No pick and pops and few three attempts out of our offense. Most were from penetration and kick outs.

It was a total butt kicking!!

g

I thought our offense was completely different. The bigs rotated out to pick high, but never did. Instead they rotated to the corner and left lanes to the basket for our guards. Richmond was unable to stop the guards from getting to the basket or penetrating and shooting the ten footer. No pick and pops and few three attempts out of our offense. Most were from penetration and kick outs.

I'm not a savvy enough x and o guy, but it sure seemed that our offense produced a lot of easy 2pt attempts. We only took 12 3 point attempts and a couple of those were late in the shot clock, heave it up there shots.

So, my question, were the tweaks in the offense and the related success products of Richmond's unique D or is it something that can be carried over for the rest of the season? We had a couple of hiccups, but the offense we ran in the first have was unbelievably good.

g

Good analysis. Far fewer on-ball screens than we normally run. Lots of penetration and exposure of various mismatches. I don't know how many times I saw MM guarded by a big or JJ guarded by Anthony (who had no prayer of guarding JJ).

Great game. I liked the way we completely took away the back door cuts of their offense. Much less aggressive in the passing lanes giving them a bit more space but completely taking away the back door in doing so. You have to be pretty fundamentally sound with good footwork to play up on their guards and still stop the back door cuts. I saw numerous times where we just jammed their cutter and redirected their route. We effectively turned them into a team of players needing to make individual plays. Great job guys

I'm not a savvy enough x and o guy, but it sure seemed that our offense produced a lot of easy 2pt attempts. We only took 12 3 point attempts and a couple of those were late in the shot clock, heave it up there shots.

So, my question, were the tweaks in the offense and the related success products of Richmond's unique D or is it something that can be carried over for the rest of the season? We had a couple of hiccups, but the offense we ran in the first have was unbelievably good.

Crews was asked by a reporter prior to the game...."since you have this long winning streak, are you just going to do more of the same against Richmond ?" He answered emphatically no. That the Bills were going to change things up...do things completely opposite from what they had been doing all season to deal with the Richmond defense.

Seems to have worked.

Crews was asked by a reporter prior to the game...."since you have this long winning streak, are you just going to do more of the same against Richmond ?" He answered emphatically no. That the Bills were going to change things up...do things completely opposite from what they had been doing all season to deal with the Richmond defense.

Seems to have worked.

Saw that and agreed that it worked. Just wondering if it's an offense he thinks he can implement the rest of the season or if Richmond's defense was unique and it was mainly for this matchup only.

I suspect JC will implement the tweaks based on opponents, but man, that was some great offense last night.

I saw this game from almost floor level (thanks mt) From tv and even high in the stands you have no idea how physical we play defense. Mccall on the their tiny little pg (anothony?) in the first half was probably the most amazing defense I've ever seen on a basketball court. The Spiders ONLY chance at this game was to hit all of those contested threes that they missed. Best game I've seen in person in a while.

Excellent 1st half on both ends. We were ready from the opening tap. The 2nd half was sloppy to say the least. Lots of TO's after Richmond put the press on. We may see a lot more full court pressure so we need to work on it.

Most of our 2nd half TOs were just due to carelessness, a lack of concern for taking care of the ball. If we were in a closer game I'm hoping those things would not have been an issue, but it did take away from an otherwise great game. The first half defense would have been good enough to be in the lead against anyone.. JC really had them ready to go.