The Rotation (Bigs)

ACE

kshoe reading time = 50 seconds.

Couple of things ....

@kshoe --- I do not believe I said "GG will never improve" but do count me in the camp that isn't expecting much. If I'm wrong, I'll eat that crow easily.

@kshoe --- You are absolutely correct on GG's injury front. I have been a failure in recognizing that. And I had three shoulder separations so I do know what that means. I will factor in some leeway for GG going forward. Thanks for that. But still, not expecting much.

@jbizz --- GG shot 30-for-58 after returning from injury. Still right about 52%. No slap intended at willie.

@ACE --- biggest impact freshmen next year? Got to go with Agbeko. Fifth year high schooler. Not really asked to do more than play 12 minutes a game, average 1.7 points. That's what he'd be replacing if he started for GG. I don't see that as being too hard. Crawford if a 3 is behind DE and JB. I would like to think it wil be TL because we need to find a suitable replacement for what CE brung to the table and we don't have that just yet. But freshmen .....

@skip --- I think I was wrong in missing GG's injury as noted by kshoe. Again, with that kind of injury, he might have NOT been able to raise his arms up to above his head. Let's see what this year brings. And I agree with your assessment re: GG with RA and TL coming in. Adapt or die.

@jmm28 --- cutting big men after two years. No, I won't go that far but there are lots of freshmen in the A10 that played in this their freshman year. Willie Clayton at Charlotte. Jalen Robinson and Devon Scott at Dayton. Kevin Larsen at GeeDub. Jordan Hare at Rhode Island. Nelson-Ododa at Richmond. Why does one have to wait two years to get any return? Maybe one. RA's supposedly coming in and playing? Sure.

@skip -- your statement "JM will improve and play more." I hope you are right. I don't share any enthusiasm for backing that tho right now.

Regarding JM. I believe I went on to say 10-12 mpg and 4-2. I still have hope (though it has faded a lot) that he proves most wrong and a few of us right and becomes a 20 mpg 10 +/- and about 6 player. For this year I'd say a mild improvement in time and stats

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

kshoe reading time = 50 seconds.

Couple of things ....

@kshoe --- I do not believe I said "GG will never improve" but do count me in the camp that isn't expecting much. If I'm wrong, I'll eat that crow easily.

@kshoe --- You are absolutely correct on GG's injury front. I have been a failure in recognizing that. And I had three shoulder separations so I do know what that means. I will factor in some leeway for GG going forward. Thanks for that. But still, not expecting much.

@jbizz --- GG shot 30-for-58 after returning from injury. Still right about 52%. No slap intended at willie.

@ACE --- biggest impact freshmen next year? Got to go with Agbeko. Fifth year high schooler. Not really asked to do more than play 12 minutes a game, average 1.7 points. That's what he'd be replacing if he started for GG. I don't see that as being too hard. Crawford if a 3 is behind DE and JB. I would like to think it wil be TL because we need to find a suitable replacement for what CE brung to the table and we don't have that just yet. But freshmen .....

@skip --- I think I was wrong in missing GG's injury as noted by kshoe. Again, with that kind of injury, he might have NOT been able to raise his arms up to above his head. Let's see what this year brings. And I agree with your assessment re: GG with RA and TL coming in. Adapt or die.

@jmm28 --- cutting big men after two years. No, I won't go that far but there are lots of freshmen in the A10 that played in this their freshman year. Willie Clayton at Charlotte. Jalen Robinson and Devon Scott at Dayton. Kevin Larsen at GeeDub. Jordan Hare at Rhode Island. Nelson-Ododa at Richmond. Why does one have to wait two years to get any return? Maybe one. RA's supposedly coming in and playing? Sure.

@skip -- your statement "JM will improve and play more." I hope you are right. I don't share any enthusiasm for backing that tho right now.

How many of these teams made the NCAA tournament last season? Zero. How many had a winning record in conference? Zero (Charlotte and Richmond went 8-8). Comparing average to bad teams with SLU as places where freshmen were able to get playing time and contribute isn't exactly a compelling argument.

How many of these teams made the NCAA tournament last season? Zero. How many had a winning record in conference? Zero (Charlotte and Richmond went 8-8). Comparing average to bad teams with SLU as places where freshmen were able to get playing time and contribute isn't exactly a compelling argument.

+1 a major difference between elite teams and average teams is depth. We had a lot last year, and it seems like we will have the same this year, especially in the post.

Slow, weak, and afraid to shoot white kids don't have the potential to make a paycheck in the NBA. Yes he had decent size at 6'4 and could pass but my god he never had the potential to make money in the nba

Show some class.

This is a former Billiken who played hard and did well. I'd bet he is faster than you. An ignorant post for several reasons... I will stop at that.

Show some class.

This is a former Billiken who played hard and did well. I'd bet he is faster than you. An ignorant post for several reasons... I will stop at that.

Compared to NBA players, which is the topic at hand, Cassity was slow, weak, and timid. He represented my alma mater in great fashion and played his heart out but no he did not have nba potential at any point in his SLU career.

Compared to NBA players, which is the topic at hand, Cassity was slow, weak, and timid. He represented my alma mater in great fashion and played his heart out but no he did not have nba potential at any point in his SLU career.

