Goodman-ESPN A10 Rankings

I'm not an ESPN Insider, but for some reason if I click Goodman's link on twitter I am able to get the mobile version of the story. Here is his blurb on SLU:

2. Saint Louis Billikens
Jim Crews took over on an interim basis for the late Rick Majerus and led the Billikens to a regular-season conference title and also a league tournament championship. Now he's the permanent head coach and leads a veteran team that returns four starters. Seniors Dwayne Evans, Jordair Jett, Mike McCall Jr., and Rob Loe are all back. Junior Grandy Glaze also started plenty of games last season. Crews will have to try and replace Kwamain Mitchell and Cody Ellis, but the key for the team's success last season came on the defensive end. If that continues, the Billikens will battle again for one of the top spots in the league.

His rankings go 1. VCU, 2. SLU, 3. LaSalle, 4. UMass, 5. Dayton (lol), 6. Richmond, 7. G Mason, 8. St. Joe's, 9. Rhody, 10. GW, 11. Bonnies, 12. Fordham, 13. Dukes

well . . . . I must say, always a surprise how little regard we seem to having among the "expert" scribes. VCU is the darling, still, even after we hammered them pretty good just months ago. I'm not really all that big on preseason prognosticators, but I still am surprised ... so now I am expecting NOT to be ranked in the top 25 very quickly, even though I rather doubt there are 25 better teams.

that said, I like being overlooked. so we can go in and hammer them again. it is much better than being hyped, then getting whipped.

In both cases, ya still gotta play the games ...

(same goes for the Rams vs. the over-hyped Seahawks and 49ers, but that's another OT thread ....)

ESPN "Summer Shootaround" notebook on the A-10:

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/summershootaround130806/atlantic-10

5 freshmen to watch:

Tanner Lancona, Saint Louis: Coach Jim Crews picked up one of the league's steals when Lancona, a former Washington State signee, chose the Billikens over multiple high-major programs. The 6-8 forward averaged 19.0 PPG and 11.0 RPG as a senior star in California. Lancona could make an immediate impact.

I HATE (not the Jimbo hate, real hate) these ridiculously vague pre-season best case/worst case scenarios: "Best case, the Bills play as well or better than last year. Worst case, they don't." Groundbreaking.

I HATE (not the Jimbo hate, real hate) these ridiculously vague pre-season best case/worst case scenarios: "Best case, the Bills play as well or better than last year. Worst case, they don't." Groundbreaking.

Agreed. All of this summer round-up/summary/pre-season articles are pretty bland and don't offer much insight at all. That being said, I would rather have these meaningless articles written about the A-10/SLU than nothing at all.

Point of reference: last year's prognosticators selected Saint Joseph's as the team to beat in the A10. How'd that work out? Point #2: they also identified Keith Carter as the potential freshman/steal of note and that Big Ten teams would be lamenting losing him to the A10. Now? Valpo. . So it cuts both ways.

My points:

VCU -- leadership void. Not yet sold on Weber replacing Theus and having a strong enough hold on that run-n-gun circus. If the college game is a guards' game, I'd think you'd need a point in support of having all the other studs as well.

La Salle -- all guards and what happens if the buzzer beaters go the other way? Galloway was a key cog for that group and took the preponderance of those last shots; maybe Garland steps up but Garland is a slasher, not yet a jump shooter.

SLU -- not so much replacing Ellis and Mitchell, but replacing what they did in terms of leadership, floor spacing, rotation, defense. If you start Glaze and Jett, your only experience bench player is Barnett. Gonna need more.

Umass -- this team has scared me since day one of Chaz Williams. But as kwijybo notes, the coaching is suspect and Chaz can be a TO machine.

Dayton -- the next great savior is here in Sibert, following in the footsteps of Brooks Hall, Chris Wright, Mickey Perry, Kevin Dillard and Vee Sanford. Yeah, yeah, yeah, the YouDee beat goes on, and on, and on, and ...

Richmond -- here's a little engine that could/yoyo program. Up year, down year, up year, down year. Time for another up?

Mason -- don't know much about them so I will be shocked at whatever they do. Might surprise the whole league.

St. Joe's -- when does the Phil Martelli death watch start? When does th eluster of onemagical season fade to black? Roberts will be good. This Galloway has underachieved, and Kanesivic is a thug. Not much more to go on but fumes.

Rhodey -- I have nothing bad to say about them but Danny Hurley is already getting on my nerves.

GeeDub -- bottom feeder potential in bottom feeder facilities. Although Larsen and Armwood will make them imposing on the blocks they still don't have guards. Garino is an interesting interntional 2/3 player.

