Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello slu fans, Illini fan here and I promise I come in peace.  Been checking these boards occasionally for the past few months and thought I would weigh in/share info.  First off , congrats on landing Goodwin and Gordon.  It seems Ford is on the right track to turn your program around .  As for this Tilmon recruitment, what a wild one.  Hard to say for sure what we are gonna find out tomorrow.  I have been hearing mixed messages.  Now, I'm not a true insider but from being on the Illinois Loyalty boards for several years now, I do know which posters have legit info (which is only about 3-4), and which ones are trolls .  I can say that the one poster who has been 100% accurate in the recruitment of the ESL players said that tomorrow will be a good day.   He has never led us wrong and even warned us 2 weeks before any news broke that things had changed with Goodwin.  I'm thinking the whole Corey Evans/Jerry Meyer twitter thing may just be to get page clicks, but who knows.   One thing I have learned over the years following recruiting is you never know what's gonna happen

4 minutes ago, CGMAN618 said:

Hello slu fans, Illini fan here and I promise I come in peace.  Been checking these boards occasionally for the past few months and thought I would weigh in/share info.  First off , congrats on landing Goodwin and Gordon.  It seems Ford is on the right track to turn your program around .  As for this Tilmon recruitment, what a wild one.  Hard to say for sure what we are gonna find out tomorrow.  I have been hearing mixed messages.  Now, I'm not a true insider but from being on the Illinois Loyalty boards for several years now, I do know which posters have legit info (which is only about 3-4), and which ones are trolls .  I can say that the one poster who has been 100% accurate in the recruitment of the ESL players said that tomorrow will be a good day.   He has never led us wrong and even warned us 2 weeks before any news broke that things had changed with Goodwin.  I'm thinking the whole Corey Evans/Jerry Meyer twitter thing may just be to get page clicks, but who knows.   One thing I have learned over the years following recruiting is you never know what's gonna happen

I think we all agree it would be an upset if Tilmon doesn't select IU. Not sure why SLU or even KU has been dragged in this situation if he was going to sign anyway. Also, if Groce went to his home in ESL, don't you think Ford would have been there as well since it's just a few minutes away. Either way, I hope he doesn't pull the hat game crap.

31 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

Why would Groce have a press conference right after the Tilmon decision unless he signed...unless it is to resign.

Was groce's press conference announced today?

Quick question, does a school need to have the NLI by midnight or does it only need to be somehow verifiable that it was signed by midnight?  It appears to me on the NCAA site that the letter only needs to be signed by midnight.  Is it possible that at up until Tilmon's announcement the school he signed with won't know Tilmon signed their NLI?

2 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

I think we all agree it would be an upset if Tilmon doesn't select IU. Not sure why SLU or even KU has been dragged in this situation if he was going to sign anyway. Also, if Groce went to his home in ESL, don't you think Ford would have been there as well since it's just a few minutes away. Either way, I hope he doesn't pull the hat game crap.

I agree.  I can say that the whole inferiority complex with a lot of fans runs much deeper than just the Alexander hat trick (which was the ultimate d**k move, considering 1 hour before he told Groce he was coming to Ill)  It really started back with Eric Gordon and his signing day flip.  The night before his father was on Illinois boards posting that he was coming there.  That's why there was so much hatred toward his family when they played in Champaign the following year, someone got kicked out for throwing something at his father.  Also, I think it was the day before Cliff Alexander, we had Quentin Snyder who had committed to us then pulled a signing day flip and faxed his letter to Louisville, so that's why alot of fans are that way

10 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Was groce's press conference announced today?

No, it had been scheduled for a while.  it was a press conference to announce the 2017 class of commits.  He has held one every year the day after the end of the fall signing period.  That's one reason that makes me think he did sign with us.  Can't imagine Groce would move it back till after Tilmon announces if he knows Tilmon is going elsewhere.  Can you imagine the amount of questions he would have to field as to why he lost him?  I wouldn't want to deal with that.  lol

16 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Quick question, does a school need to have the NLI by midnight or does it only need to be somehow verifiable that it was signed by midnight?  It appears to me on the NCAA site that the letter only needs to be signed by midnight.  Is it possible that at up until Tilmon's announcement the school he signed with won't know Tilmon signed their NLI?

I'm not 100% sure about that but I thought it had to be signed and turned in.   Now, turned in could mean just to the NCAA and not the school so I guess the school might not know

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Just to remind everybody, we already have a great team in terms of talent for next year, with or without Tilmon. It would be nice to have him for sure, but we will be fine without him.

Does this mean we can't count on you to pony up any of the cash?

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Just to remind everybody, we already have a great team in terms of talent for next year, with or without Tilmon. It would be nice to have him for sure, but we will be fine without him.

For sure. The kid got cold feet for a few days, and Frank probably ran a little too quickly with that news, pointing to SLU. Of course that was going to get us going while spazzing out the Illinois fans, who are umm, a mixed bag to say the lea$t.

We landed an A+ '17 class, AND THEN got a commit from an '18 5-star. The Tilmon news was literally a "is this real life" moment. Way too good to be true -- but with Coach Ford, everything has been coming up Bills, so who could blame us.

I wish Tilmon all the best at Illinois, and as always, f--- Kansas 

43 minutes ago, wgstl said:

It's kind of odd for Stu to RT this (as he has) with zero context behind it lol. It could mean Tilmon led Goodwin on a little too much with regards to coming here... or it could mean, I don't know, anything else in the world 

9 hours ago, Westy03 said:

They moved the time to after Tilmons announcement. He's going there

The official story from the athletic department is that the time of the press conference was moved to not conflict with a women's basketball game that tips off at noon.  Good chance that could just be a cover story.

5 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

LOL, Illinois fans. They continue to trash Goodwin. "Wow. He's so immature. He's got a real ax to grind. He must feel regret."

I've never seen a more insecure bunch. 

Do you blame them? We would still be pissed if Alexander did that to us.

Wouldnt it be funny Tilmon signed with Kansas though.

Just now, Franchise_08 said:

Do you blame them? We would still be pissed if Alexander did that to us.

Wouldnt it be funny Tilmon signed with Kansas though.

Yes, I blame them for trashing a 17 year old and accusing him of taking money to go to a school 20 mins from his house rather than a middle of the road Big10 team that has a coach who is on the hot seats.

This board calls kids "tools" as a joke and moves on.