Billiken Madness

slu72 fan

I'd say conservative estimate was 800 fans. No more than 1000.

Best part of it was the Billikens rummage sale. I wasn't expecting much but they had some decent gear. Tons of recent Men's and Women's practive and game jerseys. 05 took the only Kevin Lisch jersey. There were plenty Daniel Lisch (hope Roy picked one up) & Brett Thompson jerseys to spare. Also had about 40 pairs of grawer era breakaway pants with the blue and white stripes. Saw several fans wear them during the festivities. I managed to pick up about 20 old media guides and 2 tip off club programs, one from 49 and another from 51 in great condition. Also took home 3 of the rafter banners, I'm assuming the ones that hung at Savvis prior to the move to Chaifetz. Got the Missouri Valley title one, NIT final four and NIT appearances for 5 bucks apiece. Now to find the wall space to hang them.

Billiken Bob announced both the Men and women's teams.

The women had a 10 minute scrimmage. No offense but as a 34 year old, 6'3 gym rat I could score 20 points a game against them. The Stipanovich girl looks to be a player. They need to find a shooter.

In between there was a shooting contest. 4 students, 2 guys, 2 girls, were paired with a player. Ball, Castleman, Evans, & Loe participated with Loe's pairing winning out. Sadly the girl student who shot with Ball was the best female shooter on the court. If she had a couple more inches and some quickness she could probably make the team at least as a walk on.

The men then played a very very loose 10 minute scrimmage. No defense but a couple things can be taken away from it.

After each scrimmage Ramsey had an interview with both coaches.

- One of the most athletic Billikens team I can recall. Everyone can take it to the rack with authority.

- McBroom's defense is still a question mark but he can run a team, smooth point guard, fastest guy out there.

- Glaze looked way more comfortable. He shot 2 3s. Two more than he should ever take in a game.

- Manning will be serviceable. He's a rotation player.

- Yacabou is a specimen. I don't think he'll be a scoring leader but comparable to a more talented, bigger Corey Frazier. Solid starter.

- Not enough time to even evaluate any of the freshman at all. We are so deep though looking at our roster, only one might get any regular minutes if that.

- I thought Agbeko was a legit 6'8 and he can board.

- Lancona might be 6'7 or close to 6'8.

Walkons are Joey Lepak returning, Austin Eagleton 6'3 soph from Springfield Ill (here's an interview with him talking about his experience walking on http://www.channel1450.com/SHG-Grad-Austin-Eagleton-Makes-SLU-Hoops-Team-As-W/17487956 ) & Royc Simpson, 6'0 frosh from Marist HS in Chicago.

The event left a lot to be desired. A lot more pageantry should be involved. We are coming off back to back NCAA titles and a sweep of the A-10. 10 minutes of scrimmage time, really was more of a glorified layup line. We can't have even a real half hour scrimmage with refs, real substitutions, and run a few plays? More of the same amateur hour. Most of us on the board would show up to watch the team run laps but this isn't winning the program any new fans or making anybody want to run to the ticket office and buy a few seats.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Worst accoustics possible no one tested the mikes; JM could not be heard and I was first row floor, center court.

One really hot new cheerleader- blonde- long legs if you like that sort.

JM looked comfortable. GG looked most improved, chiseled- as if he was going to keep RA on the bench.

I have never seen a quicker, well set pick and roll by a 245 pounder than the one RA set early. He is big with amazingly quick feet. He and AY set a new standard for bodies as incoming players-contrasting to Austin McBroom who is the most diminutive but one Charlie Spoonhauer would have held with bated breath.

TL looked like a great get but will not contribute this year unless he is a ferocious rebounder; Mike Crawford did not stand out.

I think the women's coach said they were young five times. The cupboard was left bare.

Blue and White Rawlings basketballs and another brand regulation size basketballs with nice White Billiken on panel were $1 each.

For $25 i got blue sleeveless warm up with Ed Mc Cauley's number 50 and white "Saint Louis" on front.