Bonnies -- Y2AA -- year two after andrew (nicholson) and the cupboard is again bare. When your stud is Youssou Ndaye, you've got a loooong way to go Mark Schmidt. Nice move getting that extension YOU (year of andrew). Yer gonna need it.

Fordham -- how can you not root for Fordham? They remind me of us back in the Ekker dark ages. Jio Fontane and Chris Gaston and Brendan Frazier and Travion Leonard all seemed to be some talent. Just never jelled I guess.

Duquesne -- back in the early 70's, I had considered going there. What was I thinking? They appear to be the new Fordham -- which is really a bad thing. They and the Bonnies and Fordham and GeeDub should all give seriosu thought to the America East, Metro Atlantic, Northeast or Patriot leagues. Get with similar competition.

Point of reference: last year's prognosticators selected Saint Joseph's as the team to beat in the A10. How'd that work out? Point #2: they also identified Keith Carter as the potential freshman/steal of note and that Big Ten teams would be lamenting losing him to the A10. Now? Valpo. . So it cuts both ways.

My points:

VCU -- leadership void. Not yet sold on Weber replacing Theus and having a strong enough hold on that run-n-gun circus. If the college game is a guards' game, I'd think you'd need a point in support of having all the other studs as well.

La Salle -- all guards and what happens if the buzzer beaters go the other way? Galloway was a key cog for that group and took the preponderance of those last shots; maybe Garland steps up but Garland is a slasher, not yet a jump shooter.

SLU -- not so much replacing Ellis and Mitchell, but replacing what they did in terms of leadership, floor spacing, rotation, defense. If you start Glaze and Jett, your only experience bench player is Barnett. Gonna need more.

Umass -- this team has scared me since day one of Chaz Williams. But as kwijybo notes, the coaching is suspect and Chaz can be a TO machine.

Dayton -- the next great savior is here in Sibert, following in the footsteps of Brooks Hall, Chris Wright, Mickey Perry, Kevin Dillard and Vee Sanford. Yeah, yeah, yeah, the YouDee beat goes on, and on, and on, and ...

Richmond -- here's a little engine that could/yoyo program. Up year, down year, up year, down year. Time for another up?

Mason -- don't know much about them so I will be shocked at whatever they do. Might surprise the whole league.

St. Joe's -- when does the Phil Martelli death watch start? When does th eluster of onemagical season fade to black? Roberts will be good. This Galloway has underachieved, and Kanesivic is a thug. Not much more to go on but fumes.

Rhodey -- I have nothing bad to say about them but Danny Hurley is already getting on my nerves.

GeeDub -- bottom feeder potential in bottom feeder facilities. Although Larsen and Armwood will make them imposing on the blocks they still don't have guards. Garino is an interesting interntional 2/3 player.

Bonnies -- Y2AA -- year two after andrew (nicholson) and the cupboard is again bare. When your stud is Youssou Ndaye, you've got a loooong way to go Mark Schmidt. Nice move getting that extension YOU (year of andrew). Yer gonna need it.

Fordham -- how can you not root for Fordham? They remind me of us back in the Ekker dark ages. Jio Fontane and Chris Gaston and Brendan Frazier and Travion Leonard all seemed to be some talent. Just never jelled I guess.

Duquesne -- back in the early 70's, I had considered going there. What was I thinking? They appear to be the new Fordham -- which is really a bad thing. They and the Bonnies and Fordham and GeeDub should all give seriosu thought to the America East, Metro Atlantic, Northeast or Patriot leagues. Get with similar competition.

I like this... All negative. Put it on the reader to take it from there.

A note on the media: with the proliferation of "information" in the internet, and with the papers and standard media channels fighting for survival and growth (note, the NYT just sold the Boston Globe for 70 million, they had bought it for 1.3 billion a bit over a decade ago), media has to satisfy what their audience wants to hear. In other words, people seek affirmation, not necessarily information. The whole business of providing early rankings previews is one way in which the beliefs of the intended audience may be affirmed. Therefore and until real numbers from games won and lost are available, what you are going to find in the media previews is largely based upon reputation and subjective feelings about specific teams. SLU does not (yet) have enough sequential winning seasons to be a media darling, therefore we are not likely to do well in these previews, however these previews have limited contact with reality. At least that is my opinion in this matter.

Taj just provided his own ranking of the A10 teams based upon his own, very broad, knowledge and experience. This is very much appreciated, thank you for this. I read it as a reminder that no team is perfect, and no team can be predicted to be perfect before the playing starts.

