This mornings Pomeroy ratings

brianstl

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Until somebody can hit consistently from the perimeter this offense will continue to struggle - clearly JB is not the guy - 0-9 from the 3 last night - I guess it was good that he kept trying but really 0-9.

Misread the stat sheet - I guess JB was only 0-7. I agree with Brian that MM is our hope to improve the 3 pt shooting. I guess Rob could help but he has not been consistent either.

Someone, besides AM, has to step up as a sniper from 3 land. My bet would be on MM or RL. If we don't get this, DE's gonna be doubled and tripled every game. Also, time to start looking for RL to take some pressure off DE on the inside.

Jm is at 33% he's turned into that sniper.

We moved up to 21. Defense now sits at #2 in the country. Offense dropped from 100 to 122. Fix some of the problems on offense and this can be a really special season.

I'm all for the use of computer rankings like Pomeroy's but the fact we moved up last night because the final margin was 8 (instead of the predicted 3) does show the flaw in some of the calculations.

Pomeroy is always a joke. 21st?

It is early to accurately do the KenPon, Sagarrin, RPI ratings but we are about 40-45 at this point. We have no top quality wins and no top 25-40 opponents in sight.

Nice win in Nashville, that helps a bit, but we need a 9-1 run or so to show an impressive overall W-L record to get into the top 25. And there are not any top opponents coming up until VCU mid February; maybe Dayton if they keep winning. We can get there if we do the job.

Pomeroy? :lol:

I'm all for the use of computer rankings like Pomeroy's but the fact we moved up last night because the final margin was 8 (instead of the predicted 3) does show the flaw in some of the calculations.

Killjoy.

It is early to accurately do the KenPon, Sagarrin, RPI ratings but we are about 40-45 at this point. We have no top quality wins and no top 25-40 opponents in sight.

Nice win in Nashville but we need a 9-1 run or so to show an impressive overall W-L record to get into the top 25. And there are not any top opponents coming up until VCU mid February; maybe Dayton if they keep winning.

You were critical of the computer rankings all year last year. Whether it was Pomeroy, Sagarin or the Wiz, you constantly excoriated them for being wrong. Then, we end up in the top 20 teams at year end. Maybe it was you that was completely, totally, and unambiguously wrong the entire year!

Nice win in Nashville but we need a 9-1 run or so to show an impressive overall W-L record to get into the top 25. And there are not any top opponents coming up until VCU mid February; maybe Dayton if they keep winning.

How many times did we have this conversation last year.

And how did it not dawn on you that last year you kept saying Pomeroy (and the Wiz) ranked us too high until we kept winning and all of a sudden or voting rankings and RPI were higher than the Pomeroy and Wiz rankings. Maybe, just maybe the Pomeroy and Wiz rankings had it right all along and the others were behind the times.

Mike McCall is the guy that has to get going from 3 point land. He is better than a 30% 3pt shooter. If McCall starts shooting from the 3 at the rate he has prior to this year, it will help open up things.

Could not agree more. When he shoots in rhythm he is as good of a shooter as this program has had in a while. If there is a big three that needs to be taken I would still want Mike to take it, even though I acknowledge McBroom's better perecentage

Please mark me as an MBM if you wish, but I really do not see any significantly challenging games for us in the schedule other than the away UMass, VCU and Dayton games. As of now we have a string of 6 wins. I see no reason at all we should not win against Yale or Rhode Island, which will give us a very doable 8 win string. Dayton's 1/11 game will be away and may be more of a challenge. However, if we win it, we will have a winning string of 9 games. After that we have a number of other very winnable games ahead (7 of them) until the VCU game of 2/15 which will be difficult. If we win over Dayton 1/11 we may have a string of 16 wins to look forward to before the VCU game. Not a bad prospect as far as I am concerned.

Please mark me as an MBM if you wish, but I really do not see any significantly challenging games for us in the schedule other than the away UMass, VCU and Dayton games. As of now we have a string of 6 wins. I see no reason at all we should not win against Yale or Rhode Island, which will give us a very doable 8 win string. Dayton's 1/11 game will be away and may be more of a challenge. However, if we win it, we will have a winning string of 9 games. After that we have a number of other very winnable games ahead (7 of them) until the VCU game of 2/15 which will be difficult. If we win over Dayton 1/11 we may have a string of 16 wins to look forward to before the VCU game. Not a bad prospect as far as I am concerned.

Rhode Island is worrisome. Have you seen the recent results?

Rhode Island is worrisome. Have you seen the recent results?

I agree that we have a bad history with Rhode Island, and I also agree they seem to have tightened their game considerably from the start of the season. It is an away game and it is in RI. However that said I do not see Rhode Island at a level that would give us significant reason for concern, I think Vanderbilt is a lot better than they are.

il_340x270.287683628.jpg

TURN THAT SH.IT OFF.

How does that show any flaws? The game was expected to go down to the final possession, and it was over before then, so we moved up.

How does that show any flaws? The game was expected to go down to the final possession, and it was over before then, so we moved up.

I doubt anybody that watched that game would describe it as an 8 point victory. It was a super tight game with an inflated margin of victory based on fts and fouling at the end.

I doubt anybody that watched that game would describe it as an 8 point victory. It was a super tight game with an inflated margin of victory based on fts and fouling at the end.

I feel like that's just the nature of how college basketball games go and that in a model like Pomeroy's those intricacies would level out over the course of a season.