+50/50

For the record regarding Crawford's recruitment:

MAYBE Majerus made initial contact but I didn't get the impression he was doing much recruiting last summer. Crawford was a Crews recruit and signed on with Crews knowing there was very little chance that Majerus would ever be coming back.

totally agree with that but crews was never expected to be re hired until the end of the season

What gives you the impression we'll redshirt Crawford other the fact that the coach has changed since his initial recruitment? Crews has shown (with Drew) that if a guy is not in his plans, he'll push for the release. He could have done what Washington State did to Lancona and shove him out. He didn't.

Furthermore, we've already got one scholarship allocated to someone sitting out a year (Yacoubou). We were fine with two guys sitting last year (McBroom and Drew) but do we need two scholarship players redshirting again?

I'm not saying I know anything either way, just some food for thought.

it hinges on there being another transfer or not that sits out

Not to change the subject, but I was wondering which one of our coaches focuses on the big men? I'm not sure I feel they're doing a very good job. CE performed admirably last year, but mainly as an oversized guard (not trying to argue 3,4,5). Loe shows signs of development, but I can't help but feel that happens more when he is in New Zealand.

MC being from Evansville area had to be JC recruit; Larry Hughes did not sit on bench freshman year nor did Michigan's fab five. I expect MC will compete for Barnett or someones' minutes which reminds me of MM getting Kyle Cassity's senior minutes by the time we got to conference play. Speed, ballhandling, defence, all count loyalty to seniors is a nice idea

Geography not being a strong point for many Americans let's say Larry Bird was the greatest basketball player from Indiana. Terra Haute where Indiana State hosted Larry during his college years could be the center of basketball history for all of Indiana especially if you ignore the Pacers and assume Indy is a racing town. My point being most St. Louisans go to Terra Haute to enter Indiana. Then they make choices like Bloomington, Indianapolis, southbend, etc. then suppose you wanted to only drive 100-115 miles:

in the same amount of time you could choose to go to Tipton and see a highschool game or Evansville to se the Purple Aces? Well you have to say to yourself that is about the same thing. Are you still with me? Yes, well then the only remaining question is not will MC be the next Larry Bird but whether he can get any of JB's minutes? I'll bet Barnett is more concerned about that than whether he will get as many minutes as MM or JJ

So in my world Jim Crews is probably the second best coach out of Indiana after Bobby Knight-remember we are leaving the Pacers and the NBA out of this. If you give me that Tipton and Evansville are equidistant from St. Louis then stay with me when I predict MC will have JB's minutes

second semester.

Researching this correction I noticed MC would not be the first Tipton player for Saint Louis and if he is a true Cardinals Fan the he really decided on SLU because of JC and the Cardinals

A guy named Babe started his pro baseball career with the St. Louis Cardinals and probably every kid growing up from now on in Tipton will have choose between the Cards or SLU if their first move is to Saint Louis

MC being from Evansville area had to be JC recruit; Larry Hughes did not sit on bench freshman year nor did Michigan's fab five. I expect MC will compete for Barnett or someones' minutes which reminds me of MM getting Kyle Cassity's senior minutes by the time we got to conference play. Speed, ballhandling, defence, all count loyalty to seniors is a nice idea

So much wrong with this post

kshoe reading time = 15 seconds

Nice job GOSLU68 ..... maybe you should bother to look up Tipton, IN on MapQuest. Self-inflicted wound. Also, comparing 5-star recruits and McDonald All-Americans to a 2-star recruit not so good either.

I hope you are right and MC is good enough to take a majority of JB's minutes.

I also hope RA and or TL are so good that they play 30 mpg by the 5th game.

I hope you are right and MC is good enough to take a majority of JB's minutes.

I also hope RA and or TL are so good that they play 30 mpg by the 5th game.

5th game? Come on Skip, first game. Let's think big.

kshoe reading time = 15 seconds

Nice job GOSLU68 ..... maybe you should bother to look up Tipton, IN on MapQuest. Self-inflicted wound. Also, comparing 5-star recruits and McDonald All-Americans to a 2-star recruit not so good either.

Taj, I would like to congratulate you on a concise post that sufficiently demonstrates that comparing Crawford to Larry Hughes is beyond ridiculous. You didn't even need to rattle off 100 ex-Billikens that weren't as good as Larry Hughes or the Fab 5 to make the point. Well done indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l61LjTwME7w

i think i wrote a song about this once...

"one time an alligator went to a pterodactyl farm and ate up all the staplers* and the little man with all the foghat cds started belching gaelic nursery rhymes to a congregation at the pig orgy..."

* that's my wi-fi password (no spaces, WPA2-Personal TKIP/AES) if you ever want to visit and spout some bills.com nonsense from your compy 64 labtop cumpooter.

i think i wrote a song about this once...

"one time an alligator went to a pterodactyl farm and ate up all the staplers* and the little man with all the foghat cds started belching gaelic nursery rhymes to a congregation at the pig orgy..."

* that's my wi-fi password (no spaces, WPA2-Personal TKIP/AES) if you ever want to visit and spout some bills.com nonsense from your compy 64 labtop cumpooter.

this is also relevant. mods, please merge this with the recruiting thread. thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOvgtvr7p1E