I know you have quoted me as think something is wrong with Derek Kellogg but that is not exactly my point (Kellogg's deficiency is not caring about the whole player when he recruits them more than "poor coaching" once he gets them). The team does not play very smart and has played inconsistently on defense (giving a lot to presses but standing in the half court). Gordon is a good defender and maybe he will inspire others going forward. Anyway, that deficiency may be the coaches fault but it probably is more complicated than that (I certainly have seen Kellogg screaming at his players to play better defense and benching goes for poor D but UMass' defensive efficiency never really got better). Personally, I think the intensity they brought to the full court defense wore them out for half-court D; even Kellogg minimized the full court pressure as the season went on.

Next year they are going to need shooters as well (no Riley or Morgan).

A note on the media: with the proliferation of "information" in the internet, and with the papers and standard media channels fighting for survival and growth (note, the NYT just sold the Boston Globe for 70 million, they had bought it for 1.3 billion a bit over a decade ago), media has to satisfy what their audience wants to hear. In other words, people seek affirmation, not necessarily information. The whole business of providing early rankings previews is one way in which the beliefs of the intended audience may be affirmed. Therefore and until real numbers from games won and lost are available, what you are going to find in the media previews is largely based upon reputation and subjective feelings about specific teams. SLU does not (yet) have enough sequential winning seasons to be a media darling, therefore we are not likely to do well in these previews, however these previews have limited contact with reality. At least that is my opinion in this matter.

Taj just provided his own ranking of the A10 teams based upon his own, very broad, knowledge and experience. This is very much appreciated, thank you for this. I read it as a reminder that no team is perfect, and no team can be predicted to be perfect before the playing starts.

Yeah, but if you get some B-Lister wearing our gear at the Barclays in Brooklyn, you'll see a Spike in media attention.

Bobby, I agree you are right but that is the way it is. Spike will attract attention of the media, and Spike with a VCU shirt posing next to Shaka will bring even more attention to Shaka and VCU. I did not invent the system, it is the way it works.

Yeah, but if you get some B-Lister wearing our gear at the Barclays in Brooklyn, you'll see a Spike in media attention.

Perhaps rapper Mac Miller can be SLU's B-Lister:

Instead of letting his openers have all the fun, Miller popped up during both Chance the Rapper and Earl Sweatshirt’s sets to spray the crowd with Super Soakers, dance to Nelly’s “Hot in Herre” and show off his custom-made Billikens basketball jersey.

Rapper Mac Miller shows versatility in Pageant performance

Bobby, I agree you are right but that is the way it is. Spike will attract attention of the media, and Spike with a VCU shirt posing next to Shaka will bring even more attention to Shaka and VCU. I did not invent the system, it is the way it works.

Yep. Let the media get bonerz over Shaka. I'm more concerned with the standings.

and here I was thinking you did! :) Total bummer, man.

One more thought to be written about your post Bobby. Shaka as we all know is a very capable and successful coach, but also among his many gifts he has the ability to perceive and exploit chance events and circumstances in a way that benefit himself and VCU. I fully expect to see him in National TV posing next to Spike and any other great names, all of which will most likely be wearing VCU shirts (even if they must be provided by Shaka, assuming they will agree to wear them), all of this done for the sake of increasing the visibility and reputation of VCU. He is a hell of a clever and capable man, Shaka is. Let's hope Crews learns to do similar things as Shaka does, and I am not talking about basketball or coaching I am talking about working the media for the benefit of SLU.

One more thought to be written about your post Bobby. Shaka as we all know is a very capable and successful coach, but also among his many gifts he has the ability to perceive and exploit chance events and circumstances in a way that benefit himself and VCU. I fully expect to see him in National TV posing next to Spike and any other great names, all of which will most likely be wearing VCU shirts (even if they must be provided by Shaka, assuming they will agree to wear them), all of this done for the sake of increasing the visibility and reputation of VCU. He is a hell of a clever and capable man, Shaka is. Let's hope Crews learns to do similar things as Shaka does, and I am not talking about basketball or coaching I am talking about working the media for the benefit of SLU.

Exploit is the key word, old guy. I completely agree. Shaka - the Shah of the Spin! Spike Lee is a "Flavor of the Month" type of guy when it comes to college basketball. He has no true allegiance to any college team, as pointed out by this picture of Lee in a Georgetown shirt.

1050472890.jpg

Or this:

spike-lee-jeremy-lin-harvard-jersey-2.jp

huge USC football fan Spike Lee w/ disgraced Reggie Bush:327431.jpeg

Taj, you are aware that Fordham has a grand total of 8 conference wins in the past 5 seasons, which includes a 41 game conference losing streak from Jan 2009 to March 2011? And they haven't qualified for the A-10 tourney since 2008? Duquesne just had one horrible season after a coaching change, and nearly all the returning players transferred last summer. Saying Duquesne is the new Fordham is a bit of an overreaction. They were very young last season and have a pretty good young PG in Derrick Colter. I expect Fordham and St Bonaventure to battle it out for the cellar this season.