Why would they even have a number 50 ? it will go in my office. I mentioned earlier I got vanity plate "EZ ED 50" for my new Lincoln MKZ hybrid.

I'd say conservative estimate was 800 fans. No more than 1000.

Best part of it was the Billikens rummage sale. I wasn't expecting much but they had some decent gear. Tons of recent Men's and Women's practive and game jerseys. 05 took the only Kevin Lisch jersey. There were plenty Daniel Lisch (hope Roy picked one up) & Brett Thompson jerseys to spare. Also had about 40 pairs of grawer era breakaway pants with the blue and white stripes. Saw several fans wear them during the festivities. I managed to pick up about 20 old media guides and 2 tip off club programs, one from 49 and another from 51 in great condition. Also took home 3 of the rafter banners, I'm assuming the ones that hung at Savvis prior to the move to Chaifetz. Got the Missouri Valley title one, NIT final four and NIT appearances for 5 bucks apiece. Now to find the wall space to hang them

Yeah, I wasn't driving 2 hours to St. Louis for that event, given SLU's history of underwhelming at these kind of events, but a little upset I missed the chance to score some old SLU stuff.

Thanks for clearing that up because I realized later there was a decent crowd there from the camera side once I started seeing the pictures. Good to hear but I would love to see this become more of a marquee event that can used to bring in recruits and broadcasted nationally. Those are some goals I tell ya!

If you want this to be a marquee event - I would like it also - you have to schedule it on a day/night when nothing else big is happening. Blues game - they knew about this months ago - Cards in NLCS - ok they can not do anything about this - Octoberfest, every time this month and I would think people could miss one drunken Saturday . When you find out about the Cards game you could have scheduled it later or earlier I guess. I was planning to go but the Cards came trumped it. If they go 800 then that is not terrible. To make this a marquee event they have to do a better planning and advertising scheme. I kept asking for a schedule and never saw or got one. I did not even know they were doing the rummage sale - maybe that was my fault.

I don't ever expect, unless we go to a final 4 or win the whole damn ball of wax, a madness event will ever be that big a deal. While we should never expect a UK or Phog type crowd, there should be some creative thought as to how they can get more students to attend, free pizza maybe? Sparse crowds will probably be the case for the early games as well. The students won't turn out in full force until they see the ESPN or CBS trailer parked outside the Fetz. Then of course they'll all become SLUnatics.

I don't ever expect, unless we go to a final 4 or win the whole damn ball of wax, a madness event will ever be that big a deal. While we should never expect a UK or Phog type crowd, there should be some creative thought as to how they can get more students to attend, free pizza maybe? Sparse crowds will probably be the case for the early games as well. The students won't turn out in full force until they see the ESPN or CBS trailer parked outside the Fetz. Then of course they'll all become SLUnatics.

With the two current students in charge the student section is in trouble. They put 0 effort into their "jobs" and really only view it is a resume builder...it's upto the athletic department for now...

For $25 i got blue sleeveless warm up with Ed Mc Cauley's number 50 and white "Saint Louis" on front.

Why would they even have a number 50 ? it will go in my office. I mentioned earlier I got vanity plate "EZ ED 50" for my new Lincoln MKZ hybrid.

The 50 was from a women's team jersey.

am i right in hearing that SLU did once have a televised midnight madness at west pine during the spoon years? heard it didn't go well

In 1996 they had one that was televised and did a pretty good job in West Pine Gym with celebrity guest slam dunk contest judges. I think Brett Hull was a celebrity guest judge. I remember it was a good event but I was a freshman and had a lot to drink. I recall slamming a few beers in the West Pine Bathroom and the Billiken had to get in there to change or something. The team proceeded to stink that year.

I was there too. Anthony Bonner was there and it was televised on ESPN I think.

In 1996 they had one that was televised and did a pretty good job in West Pine Gym with celebrity guest slam dunk contest judges. I think Brett Hull was a celebrity guest judge. I remember it was a good event but I was a freshman and had a lot to drink. I recall slamming a few beers in the West Pine Bathroom and the Billiken had to get in there to change or something. The team proceeded to stink that year.